Attire & Accessories Forum

To bustle or not to bustle..help my decide

I went in for my 1st fitting yesterday and luckily my dress just needed to be hemmed and the bustle put in, but I'm not sure I need it.

We are having a very small wedding. It will be the ceremony and then dinner after, no dancing. The train isn't short, but it's not very long either. I know if I don't have the bustle, I will have to watch for guests stepping on it and hold it up some, but we aren't going to be doing a lot of walking around.

What do you all think?

Re: To bustle or not to bustle..help my decide

• Bustle it.  People will walk on it.  You may forget about your train and go to step backward and then step on the inside fabric, trip and fall.  Moving around, even with no dancing, will just be easier.  And you will be surprised how much walking around you will be doing.  Unless you are going to be sitting in thrones all night, you will be up and moving around to talk to your guests and going from table to table for visits.  Out of everyone at a wedding the married couple will be the ones that will walk around the most.

• Definitely bustle it. I didn't have much of a train on my dress and it was still a pain in the ass to drag around until after the ceremony was over. If I hadn't bustled and had to worry about it all night, it would've drove me nuts. 
  • bustle.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • My dress is similar to yours (there is a train but not an extremely long one). I had a bustle put in so I don't have to worry as much about people stepping on it and carrying it around when walking. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not only bustle, get a secure bustle. My friend's broke and she was walking around and dancing so much her dress is basically trashed (she doesn't care). They tried to bunch it in knots so she could walk without tripping and even that didn't hold up.
    Bustle!!!

• Bustle. If you decide you don't want to use it, fine. But I can almost guarantee people will walk on it and you'll want to put it up.
    *********************************************************************************

• Not only bustle, get a secure bustle. My friend's broke and she was walking around and dancing so much her dress is basically trashed (she doesn't care). They tried to bunch it in knots so she could walk without tripping and even that didn't hold up.
    Bustle!!!
    THIS.. my best friend's broke shortly into the reception too and she did not enjoy trying to keep it up all night and getting stepped on! So I'm another vote for bustle! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'd bustle it....better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. 
  • I have seen tons of pictures of bustles and I just don't find them flattering. Tons of fabric bunched up on your bootie weird pickups. When I went into my fitting I asked what my seamstress could do to help and she didn't have many alternative options. I have a ballgown with a train i wanted to wear all day. Luckily for me the end of my train had a string for my wrist so that I could pick my train up off the floor. Which was good enough for me without altering the back drastically as with bustles.
  • I have seen tons of pictures of bustles and I just don't find them flattering. Tons of fabric bunched up on your bootie weird pickups. When I went into my fitting I asked what my seamstress could do to help and she didn't have many alternative options. I have a ballgown with a train i wanted to wear all day. Luckily for me the end of my train had a string for my wrist so that I could pick my train up off the floor. Which was good enough for me without altering the back drastically as with bustles.
    This can get very awkward - from the weight of it, to hugging your guests, to dancing, eating, drinking, etc.

OP - I'd bustle the dress.  You'll be thankful you did.
    I had a ballgown and didn't like the look of a bustle either. My seamstress flipped the train up inside so it looked like the dress just stopped at floor length with no visible bustle. So that's an option, OP.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We are having a very similar wedding - 11 guests with a dinner after and my dress also has a small train. I decided to bustle mine just because I thought it would be easier to sit at dinner and get in and out from the table if I want to move around and talk to people. 
  • Thank you all for the advice..I have decided to get the bustle!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards