Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Puzzle unity ceremony?

My fiance does not want to do the unity candles or sand ceremony, and we were thinking about having a puzzle made with one of our engagement photos and a favorite Bible verse on it, and then having his/my parents, grandparents, siblings, and our pastor each put a piece of it together during the ceremony.  We would then put the rest of the 15 pieces together with the last one being put in by us both.  Thoughts on this?

Re: Puzzle unity ceremony?

• My fiance does not want to do the unity candles or sand ceremony, and we were thinking about having a puzzle made with one of our engagement photos and a favorite Bible verse on it, and then having his/my parents, grandparents, siblings, and our pastor each put a piece of it together during the ceremony.  We would then put the rest of the 15 pieces together with the last one being put in by us both.  Thoughts on this?

Not a fan.  I would just skip the unity part of the ceremony because really you saying vows to each other and the officiant stating you are now married is pretty darn unifying in and of itself.

As for the puzzle, why not use that idea as your guest book?  Each guest could sign a puzzle piece and place it in a bowl, then you and your FI can put the puzzle together after the wedding (will give you time to read each piece) and then get it framed.

This sounds like a great idea. I do not want to watch anybody assemble a puzzle during a wedding ceremony. 

• Unity ceremonies should involve just the B&G (you're the only ones unifying).  

What you could do would be to have the puzzle fully assembled except for 2 pieces - one for you, one for him. That wouldn't be as awkward as having a bunch of people come up with puzzle pieces and make guests watch while you assemble a puzzle.
    *********************************************************************************

• My fiance does not want to do the unity candles or sand ceremony, and we were thinking about having a puzzle made with one of our engagement photos and a favorite Bible verse on it, and then having his/my parents, grandparents, siblings, and our pastor each put a piece of it together during the ceremony.  We would then put the rest of the 15 pieces together with the last one being put in by us both.  Thoughts on this?

***********SIB***********
    I'm bored already, just thinking about it. 
    "Unique" isn't always a good thing. In this case, it just seems like trying too hard to do something different, without considering the logistics. Each person, coming up separately, to add a puzzle piece that none of the other guests will probably be able to see. It's going to take a while.

Just skip it. Stick with the classic ceremony. You can't go wrong with that. It's unique because it's you and your partner, not because of silly things like making sand vases or puzzles. 
  • This might be fun for you and your FI to do in your personal time, but your guests won't want to do it, let alone watch it, as a "unity ceremony" during your wedding.  So I wouldn't do this.

If you want to add readings or songs to the basic ceremony that have special meaning for you, you can certainly do that, but your wedding ceremony is in and of itself a "unity ceremony," so I don't think it's necessary to add more "unity rituals" to the classic ceremony.

• You cannot advertize here.  @artbyallie @KnotRiley

• Viczaesar said:
    You cannot advertize here.  @artbyallie @KnotRiley
    I'd also be hesitant to purchase a custom design anything from a vendor that cannot properly draft a simple paragraph without multiple errors in it. 
  • Thanks for the heads-up. Also closing since this is a zombie thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards