Chit Chat
Options

Facebook Announcements

13»

Re: Facebook Announcements

• Options
    Traditionally, announcing a pregnancy was taboo.  I guess it made sense, because something could go wrong.  This is one are where etiquette seems to be changing.
    Congratulations!   Best wishes!  Babies - oooooh, squeeee!

(I really HATE the phrase "knocked up".)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Just make sure you don't use the word "lady" when announcing the sex of the baby. 
    Gee whillikers, things sure are more pleasant around here now that the meanies aren't around and can't make posts directed at certain members or anything like that. 

I usually like announcements. I get excited for babies. You do you. We'll probably involve our dog somehow, sorrynotsorry. 
  • Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2015
    Pee sticks, no, prego, no.  I don't mind ultrasound pictures. 

Someone announced they were having a boy and took a sideview photo of her in a blue shirt and the letters "oy."  So with the sideview, her bump and boobs formed the letter B.  I thought that one was weird.  It just kind of felt like it was drawing too much attention to her boobs.
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    Traditionally, announcing a pregnancy was taboo.  I guess it made sense, because something could go wrong.  This is one are where etiquette seems to be changing.

In Jewish tradition it was wrong to have a baby shower, because it's too presumptuous to assume that the baby is going to be born healthy. It was a pretty heavy superstition. Like, if you're ballsy enough to make that presumption, you might be jinxing/cursing the baby. Or at least that's how my grandma explained it. These days, though, people don't really stick to that anymore. 
  • Options
    CMGragain said:

In Jewish tradition it was wrong to have a baby shower, because it's too presumptuous to assume that the baby is going to be born healthy. It was a pretty heavy superstition. Like, if you're ballsy enough to make that presumption, you might be jinxing/cursing the baby. Or at least that's how my grandma explained it. These days, though, people don't really stick to that anymore. 
    That is because Jewish traditions date back over 6000 years ago hence why most of them seem outdated. I imagine in biblical days and even up to a hundred years ago without modern medicine.... you couldn't know if your baby was healthy until it was born. Now they can know so much ahead of time.

Anniversary
  • Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Isn't Jewish tradition kind of superstitious about that kind of thing anyway? Like isn't it really bad to name someone after someone that's still alive? 
  • Options
    novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015
    FiancB said:
    Isn't Jewish tradition kind of superstitious about that kind of thing anyway? Like isn't it really bad to name someone after someone that's still alive? 
    Yep. If you name the baby after a living relative, the angel of death will get confused and take the wrong person. There's a TON of superstitions for Jews. And yeah they date back super far because Judaism has been around for quite a while, but some people still follow these traditions and don't really think of them as outdated (although they're not as common). My mom didn't have a baby shower for my sister or I, because of what I mentioned above. 
  • Options
    I love reading about different cultures and their traditions/superstitions.  Both of those reasonings make perfect sense, regarding baby naming and baby showers.  I never really thought of it like that before.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    FiancB said:
    Yep. If you name the baby after a living relative, the angel of death will get confused and take the wrong person. There's a TON of superstitions for Jews. And yeah they date back super far because Judaism has been around for quite a while, but some people still follow these traditions and don't really think of them as outdated (although they're not as common). My mom didn't have a baby shower for my sister or I, because of what I mentioned above. 
    My sister's husbands' grandma didn't go to any of the 3 showers that were thrown for my sister because of this.
  • Options
    My sister put shoes on the stairs.  Her husbands shoes, her shoes, my nieces shoes, my nephew's shoes and little pink booties, with a sign that said coming soon in summer of 2014.  I thought that was cute without being eye roll worthy/  I love little baby shoes!
  • Options
    A friend from college just recently announced on Facebook that he and his wife were having a baby.  She is also about 6 months along.  I already knew - as did all of their close friends and family.  So my first suggestion would be to make sure that anyone who you would want to make this announcement to personally already knows. 

After that, I agree with the many PP who suggested something to the effect of "DH and I are super excited to welcome our first child in September."

I did have a friend whose second baby announcement via Facebook was a video of her asking their three year old at dinner: "What's in Daddy's belly?" "A cheeseburger!" "What's in your belly?" "A cheeseburger!" "What's in mommy's belly?" "A baby!"  It was super cute.  But since this appears to be your first baby (or not, maybe I am assuming too much) that wouldn't work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards