Chit Chat

Facebook Announcements

Re: Facebook Announcements

• @sarahufl - we've totally thought about just posting a picture post delivery! But I think we'd get the same, "well how on earth did this happen if you didn't do a FB announcement? Did you adopt? Is that actually your baby?" No assholes.. we just didn't have a chalkboard to write on, so I guess we just couldn't announce.... Der.

We thought about building off the shoe picture idea....we have these two adirondack chairs at our lake house that we spend a ton of time in during the summer. So we thought about getting a mini one and putting it in between. I don't know if it's too cheesy though. 
    I think the chair idea is adorable.  I don't mind some of the cheesey announcements.... just the ones that get redone over and over (like all the variations using a Prego pasta sauce jar) get old.
    Married 9.12.15
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I love the shoe one!!  I also think the adirondack chair idea is super cute!!!
  • @sarahufl - we've totally thought about just posting a picture post delivery! But I think we'd get the same, "well how on earth did this happen if you didn't do a FB announcement? Did you adopt? Is that actually your baby?" No assholes.. we just didn't have a chalkboard to write on, so I guess we just couldn't announce.... Der.

We thought about building off the shoe picture idea....we have these two adirondack chairs at our lake house that we spend a ton of time in during the summer. So we thought about getting a mini one and putting it in between. I don't know if it's too cheesy though. 
    I like the chair idea! It sounds really cute but not eye-roll cute (at least to me). 

And your chalkboard comment just made me laugh cuz I had some chick on facebook who posted a belly picture EVERY WEEK through her entire pregnancy with a chalkboard next to her that said which week she was at. I eventually un-followed her because I hardly know her (she was in some of my classes in college, about 7 years ago) so I felt no need to get weekly updates on her pregnancy. 
    LOL - I just can't with these. Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm not confident enough to post bump pictures every single week, but damn...who cares? 

Exactly zero people have reached out to me in ANY way being like "WHERE'S YOUR WEEKLY BUMP PICTURE?! I need to see it!" I take that as a sign that no one cares. :)
    *********************************************************************************

I like the chair idea! It sounds really cute but not eye-roll cute (at least to me). 

And your chalkboard comment just made me laugh cuz I had some chick on facebook who posted a belly picture EVERY WEEK through her entire pregnancy with a chalkboard next to her that said which week she was at. I eventually un-followed her because I hardly know her (she was in some of my classes in college, about 7 years ago) so I felt no need to get weekly updates on her pregnancy. 
    I follow a blog where the writer did this with her first kid.  Her posts, I believe, is what made this thing popular (I think they ended up all over Pinterest).  She is now pregnant with her third kid and it is funny to see how few (if any) chalkboard bump posts she now puts up because she is running around after her two kids (both under two) and is about a month away from having her third.

• I agree with the fact it has been become a competition now. Either do something new/creative you haven't seen yet... or just a simple "we are expecting" with a baby bump pic! The pee sticks or the WORST!!

I do think the chairs are a great idea as I haven't seen that.... and it fits your personality.

Anniversary
  • I know a few people IRL who are pregnant but haven't posted in on FB yet. Everyone in the circle of friends always keeps saying "how cool is that??!" like it's the best thing ever that they haven't done some obnoxious post yet to announce their news and I have to kind of agree. Also no offense to anyone who has done a cutesy announcement. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• redoryx said:
    sarahufl said:
    oh, for the love of.....everyone....the pasta sauce thing is absurd.

My sister never announced. She basically put up a photo of her, H and their baby the day after she was born. People were SO SHOCKED because, you know, nothing is real if you didn't put it on FB first.

Sonogram photos make me stabby, too. I think a simple "We are excited to announce we will be adding to our family in August!" is sufficient.

Congrats, btw :)
    This is totally something I would do. 
    My sister did the same thing. She was in a wheelchair in front of the hospital, so it was pretty obvious that it wasn't an adoption.

I think it was mostly because she'd lost a previous pregnancy at 6 months. She wouldn't want to have to deal with weirdness from people that weren't close enough to hear about the loss firsthand. She AWs the hell out of my nephew on FB now. 
  • redoryx said:
    sarahufl said:
    oh, for the love of.....everyone....the pasta sauce thing is absurd.

My sister never announced. She basically put up a photo of her, H and their baby the day after she was born. People were SO SHOCKED because, you know, nothing is real if you didn't put it on FB first.

Sonogram photos make me stabby, too. I think a simple "We are excited to announce we will be adding to our family in August!" is sufficient.

Congrats, btw :)
    This is totally something I would do. 
    My sister did the same thing. She was in a wheelchair in front of the hospital, so it was pretty obvious that it wasn't an adoption.

I think it was mostly because she'd lost a previous pregnancy at 6 months. She wouldn't want to have to deal with weirdness from people that weren't close enough to hear about the loss firsthand. She AWs the hell out of my nephew on FB now. 
    I'm sorry to hear that. My sister had 2 MCs back to back, although they were earlier. So she had no desire to post anything about it until she had a baby in her arms. She is pregnant again and is doing the same thing this time.

But yes, my niece is all over FB now and I can't get enough of her.
  • ohmrs2014 said:
    We did something cutesy, but not over the top and something that we hadn't personally seen before.  I attached it.  We thought it was simple enough and to the point.
    That's cute!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • ohmrs2014 said:
    We did something cutesy, but not over the top and something that we hadn't personally seen before.  I attached it.  We thought it was simple enough and to the point.
    That's cute!

Thanks!!
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • KahlylaKahlyla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
    I think the chair idea sounds super cute, actually! The only thing I really don't care for is the pasta sauce, because I HATE the term "Preggo". *shudder* And weekly bump pictures. Yeah, no.

Anyhoo now I really want spaghetti and meatballs.
  • randomsloverandomslove member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
    I agree with all the simple ones. Though if you want to put up something with it, maybe a picture from an ultrasound or something similarly non-cheesy?

My friends and family have always done simple announcements like, "We are officially expecting. Right now such-and-such is however far along and we look forward to meeting our newest family member around this date."

EDIT: to include baby-bump stuff... My sister posted baby-bump photos. She was suuuuper tiny though (a combination of just being small running in the family-- she's 4'11 and was average build before pregnancy, but dropped weight steadily until her third trimester "thanks" to nausea) and had a noticeable bump by 9 weeks. By about month six everyone was asking when she would pop. By the time she had my nephew she looked like she was pregnant with twins or triplets, not one large baby. It was something to see... She posted like three specifically of her belly, but my mom takes a lot of pictures, so you can see the progress anyway.

• I'm just glad no one has posted about pee sticks on my fb feed.

I actually like all the cutesy ones. I think the chair sounds cute. These are the sort I usually see:image

• I like simple ones. If/when FI announce a pregnancy on Facebook, I like the idea of posting a photo of us together holding a onesie from our alma mater and saying something short about expecting blah blah whatever.

I hate the prego and preggers crap. Ugh gross stop it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • With DD, it was pretty straightforward, I think I posted her U/S pic with "It's a girl!"  But everyone we actually cared about already knew we were expecting because we had told them IRL.

With DS, we let DD announce it.  The day of my u/s, I picked her up from preschool and gave her an "It's a boy!" sucker from the party store and one of those "It's a boy!" pins.  (She originally wanted a sister, and disappointing news goes down better with candy.)  I wasn't going to make it an announcement, but I snapped a picture of her for posterity and it turned out really cute.  So I threw it up on FB and called it a day.

I think there is one bump pic of me with DD, because we were on a babymoon and taking pictures of other things, and one bump pic of me with DS, because we were at the beach and DH snapped one of DD and me.

SIL did a huge gender reveal album with literally dozens of photos, and it came off very AW-ish, unfortunately. 
  • I have an FB friend who just announced her pregnancy. It seems like it is now some kind of "life event" that you can add so she is now "Expecting a baby" with her partner. She is certainly kind of a cutesy person but she just added the event and wrote something like "SO and I are thrilled to announce we are expecting baby number 2!" Did not make me wanna barf. 

I have mixed feelings on the cutesy pictures. They are sometimes funny but always kind of embarrassing. I saw a pregnant mom in a shirt that said "Mother of Dragons" and her SO had a sign that said "Dragon expected x date". Eh, ok, in good fun. I definitely do not think it's fun to have pictures featuring the man having to drink a lot to get through the pregnancy/becoming a father. 
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    HOORAY FOR BABIES! 

I don't think there's anything wrong with some cutesy announcements, but every time I see the pasta sauce one I throw up in my mouth a little. 
  • I saw a pretty cute one the other day that wasn't super cheesy or over the top.

It was a simple family shot of mom and dad sitting, with their little girl in between them, and the little girl, whose name is Olivia is reading the book from the children s series Olivia called "Olivia, A guide to being a big sister"

I thought it was adorable, and pretty neat that they found a childrens book on being a big sister that had their first childs name as the main characters name.
  • momofbride530momofbride530 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2015

@sarahufl - we've totally thought about just posting a picture post delivery! But I think we'd get the same, "well how on earth did this happen if you didn't do a FB announcement? Did you adopt? Is that actually your baby?" No assholes.. we just didn't have a chalkboard to write on, so I guess we just couldn't announce.... Der.

I think this would be adorable! I saw one with a guy holding two bags of ice and the woman had her hands in the shape of a heart on her belly = ice ice baby . I had not seen it before and thought it was cute.
  • My sister and her husband waited until she was kind of far along (definitely showing). Then they posted a picture of both of them, stomach visible, with a little sign that said "ETA: Late May!"

And that was it. It was cute, but not cutesy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Mine was just like a going-about-my-day status: "couldn't help myself, went shopping after sonogram this morning, found this turtle onesie" basically. It assumed you knew, because all the people I cared about knowing already knew. H suggested we do some sort of announcement because he could think of a few family members who might be pissed if they hadn't heard until baby came, or hadn't heard from us, sort of. (Somehow Facebook is a legitimate form of communication to avoid that?)

I'm in a secret FB group for people expecting in Aug, Sep, Oct and they keep posting "this is what we did to announce/gender reveal!" and I just keep rolling my eyes. You're not as cute as you think you are. It's as bad as Pinterest. Some people even involve professional photos. WHY

• "SO and I are pleased to announce: baby expected XYZ date".

"Oh, I didn't know you were pregnant!!!"

... Do these people not get taught the meaning of the word "announce"?

I wouldn't do the chair one myself because it means nothing to me.
    I think for the particular person who said it, it would be adorable, because there's a reason for it.

Baby announcements should be like wedding themes, and to throw an ever-discussed one in for clarity: don't do "rustic barn wedding" if you don't know that barns are actually smelly animal homes.
    If you grew up on a farm and own 954585 pairs of cowboy boots, then go right ahead.
    (Over-generalisation purely to get my point across).

Don't do "prego" sauce announcements unless you have a damn good reason to.
    Even then...
    Don't do it.

A cute one I've seen is mum-an-dad to be sat wherever with the little kids letter blocks stacked up spelling "Sept 2015" or whenever.

A picture of a cot and just written underneath "vacancy filled".

Do personal.
    If you can't do personal, do simple.

• Pasta sauce announcement...

I don't understand why the guy only has one measly little meatball. Is it supposed to be like "Oh I'm pregnant now so I'm SO HUNGRY so I get ALL THE FOOD" or something like that? I'm not a fan of this. Not at all. I'm so glad I haven't seen it pop up on facebook (yet). 

Probably.  He is also holding a full glass of wine which is also saying "I need to drink like a fish to get through this!"

Yeah that's another thing, they both look miserable or like super unhappy. So this is terrible news??? Or...? 

It would be AWFUL news for me... I'm not one who assumes that pregnancies are good things- for some people, they are not.
  • Pasta sauce announcement...

I don't understand why the guy only has one measly little meatball. Is it supposed to be like "Oh I'm pregnant now so I'm SO HUNGRY so I get ALL THE FOOD" or something like that? I'm not a fan of this. Not at all. I'm so glad I haven't seen it pop up on facebook (yet). 
    Probably.  He is also holding a full glass of wine which is also saying "I need to drink like a fish to get through this!"
    Yeah that's another thing, they both look miserable or like super unhappy. So this is terrible news??? Or...? 
    It would be AWFUL news for me... I'm not one who assumes that pregnancies are good things- for some people, they are not.
    I think in this case, you wouldn't go through the hassle of an idiotic photo shoot.
  • Personally, I hate the cutsey Pinterest shit.  But I have no heart about this stuff either, so there's that.  I keep seeing the stupid paperclip one from friends of friends on FB.  I also hate belly pics, but those just creep me out.  Another reason we won't be having kids, since I'd just creep myself out.  I much prefer the regular announcement PP's have suggested.  

• I just don't get having a negative reaction to basically any kind of pregnancy announcement (I DO make an exception for pee sticks cause that is gross yo) because IT'S A BABY! And like, presumably a wanted baby if they are posting about it on FB.  

So I don't care if I haven't spoken to you in ten years, if you post you are pregnant I am going to "like" it and congratulate you and be genuinely excited for you for a hot second. That is basically the biggest event in your life (if you choose to have kids) so to me it doesn't feel weird for me to acknowledge something of that magnitude even if I don't know you that well.

Personally the only aspect that makes me uncomfortable is worrying about the chance of miscarriage when people announce really early. I wouldn't want to say anything myself until I was WELL into my second trimester.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards