Chit Chat

Emma Sulkowicz part 2

kaos16kaos16 member
First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
edited June 2015 in Chit Chat
I know we had a heated debate last week about this young lady attending her graduation at Columbia carrying her mattress across the stage.  A news article has just been released about her latest piece of performance art:

From this article is seems that she recorded a sexual encounter between herself and a man that was consensual with violent appearances.  She has called it "Ceci N'est Pas Un Viol" or "This is not a rape," 

Thoughts?

ETA:  The link is to an article NOT the video.  It, in my opinion, is safe for work.

Re: Emma Sulkowicz part 2

• I'm not sure what to say...

I guess it seems an odd choice to me, but who am I to say what she should or shouldn't do to cope with the issue and / or bring light to an issue that needs to be at the forefront of cultural conversation?

If she were harming someone else to make her point- different story, but she didn't so to each their own.
  • I don't know what I think because I'm afraid to click on that link at work. 

I'm assuming NSFW, right?
    *********************************************************************************

• kaos16kaos16 member
    I don't know what I think because I'm afraid to click on that link at work. 

I'm assuming NSFW, right?
    Oh, i'm sorry. . . . I think it's fine for work, the link is to the article, not the video.  It shows stills from the video, but not of anything NSFW
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    I'm not sure what to say... I guess it seems an odd choice to me, but who am I to say what she should or shouldn't do to cope with the issue and / or bring light to an issue that needs to be at the forefront of cultural conversation? If she were harming someone else to make her point- different story, but she didn't so to each their own.
    I wonder if the man in this encounter knew he was becoming part of a performance piece.  
  • kaos16 said:
    I'm not sure what to say... I guess it seems an odd choice to me, but who am I to say what she should or shouldn't do to cope with the issue and / or bring light to an issue that needs to be at the forefront of cultural conversation? If she were harming someone else to make her point- different story, but she didn't so to each their own.
    I wonder if the man in this encounter knew he was becoming part of a performance piece.  
    That's what I was going to say. I don't care that she filmed it if he knew he was being filmed and it was consensual and agreed upon that it would be used like this. If not...well, I don't agree with her there. Filming someone without their consent and posting it online is a seriously shitty thing to do, no matter who does it.

As far as the actual performance art aspect of it, I think it could be brilliant. I didn't watch the video, because work and whatnot, but if this is her way of saying "consensual sex can be hot and rough while STILL being CONSENSUAL" then good for her.
  • Eh...this is odd. Like PPs I don't know what to say.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm wondering what she means by "This is not rape".

Is she saying rough, but consenual, sex is not rape? Cause I mean she's right.

Or is she saying "This is what happened to me and I was told that it was not rape"? 

Or is she saying "This is what happened to me and I was told that it was not rape"? 

To the bolded, both good points.  I agree, though I haven't watched the video since I'm at work.  I'll have more to say when I can fully read and watch.  
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

I was wondering the  same thing. This article gives a little bit more (a LITTLE bit) of her perspective on it. Yes, the man in the video knew what kind of project he was working on. Here's the link (and yes it's safe to click on at work):
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    I'm wondering what she means by "This is not rape".

I was wondering the  same thing. This article gives a little bit more (a LITTLE bit) of her perspective on it. Yes, the man in the video knew what kind of project he was working on. Here's the link (and yes it's safe to click on at work):
    maybe i missed soemthing, but in that article I saw that the man engaged in consensual sex, but nothing about him knowing it was being recorded for an art project
  • kaos16 said:
    I'm wondering what she means by "This is not rape".

maybe i missed soemthing, but in that article I saw that the man engaged in consensual sex, but nothing about him knowing it was being recorded for an art project
    my apologies; I thought one of the parts about working on the project was about the man in the video but it's actually about the man who directed the video. I can't find anything that says the man in the video was aware that he was being filmed as part of a project that would be published. Hopefully she was up-front with him about it, and with the director involved, hopefully he was aware of what he was participating in. I agree that it would be really shitty if he didn't know. 
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    I went to try to watch the video and it said "The video could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported".  From what I understand, though. her and the other person in the film are consenting to it, but it is made to look like a rape kind of, and "is not a reenactment but may seem like one".  The website also says "it's only a reenactment if you disregard my words. It's about you, not him".  IDK how I feel about it.
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    I would also be interested to see if the man she has accused of raping her releases any statement about this.
  • kaos16 said:
    Good question / point...  Damn; that would be awful for him.
  • doeydodoeydo member
    I don't recommend reading the comments on the website for the video, BTW.
  • doeydo said:
    I don't recommend reading the comments on the website for the video, BTW.
    Interneting rule #1....don't read the comments.
  • FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Sounds like a reference to The Treachery of Images by Magritte, no?

This is Not a Pipe- meaning, it's a picture of a pipe, a word for pipe, but not a pipe. 

The article doesn't go into much depth but if I'm right, I'd imagine it's pointing out the fine lines that people draw when deciding when something is or isn't rape, especially considering how much crap she got in her case. 

Nonconsensual but probably pretty vanilla sex, even if they had previous relations= rape. 
    Rough sex= not rape. 

Or something like that. 

I didn't even think of the second one. Hmmm.
  • I immediately thought the point was "this is what happened to me and I was told it wasn't rape".

(If everything is on the up and up with consent) I'm pretty amazed she hasn't given up yet, I know I would have crumpled a long time ago.  
  • doeydodoeydo member
    edited June 2015
    Someone did a video entitled "Ceci n'est pas un viol" and posted in December of 2012.  I am not sure how similar they are (as I have not been able to view the one by Emma Sulkowicz yet) or if this one was supposed to be related to it somehow?
    The link to that one is below however warning: trigger warning, contains physical harm/violence with a weapon, sexual violence, sexual assault, self harm, nudity, and is NSFW

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards