Chit Chat

Facebook Announcements

I barely Facebook. I'm an occasional lurker, mostly. DH and I want to put an announcement out that we're expecting - no we haven't yet...yes I am almost 6 months along. 

We haven't done anything yet because we have no ideas other than saying "So, I'm knocked up... -- with DHName". No offense if you've done the "eviction notice", the jar of pasta sauce, or "1+1=3" but we're just not into it. 

What announcements have y'all seen that you thought were the least eye-roll worthy and/or cheesy? 
*********************************************************************************

Re: Facebook Announcements

• Well I'm a dog person, so I guess my favorite would be the dog "I'm going to be a big brother/sister" sign.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• oh, for the love of.....everyone....the pasta sauce thing is absurd.

My sister never announced. She basically put up a photo of her, H and their baby the day after she was born. People were SO SHOCKED because, you know, nothing is real if you didn't put it on FB first.

Sonogram photos make me stabby, too. I think a simple "We are excited to announce we will be adding to our family in August!" is sufficient.

Congrats, btw :)
  • Pasta sauce announcement...

• Eviction notice...

This is the first I have seen this (googled it) and I hate it.  It reads as "Sorry first kid, but a second kid is coming that is more important then you so grow the heck up!"

• I like the simple announcements. "H and I are execting a boy in August". Then a pic of your bump if you want.

• sarahufl said:
    oh, for the love of.....everyone....the pasta sauce thing is absurd.

My sister never announced. She basically put up a photo of her, H and their baby the day after she was born. People were SO SHOCKED because, you know, nothing is real if you didn't put it on FB first.

Sonogram photos make me stabby, too. I think a simple "We are excited to announce we will be adding to our family in August!" is sufficient.

This is what I did. I told a few members of my family that don't live near me that we were expecting and most of my FB friends are friends IRL so they already knew. We posted a birth announcement and that was that. I will occasionally post pictures on FB of our son, but not too many and nothing embarrassing. 
  • Most of my friends have done something more on the cutesy side than just saying "H and I would like to announce a new addition to our family coming in whenever" - which I think is perfectly fine btw.

I've seen lots of ones with shoes - pictures of the parents feet with a little pair of baby shoes in the shot as well. 

I don't understand why the guy only has one measly little meatball. Is it supposed to be like "Oh I'm pregnant now so I'm SO HUNGRY so I get ALL THE FOOD" or something like that? I'm not a fan of this. Not at all. I'm so glad I haven't seen it pop up on facebook (yet). 
  • I think any pregnancy announcement on FB is just over kill.  I think my sister, who just had her second kid, finally said something on FB about being pregnant at the 6 or 7 months mark.  No sonogram pics, like one bump pic when she was at 39 weeks and now just a few "here is my new baby" pics.  Even with her first she didn't really do much of anything.

So a simple "Excited to say that we are expecting Baby Southernbelle in MONTH!"

I don't understand why the guy only has one measly little meatball. Is it supposed to be like "Oh I'm pregnant now so I'm SO HUNGRY so I get ALL THE FOOD" or something like that? I'm not a fan of this. Not at all. I'm so glad I haven't seen it pop up on facebook (yet). 
    Yeah, this one really goes into idiotic pregnancy stereotypes that rub me the wrong way.

Probably.  He is also holding a full glass of wine which is also saying "I need to drink like a fish to get through this!"

• The only thing I've seen that was cute but not vomit-inducing cutesy, was when a friend stood near a road sign with an arrow that said "bump". 

But then I saw it 900 more times and was over it. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I gotta admit, I'm a sucker for announcements with the little shoes. Little tiny baby shoes make me squee. Most of the other common ones (dog as big brother/big sister, eviction notices, bun in the oven, etc) are just so overplayed and unoriginal that they get an eye roll for me - still excited but really? You couldn't think of anything else?

My favorite has been from one of my friends that's expecting twins - her and her husband post a pic that looked like a game of scrabble but the tiles spelled out "we're expecting twins in August". Cute, simple and something I haven't seen a billion times.

Probably.  He is also holding a full glass of wine which is also saying "I need to drink like a fish to get through this!"
    Yeah that's another thing, they both look miserable or like super unhappy. So this is terrible news??? Or...? 
  • I agree with PP's that said just a simple, "We're so happy to announce that we are expecting a baby boy in August!" 

Yeah that's another thing, they both look miserable or like super unhappy. So this is terrible news??? Or...? 
    lol, a silly pregnancy announcement should not evoke so many questions! Too complicated :)
  • redoryxredoryx member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    sarahufl said:
    oh, for the love of.....everyone....the pasta sauce thing is absurd.

This is totally something I would do. 
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015
    @labro - I was trying to remember what southernpeach did to announce it! I knew I thought it was super cute when she posted it I just could not for the life of me remember exactly what it was except that baseball was somehow involved.

• I have to admit that I am totally guilty of posting my first sonogram photo and announcing that we were expecting that way on IG/FB. A lot of my friends actually have shared their pregnancies that way as well so I didn't realize it was so frowned upon. Other than that I think cutesy ones except that spaghetti sauce one are fine and matter of fact statements are also fine. I also shared about 3 belly photos and my IG is mostly filled up with pictures of my son so what do I know?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @sarahufl - we've totally thought about just posting a picture post delivery! But I think we'd get the same, "well how on earth did this happen if you didn't do a FB announcement? Did you adopt? Is that actually your baby?" No assholes.. we just didn't have a chalkboard to write on, so I guess we just couldn't announce.... Der.

We thought about building off the shoe picture idea....we have these two adirondack chairs at our lake house that we spend a ton of time in during the summer. So we thought about getting a mini one and putting it in between. I don't know if it's too cheesy though. 
    When my sister did it, she got a lot of "I NEVER KNEW YOU WERE PREGNANT" responses. Yes, if you haven't spoken in 10 years, you may just not get that memo....
  • @sarahufl - we've totally thought about just posting a picture post delivery! But I think we'd get the same, "well how on earth did this happen if you didn't do a FB announcement? Did you adopt? Is that actually your baby?" No assholes.. we just didn't have a chalkboard to write on, so I guess we just couldn't announce.... Der.

We thought about building off the shoe picture idea....we have these two adirondack chairs at our lake house that we spend a ton of time in during the summer. So we thought about getting a mini one and putting it in between. I don't know if it's too cheesy though. 
    I like the chair idea! But I like the cute, somewhat cheesy announcements.

• We thought about building off the shoe picture idea....we have these two adirondack chairs at our lake house that we spend a ton of time in during the summer. So we thought about getting a mini one and putting it in between. I don't know if it's too cheesy though. 

See, that sounds absolutely adorable to me. 
  • I'm sorry, but I honestly feel pregnancy announcements have devolved into a competition for cutesiness and creativity. Drives me nuts. 

"We're expecting a baby in July!" is all you need. Heart hands, pee sticks, and sonograms need to stay off Facebook in my humble opinion. 

I am also the type of person to just not "announce" anything on Facebook and let people get a clue if a picture of me happens to be posted with a round stomach. 

I like the chair idea! It sounds really cute but not eye-roll cute (at least to me). 

And your chalkboard comment just made me laugh cuz I had some chick on facebook who posted a belly picture EVERY WEEK through her entire pregnancy with a chalkboard next to her that said which week she was at. I eventually un-followed her because I hardly know her (she was in some of my classes in college, about 7 years ago) so I felt no need to get weekly updates on her pregnancy. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards