Outdoor Weddings

Double Duty Tent or Find a New Venue

edited June 2015 in Outdoor Weddings
FI and I visited a beautiful park this weekend and fell in love, but here is the catch, they do not have an "indoor" space in case of inclement weather. On the site there is a large tent with sides where receptions are normally held, and the coordinator said usually if it rains, both the ceremony and reception just happen in the tent.

But...the only reason FI and I are so sold on this place is the general scenery. It's a historical park with an 1800s mansion on the grounds (of course...we can't use the mansion. damn it.) If it rains and everything happens in the tent, the actual draw of the place is kinda lost. I mean, we could get married in a tent anywhere...like my backyard for a lot less money. Another issue I have with the potential for rain is that the bathrooms are not attached to the tent. The coordinator said "people usually provide umbrellas so guests can walk to the bathrooms." Uh. I don't like that.

So Knotties, what would you do?

Double Duty Tent or Find a New Venue 23 votes

Just take the chance, at least everyone will be dry.
17% 4 votes
No way, find something else.
82% 19 votes

Re: Double Duty Tent or Find a New Venue

• If you're not happy with their inclement weather solution, choose somewhere else. It sounds like you would feel you wasted your money if you wind up having to use the tent. And rain isn't the only reason you need a plan B location. Depending on your area, it could be too hot, too cold, etc. to be outside. At least one poster on here had a hurricane hit their wedding!
  • We planned on having a beach wedding.

Reception was under a pavilion and tent.  The pavilion had large shutters than could be closed.  The tent had walls.   Basically the tent butt  up against the pavilion.  

A storm hit on the day of our wedding.  We had the ceremony under the tent. Then the switched it over for cocktail party and dinner after.   They had extra staff and it went from ceremony to cocktail hour in 10 minutes.

It was not ideal and yes the guests had to witnessing them moving everything.  But due to the weather people understood. It wasn't a big deal.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'd pick somewhere else, because like you said, you can get married in a tent anywhere. 
  • It doesn't sound like you are truly sold on it so I would find somewhere else to have your wedding.

Outdoor weddings can be tricky.  You need to be happy/okay with both the beautiful weather nad inclement weather plans since either could happen.  So unless you are completely fine and happy with the inclement weather plan this place offers then there is no sense going with the venue.  

• It doesn't sound like you are truly sold on it so I would find somewhere else to have your wedding.

Outdoor weddings can be tricky.  You need to be happy/okay with both the beautiful weather nad inclement weather plans since either could happen.  So unless you are completely fine and happy with the inclement weather plan this place offers then there is no sense going with the venue.  
    I'm having a truly tough time deciding because of how beautiful the location and the area are, in general. It's one of those situations where, if I could guarantee nice weather, I would book instantly. The reception tent is just a tent with tile floor, so that isn't anything special at all. Darn these decisions.

We are visiting another venue on Thursday with an indoor ballroom to see if it might be a better all around option.
  • abcdevonn said:
    It doesn't sound like you are truly sold on it so I would find somewhere else to have your wedding.

I'm having a truly tough time deciding because of how beautiful the location and the area are, in general. It's one of those situations where, if I could guarantee nice weather, I would book instantly. The reception tent is just a tent with tile floor, so that isn't anything special at all. Darn these decisions.

We are visiting another venue on Thursday with an indoor ballroom to see if it might be a better all around option.
    I would also see if you can find any other outdoor options, but that have nicer areas in case of inclement weather.

I had really wanted an outdoor wedding over looking the eastern shore, but I know my luck and my luck would have meant a crazy storm on my wedding day.  And even though weather is uncontrollable I just didn't want another thing to be worrying about especially when I would have no control over it.

I am sure you will find something that you will love.

• I was in your boat last year. Found a place with GORGEOUS grounds and a barn they'd renovated. Got inside the barn and HATED the decor (think bad Italian restautant).

If we could have been guaranteed a nice day we would have had it there, but since Mother Nature makes no guarantees we moved on.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards