Favors

How do you know if a favor is "good" enough?

edited June 2015 in Favors
I'm a very practical person and I don't like waste.  I planned on getting pre wrapped truffles from Costco and putting them into small boxes.  I plan on giving people 3-4 candies each.  I was so certain that my favor was "good" until I went to a wedding this weekend.  The couple gave a boxed favor of two tea cups and some bags of tea.   I know it's one of those favors that people probably look at and say , "......and what am I going to do with this?"  But, at the same time; the favor didn't look cheap.   I feel like my favor, while tasty and practical, looks cheap and thoughtless.  

How do you know if you're favor is good enough?  I don't want to look cheap and tacky.  

Re: How do you know if a favor is "good" enough?

• jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2015

1. Favors aren't required.  If you didn't have them, people aren't going to remember.

2. Chocolate truffles are never going to be judged as cheap and tacky.  Nor will they be "thoughtless" because clearly you're putting thought into it.

By and far, you will get people here saying edible is the way to go.  And honestly, I look at the two tea cups and tea and think "how wasteful of them".  And I like tea.  But my cupboards are FULL.  I don't need two cups that don't match anything else in my cupboard.  And while I like tea, I know plenty of people who outright HATE it or only like certain kinds (one friend hates green tea, another hates flavored tea, another only drinks herbal or rooibos without caffeine, another has discovered she only likes oolongs).  I think far more highly of people who try to find things with universal appeal than people who spend more time showing off what THEY like (I'll assume maybe one of them is a tea drinker, but this goes for all sorts of things) or making their favor part of a theme.

So, short version:  your truffles are perfectly lovely and will be appreciated.

• your favor > a couple of tea cups that match nothing in my house. Hands down.

I guarantee people took those tea cups to be polite at at least 80% of them will end up at goodwill. Chocolates never end up at goodwill. :)
    *********************************************************************************

• I'd much prefer your favor over tea cups. 
  • I prefer something that I can eat over something that I will never use (teacups with tea).

Don't over think it.  Edible favors are ALWAYS preferred over some trinket.  And those that don't like truffles can probably easily give them to another guest who loves truffles.  Edible favors rarely go to waste.  For example I did chocolate bars.  I made more then I needed and had a bunch left over.  I took some left over bars to work and then me and H also ate some.  After a few weeks there were no more bars left because they got eaten.  Now if I had done something like the teacups, I would most likely still have teacups lying around because what the heck am I going to do with a bunch of leftover teacups?

• I like both favors, but would prefer yours. Truffles would never be viewed as thoughtless in my opinion.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I would prefer edible favors over teacups/coozies/etc. I don't think your favor is thoughtless; you are not required to provide favors to guests who attend your event!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CHOCOLATE!  Did somebody say, "CHOCOLATE"?  Woot-woot!

I am going to Belgium this fall.  Guess what I will be bringing home for souvenirs and gifts?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    CHOCOLATE!  Did somebody say, "CHOCOLATE"?  Woot-woot!

I am going to Belgium this fall.  Guess what I will be bringing home for souvenirs and gifts?
  • CMGragain said:

I'm going to Flagstaff in July.
  • MagicInk said:
    CMGragain said:

I'm going to Flagstaff in July.
    I'm going to Kansas City in October. 

• OP, If you choose to go with truffles, you can always buy them in bulk on Lindt or Godiva's websites. Lindt has some pretty good deals and they have a buyer program. 

• hellohkb said:
    OP, If you choose to go with truffles, you can always buy them in bulk on Lindt or Godiva's websites. Lindt has some pretty good deals and they have a buyer program. 
    Just had a Godiva truffle at work this morning, and it was delicious, strawberry cheesecake flavor!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • haleyk620 said:
    hellohkb said:
    OP, If you choose to go with truffles, you can always buy them in bulk on Lindt or Godiva's websites. Lindt has some pretty good deals and they have a buyer program. 
    Just had a Godiva truffle at work this morning, and it was delicious, strawberry cheesecake flavor!
    That sounds divine! I love anything cheesecake-y. Speaking of which, if you've never had these you are seriously missing out:

• CMGragain said:

Belgium chocolate rocks.  

If you get a chance go to Bruges.   One of my favorite cities in the world.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • hellohkb said:
    haleyk620 said:
    hellohkb said:
    That sounds divine! I love anything cheesecake-y. Speaking of which, if you've never had these you are seriously missing out:

I've tried other flavors but never that one! I'm going to have to pick some of that up next time I'm out shopping!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You could never go wrong with chocolate!
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited June 2015
    Thanks for the advice.  My favors are going to be in a small bag and I was worried it would look like I tried to be cheap.   I know tea cups are a waste, but I just remember picking them up and thinking, "ohhh, this must of cost them a lot."   I don't want my guests picking up their little bag of truffles and thinking, "This cost less than $2.00 (which is what it's going to cost). 
  • Thanks for the advice.  My favors are going to be in a small bag and I was worried it would look like I tried to be cheap.   I know tea cups are a waste, but I just remember picking them up and thinking, "ohhh, this must of cost them a lot."   I don't want my guests picking up their little bag of truffles and thinking, "This cost less than $2.00 (which is what it's going to cost). 

I've gotten candy favors that, in retrospect, must not have cost terribly much. But no one at my table noticed or cared because they scarfed the favors down right then and there.

• We were torn between chocolates and wine.  We went with the wine because we both come from a family of drinkers, as bad as that sounds, we knew our families would appreciate the wine more.  Only you know your guests and what they might like.  If we could have, we would have done both, but our budget only allowed for one.  
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the advice.  My favors are going to be in a small bag and I was worried it would look like I tried to be cheap.   I know tea cups are a waste, but I just remember picking them up and thinking, "ohhh, this must of cost them a lot."   I don't want my guests picking up their little bag of truffles and thinking, "This cost less than $2.00 (which is what it's going to cost). 
    Anyone who decides a favor is better because it cost more is tacky as fuck.

We gave everyone a package of cookies and scratcher ticket. They went over pretty well.

• MagicInk said:
    Thanks for the advice.  My favors are going to be in a small bag and I was worried it would look like I tried to be cheap.   I know tea cups are a waste, but I just remember picking them up and thinking, "ohhh, this must of cost them a lot."   I don't want my guests picking up their little bag of truffles and thinking, "This cost less than $2.00 (which is what it's going to cost). 

We gave everyone a package of cookies and scratcher ticket. They went over pretty well.
    Ditto this.

You are overthinking this.   Favors are cheap.  Everyone knows that.  

The most expensive thing I've gotten was a necklace.    The bride makes her own jewelry and handmade necklaces for the women and cuff links for the men.    Even then, I'm not sure if it was expensive for her (material wise at least).

All the other times they were food of some sort, maybe a koozie.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

The scratch off ticket is a great idea! I can imagine that would go over well!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Another vote for edible.

I've been to weddings where I've received a few Hershey's kisses sitting at my place setting (evidence quickly destroyed ;) ), jelly beans in a bag, jam, hot chocolate mix with marshmallows in a mason jar, heart shaped cookie cutters, and suckers. 

None of the above particularly expensive. We didn't officially give favours, but we had a candy buffet with take home bags. 

I LOVE tea, and would love the tea itself, but not the tea cups. Expensive doesn't always mean better. GOOD chocolate is better. 
    Those teacups could have cost them $1000 a piece but that doesn't matter when no one takes them home or they end up at goodwill.  But really, I don't look at a favor and determine if it is good based on if it looks expensive.  Who does that?  That would be like me going to your wedding and only thinking it was good if it looked like you spent $X. 

• SP29 said:
    Another vote for edible.

I've been to weddings where I've received a few Hershey's kisses sitting at my place setting (evidence quickly destroyed ;) ), jelly beans in a bag, jam, hot chocolate mix with marshmallows in a mason jar, heart shaped cookie cutters, and suckers. 

None of the above particularly expensive. We didn't officially give favours, but we had a candy buffet with take home bags. 

I LOVE tea, and would love the tea itself, but not the tea cups. Expensive doesn't always mean better. GOOD chocolate is better. 
    OMG JAM! Yes. I am a big fan of jam. Not the biggest fan of your typical wedding favors, but man oh man if I got jam as a favor, I would definitely remember it. :-)
  • If any of your guests think your truffles aren't good enough, I'll give you my address and they can send their unwanted favor to me. I will gladly take them.
  • I. Love. Chocolate.

As far as I'm concerned, chocolate can never be "not good enough."
  • Um, ok, So we plan on getting married at a Tea Garden and I was thinking a loose tea diffuser and a 2 oz tin of tea as a favor, is this ok, or is it wasteful? I'm not trying to be bitchy, I thought it was cleaver but now I'm thinking not.
  • Um, ok, So we plan on getting married at a Tea Garden and I was thinking a loose tea diffuser and a 2 oz tin of tea as a favor, is this ok, or is it wasteful? I'm not trying to be bitchy, I thought it was cleaver but now I'm thinking not.
    Eh... if you know everyone that is going to your wedding is a tea drinker I would think its fine. If you're just doing that because its a cute idea bounced off your location I'd pass and spend the money elsewhere or on favors that are immediately edible. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    CMGragain said:

Belgium chocolate rocks.  

If you get a chance go to Bruges.   One of my favorite cities in the world.
    And waffles, don't forget to eat ALL the WAFFLES!  OMG, I still dream of the deliciousness that is a true Belgian waffle!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards