Nevada-Las Vegas

Fun post: Proposal at YOUR Wedding

edited May 2015 in Nevada-Las Vegas
Not sure if you've seen the video/photos that went viral when a guest proposed at a wedding, while standing right in front of the bride and groom. The bride's facial expression is priceless! A few friends sent me the link and asked my opinion. What would you do?!

Re: Fun post: Proposal at YOUR Wedding

• xoedenxoeden member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Given as that we're a low key couple planning a fairly non-traditional ceremony, probably congratulate them and enjoy the experience. But deep down, I know I would be pissed. Pissed for a very, very long time. Not very mature, but that's the truth.
  • If they were caught in the moment I would not mind as much. But this particular guy had the ring! So I'm sure it was planned. THAT would piss me off.
  • I would be pissed and probably punch someone (JK). But I would be VERY mad. I think it is VERY disrespectful. Like there was no better time to do it? Just plain rude!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited May 2015
    You know... I think it'd really depend on the person doing it. Close friends in a good relationship? I'd probably love it. Someone who I know is genuinely clueless about this sort of thing? I'd laugh my ass off. Anyone else? Aw hell naw. 

... and I know there are some people coming who are not big fans of me and/or FH, and would probably love to do something like this just to piss us off. Definitely would not put it past my brother's bitch girlfriend to convince him of some bullshit like "they'd LOVE it if you proposed to me in the middle of their ceremony!" ... siiiiigh
  • edited May 2015
    When we had our destination wedding, one of my best friends' BF's was considering proposing. He didn't end up doing it during the trip or at our wedding but I really wanted him to! I thought it would have been so cool and an added special memory to our day. We had 9 guests- I certainly had no concerns about a "spotlight" or anything. But, he decided not to intrude on our day and proposed when they returned home.
  • lol yeah I'd be pissed off.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• I would not be happy at all! I did recently have a couple we have known for 15 years ask if it would be ok if they got married in Vegas the day after us since we would have all the same people friends there. At first, I was like I don't care as it's the next day. But then I just for saw the events leading up to our wedding (joint Bach parties, dinners) would then somehow naturally become being about celebrating both of our weddings. Since I have been planning ours for about 10 months; I was really asking myself if I'd be ok with that. Even before we had a chance to talk, they decided not to.
  • I would not be happy at all! I did recently have a couple we have known for 15 years ask if it would be ok if they got married in Vegas the day after us since we would have all the same people friends there. At first, I was like I don't care as it's the next day. But then I just for saw the events leading up to our wedding (joint Bach parties, dinners) would then somehow naturally become being about celebrating both of our weddings. Since I have been planning ours for about 10 months; I was really asking myself if I'd be ok with that. Even before we had a chance to talk, they decided not to.
    Now THAT I would not like. Thank goodness they decided against it.
  • Yeah gotta agree with @destinationtake2 -- proposing is one thing, piggyback wedding is another thing entirely!
  • I don't think I would mind the piggyback wedding as long as it was a spur of the moment one AFTER mine. If it was planned out with invites and dual parties..no thank you. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ah yeah good call @hmgiffor (... let me just "me too" everyone's opinions in this thread XD )

• I heard about this incident all last week on radio shows that I have no idea WHY were so interested in it! I think that I'd be ok with a proposal. It's not at all related but I am rewatching Orange is the New Black, getting ready for Season 3, and had forgotten that the brother didn't just propose but married his GF at the grandmother's funeral! Somehow, I like that better!

• hmgiffor said:
    I don't think I would mind the piggyback wedding as long as it was a spur of the moment one AFTER mine. If it was planned out with invites and dual parties..no thank you. 
    100%.  My sister did piggyback and got married the Sunday after me, seeing our 100+ person traditional wedding (I'm local so not a DW) cemented for them that they wanted to do something small and hey, we're already in Vegas.  No formal invites, just verbal to the family that was still in town.  She borrowed my friends wedding dress (friend insisted she do so) and they got married that evening at Little Church of the West, took some pictures at the sign, and then we all went out to a gourmet pizza place.  I didn't mind at all the way things played out, the only downside is I didn't get to relax with H that day- or take a nap ;).  Thankfully we weren't leaving for our honeymoon that day!

I would not have been cool with a proposal during our reception unless it was spur of the moment and done privately (unlike this dude doing it on the dance floor with a ring).  Outside I would have smiled, but inside been livid.  It's super gross to hijack a couples wedding day and make it all about you instead.
  • NOT ok the day of, or the days leading up to my wedding. But TOTALLY fine if done the day after! We are all on vacation still and my time is over. I don't mind continuing the party as long as all my stuff is over with! I'm not a bridezilla or even a very selfish person but I have not enjoyed planning this wedding at all so no one is allowed to steal our thunder until it's over dang it!!! I don't care how much I love you lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards