Outdoor Weddings

String lights

Hello! I was wondering if any of you used bistro lighting for an outdoor wedding? I'd like to hang up string lights across the yard/patio (getting married in the backyard) and I'm debating between buying or renting.

I'd like something similar to the picture.

Re: String lights

• Could you see yourself using these lights again? If so, then I would buy. I didn't use them for my wedding but when H and I had a party we bought some string lights from Target.

I absolutely love this look for evening outdoor weddings.

• I actually just bought some from Target that I liked (one box) to test how they look. The weather here has been pretty nasty lately so I haven't been able to put them up yet. I really like the look of them, I just wonder how many I would need for the whole backyard lol
  • I actually just bought some from Target that I liked (one box) to test how they look. The weather here has been pretty nasty lately so I haven't been able to put them up yet. I really like the look of them, I just wonder how many I would need for the whole backyard lol
    I would measure out the area where you are having the tables and dance area (if you are having dancing) and then do some math.  I would say, depending on how big of an area you are looking at then the strings could be place about 2 feet apart.  If things get too expensive you could always make the area smaller and just have the lights above the dance area or spread them out more.  I am a very visual person so I would be tempted to mark out the area I wanted the lights to cover and then use string to mark each strand of lights.  This way I could kind of get an idea of what it would look like and have a pretty exact number of strands needed.

• I actually just got a quote to rent lights. It cost about 600 with installation and removal.. I figured for the same price or a little bit more I could keep them. So I would suggest to buy them.
  • I actually just got a quote to rent lights. It cost about 600 with installation and removal.. I figured for the same price or a little bit more I could keep them. So I would suggest to buy them.
    If you do this, just keep in mind that you are responsible for set up and tear down. That would likely take hours, especially if OP plans to do the entire backyard. 

OP - consider a couple things: 1) do you have time to do set up/tear down? and 2) what are you going to do with that many lights after the wedding?
    *********************************************************************************

• The nice thing is that we're getting married at my parents' house and I'm taking a few days off work before the wedding PLUS lots of helpful family will be in town. We'll definitely have plenty of time to put them up/tear down.

After the wedding, I figured I would keep a few stands for my patio, and then see if my mom or friends would like the others.

• I am in love with these lights! Totally want to have them at my wedding.
  • Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my reception is held in my own backyard. It makes more sense for us to have lights up permanently. No breakdown or pole rentals needed.
  • I love your lights! That'll look great. We're gaving indoor lights a bit like this as our reception is a sort of tropical bar,
  • I'm also planning string lights and some on the trees too, my fiancé loved the idea. 
    Did you check if you will need a generator? 

Btw, have you considered a floor? I'm still thinking about it, i just want a dance floor tho.
  • Guess I am very late in this discussion but found this page and thought some of you might be interested. It talks about using string lights for decorating your backyard: 
    I am using similar lights at my place and they look beautiful...
  • These are so fun!
  • Very fun--I want these in my backyard!!
  • What about a rain plan? I wanted something very similar to this - this was my pinterest inspiration pic - but had to give it up in favor of a tent due to no indoor option.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards