Moms and Maids

Bridesmaid line-up

OK, so to preface, I'm sure this is a silly question haha.

How did y'all line up your maids? I have three bridesmaids (not choosing a MOH) and I was just wondering how they lined up when you did your ceremony. Was it random, or did you have a certain method?

Re: Bridesmaid line-up

• Are you doing programs?  If so I guess this is something that you may want to have figured out before hand so that they are listed as they are lined up.

But if not, and you are having a rehearsal just tell them to line up.  Or pick their names out of a hat. Or put them in a boxing ring and the last one standing gets to stand next to you.

But really the best bet is to do it at random because then you aren't hurting anyones feelings by using some weird sorting method.

• Haha oh gosh, I totally picked a Hunger Games for bridesmaids.

I wanted to do some sort of program or sign, but we're having a small family wedding anyway, and all my family knows my maids. They'll know who is who. :)

I'll just let my girls figure out where they'd like to stand.

Thank you!

• I did not have programs so we decided the night of the rehearsal. I had my BMs line up by heights (shortest to tallest) and the same with the GM. Then we each had our MOH and BM standing next to us. 

Since you want programs, could you guess who would be tallest and shortest and go from there?

• Dittoing PPs. If you don't want to let them figure it out on their own, go with height--that way no one is offended. (Or, I hope no one would be offended!)
  • I think the most common order is who ever you are closes to, gets to stand the closest to you. If you like the girls all equally (lol) then ask your fiancé if he has a preference for the men. For example, if his #1 is 6 ft tall then you don't want your shortest girl paired with him. If those two don't work, I would choose out of a hat like previously suggested.

• edited May 2015
    FutureLabane2016 said: I think the most common order is who ever you are closes to, gets to stand the closest to you. If you like the girls all equally (lol) then ask your fiancé if he has a preference for the men. For example, if his #1 is 6 ft tall then you don't want your shortest girl paired with him. If those two don't work, I would choose out of a hat like previously suggested.
    ETA: BOXES

I have
    heard of this before but I absolutely DO NOT recommend it. Even if you just are closer to some of your BMs, essentially pointing that out by ordering them in that way will hurt their feelings. No one wants to be last in line because she is the "least close" to the Bride. At least going by height (or some other arbitrary organization) is less subjective.
  • abcdevonn said:
    Dittoing PPs. If you don't want to let them figure it out on their own, go with height--that way no one is offended. (Or, I hope no one would be offended!)
    I'm not even a fan of lining them up by height.  Especially if you have a shorter person in your party they are probably very tired of always being on the end because of their height.  

• justsiejustsie member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Pick a number between 1-10, the closer they get to your number they closer (or hell, further away) they stand. 
  • LD1970LD1970 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I just did length of time I knew them (which didn't necessarily indicate closeness, it was just an empirical way to do it), so sister as MOH next to me, then friend from junior high, then friend from law school.  And had the 4th said yes, she was post-law school, so she'd have been on the end.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • abcdevonn said:
    Dittoing PPs. If you don't want to let them figure it out on their own, go with height--that way no one is offended. (Or, I hope no one would be offended!)
    I'm not even a fan of lining them up by height.  Especially if you have a shorter person in your party they are probably very tired of always being on the end because of their height.  
    Eh, I am the shortest person in my circle of friends and it doesn't really bother me, but that is me and not everyone else. 
  • I have my MOH and four other bridesmaids. I lined them up by the duration of our friendship (i.e. my MOH is my younger sister from there it is my hs best friend, my best friend from when I was in competitive dancing, my FSIL and my college roommate). Then my FI lined his guys up according to height so we didn't have severe difference between the maids and the men. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you all for your advice! I really appreciate it :)

I don't think I could choose who I'm closer to, I'm very close with all of my BMs, and since I didn't pick a MOH that might be awkward.

I'm 5'7", one BM is 5'8", and the other two BMs are both around 5'2". I'll probably sort them according to time that I've known them, which is since middle school, since high school, and since college (which will put it me, 5'2", 5'2" and 5'8"). I don't think height will be an issue with them though, as the shorter girls will most likely will wear heels and I'm wearing flats.

I'm not sure how my FI will line up his GMs, but I'll suggest the time-frame idea to him. He's 5'6" and I think his GMs are all around 6', so there will be interesting height differences across the board lol.

For the purposes of the program, lining up based on time will be easiest, since I don't know exact heights.

• I lined mine up based on who I was closest with. DH did the same for his side. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Our DJ lined them up for us by height.  I actually met my bridesmaids the same year in school so length of relationship wasn't an option..  and I think the 'closet' thing would have been rude in my case.  But two of the groomsmen are really tall, so my really short bridesmaid paired up much more comfortably with the shorter groomsmen, while the other bridesmaids were taller or of average height.  If there is no big difference, go alphabetically, pick out of a hat, or just ask them to line up at rehearsal.. whatever feels comfortable!
  • We aren't doing anything in particular except the MOH is walking with the BM. My one friend is super tall, so she is going with the tallest guy, etc. Our DJ is letting us pick the order of them walking in, but we are just randomly putting them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards