Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

As the bride and groom, who are we supposed to buy gifts for?

My wedding is in 7 weeks. Time to really zero in on the budget and make sure there aren't any surprises. One of the things I've been thinking about is gifts. Who are we supposed to get gifts for?

Here's who I have so far:
Flower girl and ring bearer
Bridal party

I'm on the fence about:
Each other (a nice idea but is this a "must do" thing? Sort of feels like it would be totally overshadowed by the wedding anyway, and one more thing to worry about/budget for)
My parents -- is it customary to do this? Especially if they are paying for some major elements of the wedding?

Any suggestions for parent gifts if that is customary?

Re: As the bride and groom, who are we supposed to buy gifts for?

• We got gifts for:

- wedding party
    - ceremony musicians
    - ushers
    - officiants
    - parents

We didn't get gifts for each other, as we were giving each other a wedding.  And, y'know, us.

Our parents and officiants (close family friends) got the same basic thing - a gift basket with bottles of our wedding wine, some coffee, tea, chocolate and handmade soap.  The main point of the baskets, though, was that we also wrote letters to our parents about how much they mean to us and how they got us here.  We thought that was the most important part, and most parents would agree.

We also gave them professional wedding pictures in nice frames for Christmas, which was about two months later.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • We're picking up gifts for:
    -our wedding party
    -our folks
    -our officiant (the only vendor we have)

As part of our wedding, we're doing a rose ceremony, so the roses serve as our gifts to each other. Other than that, FI will just be getting a card

• H and I bought gifts for our wedding party and officiant because he was a close friend rather then someone we hired.  We did not buy gifts for our parents but rather wrote them heartfelt thank you notes and gave them lots of hugs and "I love yous."

We also did not get each other gifts because we really didn't see the point.  Our gift to each other was our HM, and honestly having to worry about another gift was just something that we didn't want to deal with.

• I'd do it for your wedding party members.  If your officiant is affiliated with a house of worship, I'd consider making a donation to the house of worship.

You don't need to give gifts to your parents or each other.

• We did gifts to the wedding party including ushers and the ceremony readers. 

We gave our parents photo albums, but that was after the fact. 
  • spglspspglsp member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    We're not giving each other gifts, it seems a little redundant on top of the vows and the rings. I've heard of couples exchanging letters though, that sounds lovely. We are giving our parents gifts (particularly because of the support they've offered) although some couples go with heartfelt letters or cards instead. I wouldn't advise doing nothing for them if they're paying for the event but it doesn't have to be over the top
    Just Married!

•  My daughter gave me a beautiful thank you note, a big hug, a "Thanks, Mom!  It was perfect!"  Oh, yeah, and a box of See's truffles.  What more could a mother want?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We're getting gifts for our wedding party and parents. Instead of getting each other gifts, we'll write letters and exchange them the morning of. We also might get something for our readers, but we have to come up with something.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards