Budget Weddings Forum

videography - ask a friend?

Ok so photography was very important to me and I spent a good portion of my already limited budget on it. My problem is, everyone keeps telling me I'll regret not having a videographer, yet there isn't room in the budget for one. Did anyone ask a friend or family member to do it and is really, over the top glad they did? I just keep imagining a bad childhood video of myself playing outside from the 90s where the camera is shaking and going all over the place.

Re: videography - ask a friend?

• My DH's uncle took video of our ceremony. I was excited about it right after the wedding when we watched it. Haven't thought about it since then. We only watched it once. My wedding album gets much more use.

I think I might have had a twinge of regret if we didn't have it right after the wedding. But since I have it and don't care/think of it now, I think I would be in the same place about it if we did NOT have the video.
  • Ok so photography was very important to me and I spent a good portion of my already limited budget on it. My problem is, everyone keeps telling me I'll regret not having a videographer, yet there isn't room in the budget for one. Did anyone ask a friend or family member to do it and is really, over the top glad they did? I just keep imagining a bad childhood video of myself playing outside from the 90s where the camera is shaking and going all over the place.
    I didn't get a videographer. I don't regret it. I doubt I will. Photography was important to me, I'm happy with the photos, and that's enough for me.

Unless you can think of a good reason yourself (not just what other people say will be your reasons for regret), don't hire a videographer. And definitely do not ask someone whom you don't intend to pay - you're inviting them so they can enjoy themselves, not work for you for free. If a family member offers directly, you can consider taking them up on it.
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I had a luxury/ high budget wedding and I still didn't have a videographer. It seemed like a waste. Everyone Iknow who had one, never watches the video
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I didn't have a videographer. It's only been a few months but I don't regret it in the slightest.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My sister asked a friend to set up his video camera on a tripod and just tape the ceremony.  She's glad she did, but I don't think she's watched the video beyond once when they first got it, once with the groom's mom, and once with us, all within a couple months of the wedding.  At this point it will just be something that takes up space on a hard drive somewhere.
  • adk19 said:

My sister asked a friend to set up his video camera on a tripod and just tape the ceremony.  She's glad she did, but I don't think she's watched the video beyond once when they first got it, once with the groom's mom, and once with us, all within a couple months of the wedding.  At this point it will just be something that takes up space on a hard drive somewhere.

That's what we're doing. I'll probably only watch it a few times, so there's not much point in spending money on it, but my dad tends to record short videos at EVERY family function, so why not ask him to set up a tripod so a) it's steady, and b) he'll have his hands free to walk me down the aisle properly.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • falsarafalsara member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    We decided to hire a film student from the local college.  It's less than a regular videographer would cost, but I still get an edited video.  It's helpful for him too since he's getting the extra experience to put in his portfolio.  

I normally wouldn't have spent the money, but I remember watching my parent's wedding video all the time when I was a kid. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Ok so photography was very important to me and I spent a good portion of my already limited budget on it. My problem is, everyone keeps telling me I'll regret not having a videographer, yet there isn't room in the budget for one. Did anyone ask a friend or family member to do it and is really, over the top glad they did? I just keep imagining a bad childhood video of myself playing outside from the 90s where the camera is shaking and going all over the place.

Are you just looking to have a recording of your ceremony with someone's cell phone? If so I don't think it's unreasonable to ask a close friend or family member if they can do that.

However if you're looking for a professional quality video or a video on a professional camera, you need to find room in your budget to hire someone or just forego it.

Formerly martha1818

• I have the same dilemma! A coworker who has been married for over 10 years told me he really regrets talking his wife out of getting video because it's now something he wish he could show his children.  Since we are working with a very tight budget, hiring someone is out of the question.  My fiance actually recorded the ceremony, dances, speeches etc. for my best friend's wedding and said if asked again, he wouldn't want to do it.  I guess it's stressful to set up and didn't allow him to enjoy himself.  All of that being said, I still need video (my grandparents can't make it) so we came up with the idea of using gopro cameras.  Pretty much we found a place that rents them for $40/day and we are going to attach one pointing down during the ceremony.  Then, I might ask a friend to capture me walking down the aisle.  And I might even put one in my bouquet for an alternative view.  After the ceremony, we are going to set up the camera so that it can be passed around and moments can be captured throughout the night.  It's great because it takes video, pictures and you can set it to a timer.  Might be worth looking into since you can attach them to almost anything and no one has to really man the camera the whole time.
  • We're setting up the tripod with the camera (takes video). I'm sure with technology these days, everyone will be using their iPhones and taking video! So I'm going to mix whatever they have with the tripod video.
  • My mother told me when she got married she had asked my father's uncle to shoot the video. To this day she wishes she had a professional videographer. Even though my parents are divorced, I still watch their wedding video. In my opinion, when I get married I would love to have a DVD about my wedding cause my children might want to watch it over and over again like I do. However, if you think it is not necessary and you do not want the video then just stick with the photography. Photos say 1000 words and in the end it's your wedding. If it is not in your budget and people keep trying to make you get a videographer then tell them they need to pay for it cause you just do not have room in the budget.
  • I'm so glad you asked this question as I was going to create a post about the same thing! I've been very torn on signing a videographer... I even have the blank contract for the one we were going to use as I just received it in the mail but am now having second thoughts. We just booked our photographer which was WAY more than we initially planned on ($9k - and the whole wedding is being funded by FI and I). My dad is dead-set on having our ceremony filmed (and will pay for it) since my sister didn't for her wedding and he wishes he had it on film... so I'm currently trying to find a professional videographer who will do only that but it is deeming a difficult task since most videographers will not do solely a ceremony because they can't book another full wedding that night. I have yet to come across one bride that I've spoken with who really justifies the cost of having the video (the cheapest in my area who is unobtrusive is the one I was initially going to book - minimum 9 hours $2900). I'm relieved to see so many brides on here say they don't regret NOT having it... maybe finding a film student from the local university could work.
  • I was MOH in my best friend's wedding last summer and her dad told her the night before the wedding that he had bought a video camera and tripod for the ceremony. She asked me if my FI would mind capturing the ceremony for her and he had no problem doing it. The photographer got some great shots of him and her dad bonding over the camera set up with champagne in hand, and since I was standing up front my FI didn't mind having something else to do. Her ceremony was short so he just stood right behind the last row of chairs making sure the video camera was on, facing the right direction, and zoomed when appropriate. 

Not something she initially wanted but she is happy she has it, her dad took the raw cut and edited a little bit. I don't think FI would have been happy if he had to be stuck to a video camera all night but for a short ceremony it wasn't a big deal to him. I would also say choose wisely, my FI isn't super excited about sitting through wedding ceremonies and he loves being behind a camera so it was a good fit, others really enjoy the ceremony and wouldn't want to be behind the camera. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @JerseyBeachGal22 - Are you getting married in NJ?  Just curious if your photographer was the one my friend used... MPW?  
  • edited June 2015
    @klk111415  Yes, I am getting married in NJ - but using Vanessa Joy for my photography :-)
  • @JerseyBeachGal22 Nice! Very exciting! :)  How soon till your wedding?  
  • @klk111415 Thank you!!! Almost a year away - June 4, 2016
  • Congrats! The next year is going to fly by- it'll be here before you know it! :)

• thank you all so much @klk111454 i never thought to rent a go pro! great idea! 
  • This is an old thread, but I bought a video camera and tripod to record the ceremony and one of my mom's friends ran it for us.  Our church actually has a sound booth up above so I got an interesting angle but no like close ups of our faces, so it's mostly just for the audio.  I don't have a great memory, so I'm glad we did it!  I only decided on it the week of the wedding, actually.

She also recorded our entrance, first dance, cake cutting, and father-daughter dance, which I wasn't expecting, so that was a wonderful bonus!  The photos just aren't the same. 

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards