Favors

Cookbook

After much stress of coming up with multiple ideas and scrapping them (too cliche, too useless, too expensive...) we've decided to make mini cookbooks for our favors! I'll admit, I didn't come up with the idea... I saw it at a wedding we attended this past weekend, and we just realized how perfect it would be for us! FI and I met via our vegan food blogs and love cooking and coming up with new recipes together. Our friends are always asking us for our recipes, and we've always wanted to write a cookbook together anyway. We decided that we'll write up our five favorite original recipes, accompanied by photos, print them on card stock/some sort of rustic/yet classy paper, and bind them with twine. 

Any advice? I'm not really sure I know how to go about this! 

Re: Cookbook

• JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015
    You might be better off just doing recipe cards. Any thing bound in twine is just begging for the trash can once I get home. Plus it won't sit nicely on my cookbook shelf with my other books (so maybe Goodwill instead of trash). Recipe cards, however, I can file, put in my other books, etc. so I'd be more likely to keep them/use them personally.

That being said, in this day and age, I tend to use websites for recipes and my iPad to review, not physical cards and books with get stained, torn, and dirty.
  • Gotcha! Thanks for the advice, @jennycolada
  • Agreed on the cards vs. booklet. Original recipes from two food bloggers sounds kind of amazing, though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You might be better off just doing recipe cards. Any thing bound in twine is just begging for the trash can once I get home. Plus it won't sit nicely on my cookbook shelf with my other books (so maybe Goodwill instead of trash). Recipe cards, however, I can file, put in my other books, etc. so I'd be more likely to keep them/use them personally.

That being said, in this day and age, I tend to use websites for recipes and my iPad to review, not physical cards and books with get stained, torn, and dirty.

I agree with this completely. A set of cards would likely be better (and easier for you!) Although I also agree that I typically tend to get my recipes online as opposed to in a book or through a recipe card.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• RezIpsaRezIpsa member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I am vegan and I want to come to your wedding for the cookbooks. This is one of the only favors ever that is usable for me since everyone has nonvegan edibles. I promise to be well behaved and gush about the amazing favors.
  • Thanks for the advice, everyone!

And @rezlpsa lol! Glad you're as excited about this as we are. ;)
  • Thank you so much, @ohannabelle!!! This is so helpful. FI is really excited to assemble these together! I think he's more excited about this than any other wedding detail we've figured out, haha! :) And I'm with you, I have a mix of recipes in different forms... books, cards, internet bookmarks, iphone screenshots...
  • (My FH is vegan and would also love this favor, btw! I'm vegetarian and I'd be interested too)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Thanks for all your awesome advice, everyone! We're so excited to put this together! I'll check back in with the finished product! :)
  • I love the idea of recipe favors! I do think that you'll be better off with the cards though. I'm in the camp who gets recipes offline but still loves my physical cookbooks and recipe books. The big hiccup I see with the paper booklets is that you could laminate a recipe card and not worry about spilling on it while you cook. The booklets could get easily destroyed or wind up costing you a bunch of you try to make them more durable. Good luck!
  • Go for it!!! I vote for a cook book.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards