Just Engaged and Proposals

Need help with proposal ideas!

JL321JL321 member
First Comment

Hey everyone,

We’re taking a trip to Bora Bora soon and I plan to pop the question there. What I am having trouble deciding is how to do it. There’s a few options I’m already considering but I’d love to hear anything you have in mind.

1. Helicopter proposal with message written on the beach ($1700) – This will be tricky as I want to to the actual proposing on the ground, but she’ll see the message before we land.

2. Proposal in front Mount Otemanu in the daytime (Free)-(view example) http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/03/3b/05/31/the-st-regis-bora-bora.jpg

3. Proposal at Dinnertime at sunset with a view of Mount Otemanu (Free) – (view example) http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/04/8f/16/67/the-st-regis-bora-bora.jpg

4. Same as number 3 but have the words “Marry me” pop up in fire in the water ($800)

I’d really like to hear your ideas and input. Thanks in advance!

Re: Need help with proposal ideas!

• If you could do #2 or #3 without people around, thatd be ideal IMO. You could also still propose after the heli trip on the ground without the writing.
  • Do #2 or #3. The other two sound like disasters (expensive disasters) waiting to happen. 

• Keep it simple. #2 or #3 get my vote also.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Threeee. Sunset gives it a lot of memorable flair without the crazy, crazy costs of fires and helicopters. If you could arrange for a slightly later dinner, you could propose along the beach at sunset and have a little more privacy, then enjoy a nice dinner. I'd only do it in front of people AT dinner if you're 100% sure of a yes and 100% sure your partner is okay with an audience.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sorry, but I don't get it.  My DH and I were sitting out on his covered apartment balcony in the rain when he said "How would you like to be a June bride?  (Yikes!  It was late March!)  Will you marry me?"  No big production.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • 2 or 3 because they are simple, straightforward, and free. personally i think the best proposals are personal and from the heart, not expensive productions.
  • CMGragain said:
    Sorry, but I don't get it.  My DH and I were sitting out on his covered apartment balcony in the rain when he said "How would you like to be a June bride?  (Yikes!  It was late March!)  Will you marry me?"  No big production.
    Some people want the big production.  That is not a bad thing.  Just because your H did it one way does not make it the ONLY way.

• OP, I would do 2 or 3.  The setting of Bora Bora alone will be enough to make a wow statement.  And there is something about hearing "will you marry me?" (or something similar) said from my H's mouth which was just wonderful.  Much better then reading it.

• I would do it alone, at sunset on the beach.  I'm not a huge fan of dinner proposals infront of others.  Also, you can say a million beautiful things to her before you ask and the only words she's going to remember are "Will you marry me"  trust me on that one.  Once she knows it's happening, it will be as if you're speaking latin.  
  • I would vote, but you deleted your post, which is weird.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • CMGragain said:

Sorry, but I don't get it.  My DH and I were sitting out on his covered apartment balcony in the rain when he said "How would you like to be a June bride?  (Yikes!  It was late March!)  Will you marry me?"  No big production.

Just because you got engaged that way 40 years ago doesn't mean that everyone else has to do it that way. Some people want a big to-do. You don't need to hate on that. To each their own. My husband proposed to me on the top of the rock of Gibraltar and it was one of the most special moments of my life. My parents got engaged in 1969 much like you did. Who cares?!?
  • JL321JL321 member
    First Comment
    Thanks for your input everyone. I've made my decision and will be going with #2 but perhaps closer to sunset.

Just because you got engaged that way 40 years ago doesn't mean that everyone else has to do it that way. Some people want a big to-do. You don't need to hate on that. To each their own. My husband proposed to me on the top of the rock of Gibraltar and it was one of the most special moments of my life. My parents got engaged in 1969 much like you did. Who cares?!?

Nicely said. Your engagement sounds amazing and great wedding photos too!
  • Good choice! It will be a special moment in her life regarless of how it all goes down.  If you can get pictures of the whole thing- that's even better.  I was proposed to on the summit of Mt Washington after we hiked for 2 days.  He handed the camera to someone and asked the guy to take our picture.  After a couple of shots, he said "could you take just one more?" and with that got down on one knee and asked.  Fortunately, the guy was snapping away and got my first reaction of aboslute shock on camera, and the aftermath. Despite my crazy face- I love it.  So if you want a clever way to capture it without leading her on to what's going on, that's a pretty good way to do it.  

Good luck! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards