Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

No photographs during ceremony?

2»

Re: No photographs during ceremony?

• Options
    I'd be upset if my guests couldn't take pictures. Besides, I think most people take pictures with their phones now anyway and the flash is easy to turn off. I would think they would at least a professional but some places are just really strict like that. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    She suggests that it disrupts the sanctity of the moment and that people (including us, the guests, etc.) will not really be paying attention if they're too busy taking pictures. She seemed very set on this. I was a bit annoyed, but I really like her in all other ways and she's a family friend, so we're pushing forward. In a way I kind of like the idea now though.

This is flawed logic. A photographer isn't there to partake in the sanctity of the moment. They don't care about your vows. They care about taking pictures.

It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself that this is a good idea, because you don't want to upset your parents.

At the end of the day, all you will have are pictures and your memories. And you will be missing pictures from the most important part of the day.

This is very true. I do not want to upset my parents, and I genuinely DO like the officiant in all other ways. But I'm paying $3k for the photographer and I want my photos of the moment, dammit! Thank you all, for reassuring me that I'm not being a crazy bridezilla for wanting this. I will see if I can talk some sense into this officiant.
    I spent almost $2,000 on my photographer. I would have flipped out and fired the officiant if I'd been told that I couldn't use the photographer during the ceremony. To me, the ceremony was the most important part. It's what I wanted to remember the most. I love those photos, both from the photographers and from the guests. 

Besides, the photographer isn't a wedding guest. I didn't need her or her assistant to be "present" during the ceremony. I needed them to be doing what I paid for. 
  • Options
    I've heard of churches, most commonly Catholic ones, having this rule. I've heard in rare occasions that they would only allow no flash from the back of the sanctuary. I've never heard of an officiant having this rule regardless of the location. I would not allow an officiant to make this rule at a venue that is not their venue. A venue specific rule I can understand, but the whole "be present" is garage. You an't make people "be present" no mater what you say or tell them to do or not do. Let adults, be adults.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I think this is an instance where you can use the "it's my day" argument.  A good officiant will work to make the ceremony for the couple special for them.... banning something like a photographer because it's what SHE thinks is right, is well, not right.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    I may be a little late to the party here, but there's absolutely no way I'd ever agree to this. Your officiant's job is to marry you, that's it. Not tell you when your photog can and can't take pics.
  • Options
    We met with our officiant yesterday and she said she had only one rule and that is that photographs will not be allowed during the ceremony. This includes both the professional photographers and the guests. At first I was a little put-off because I always imagined having photos to document the ceremony, but on thinking about it more I decided that I like the idea of being totally "in the moment" rather than "on camera" and there will be so many photos from the rest of the day that I don't really care.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? Were you bummed out that there were no photos of the ceremony? Of course we can just tell our photographers not to take any pictures during the ceremony, but the passing the words to guests is a little stickier - I've lurked on these boards long enough to know that a little sign saying "no photos" could be perceived as rude.

Ideas? Thoughts?
    If it's the rule of the officiant or the location, i'd think that the officiant can make a quick announcement before the ceremony.  That's not to say everyone will listen to her.  Did she give a reason, I have never heard of this before.  When i've seen no photography ceremony requests in the past it is usually coming from the couple.

I would personally be a bit annoyed, we have some great pictures from during our vows of DH, myself and the whole bridal party for that matter!!
    She suggests that it disrupts the sanctity of the moment and that people (including us, the guests, etc.) will not really be paying attention if they're too busy taking pictures. She seemed very set on this. I was a bit annoyed, but I really like her in all other ways and she's a family friend, so we're pushing forward. In a way I kind of like the idea now though.

A good photographer's job is to capture beautiful moments without being disruptive! I would run far, far away from this officiant if it isn't too late! 
  • Options
    Yay!! Congrats!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I'm worried that I might not be able to have a photographer during my ceremony. I'm Episcopalian and I've read that often Episcopal churches do not allow photography during the ceremony. I haven't talked to my priest yet, but while if they have that rule I'll be extremely upset, I wouldn't change my mind about the venue because it has always been my dream.
  • Options
    Well, if you have to have that officiant, use a company that can equip the venue and you& groom with micro cameras. These guys did mine that way for the i-dos. https://www.theknot.com/marketplace/thousand-words-photography®-national-service-offering-nc-874784 
    Look a few posts up. She is married now, and she said it all worked out in the end. 
  • Options
    I'd let your parents know what this officiant is suggesting. 

Ceremony photos are some of the most beautiful and touching photos - the look as you walk down the aisle. The faces of your parents. Our videographer was also able to capture everything - the ceremony is a blur. 

Remember this wedding isn't about your officiant and you are the employer therefore you will have to have a talk with her. 

A GOOD photographer - you'll never know they are around. 

• Options
    I'd let your parents know what this officiant is suggesting. 

Ceremony photos are some of the most beautiful and touching photos - the look as you walk down the aisle. The faces of your parents. Our videographer was also able to capture everything - the ceremony is a blur. 

Remember this wedding isn't about your officiant and you are the employer therefore you will have to have a talk with her. 

A GOOD photographer - you'll never know they are around. 

Reading the thread would let you know she is married and it worked out fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards