Budget Weddings Forum

small but fancy.

DarthV8rDarthV8r member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited June 2015 in Budget Weddings Forum
I just don't want to worry about rentals, fixing up my house, renting bathrooms, catering for 100 people, insurance and liabilty, and making my neighbors grumpy. Etc. Etc. Can I have a black tie on the beach for 10 guests for about the same price? 8k? I am waiting to hear back from vendors, but what does the knot think?

Re: small but fancy.

• I just don't want to worry about rentals, fixing up my house, renting bathrooms, catering for 100 people, insurance and liabilty, and making my neighbors grumpy. Etc. Etc. Can I have a black tie on the beach for 10 guests for about the same price? 8k? I am waiting to hear back from vendors, but what does the knot think?
    Absolutely. I had 33 people at a nice restaurant in a downtown high rise with their best food and bar options for about $8,000.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I don't know about a black tie event on the beach, but you could very easily have a super nice wedding on the beach for 10 people with that size budget.

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

Black tie on the beach? Just no.

But yes, you can have a very nice ceremony and reception for 8k

BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:

Why no black tie? Is it because you don't like the way it looks or because it is against etiquette ?
  • KatWAG said:

Why no black tie? Is it because you don't like the way it looks or because it is against etiquette ?
    Black tie events actually have a set of rules and requirements that need to be followed to be able to deem your wedding black tie.  It isn't just about attire.   And having it on the beach is not on that list.  @PrettyGirlLost is very good at listing out what is necessary for a black tie event.

• redoryx said:
    By "black tie on the beach" do you mean, like, the literal beach? Or beach front property? I'm hoping you mean beach front property, because if I was invited to a black tie affair and had to worry about getting sand in my ball gown or trying to walk on a beach in high heels because the bride's vision of her wedding was more important than my comfort, i'd be fucking pissed. 

oh that explains a lot. I didn't know black tie meant you had to wear heels and full ball gown. I thought it meant white glove service, the men dress in tuxedos , bridesmaids are in long dresses. Anyhow, I was thinking beachfront. As in the hotel Del Coronado or Lowe's resort. Or a restaurant with ocean views. A restaurant would be fine too in any area as long as there is a ceremony spot.
  • redoryx said:
    By "black tie on the beach" do you mean, like, the literal beach? Or beach front property? I'm hoping you mean beach front property, because if I was invited to a black tie affair and had to worry about getting sand in my ball gown or trying to walk on a beach in high heels because the bride's vision of her wedding was more important than my comfort, i'd be fucking pissed. 

oh that explains a lot. I didn't know black tie meant you had to wear heels and full ball gown. I thought it meant white glove service, the men dress in tuxedos , bridesmaids are in long dresses. Anyhow, I was thinking beachfront. As in the hotel Del Coronado or Lowe's resort. Or a restaurant with ocean views. A restaurant would be fine too in any area as long as there is a ceremony spot.
    Typically the attire that corresponds to black tie events are evening gowns and tuxedos.

Well seeing as you aren't having it on the actual beach, but rather in a very nice hotel over looking the beach, black tie is possible.  

But are your guests used to black tie events?  I mean you can still have all the fanciness of a black tie event, but not put "Black Tie" on your invites.  This way your guests won't have to rent/buy a tux or buy an evening gown.

• Well the only people that are invited is our bridal party and parents. Also, it depends on the time of day .Weather it is a Sunday morning or Friday night depends on how we choose attire too. I am easy going so whatever is easier and the most appropriate style of wedding is what we will do.
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2015
    Your budget it fine.    You should get a pretty decent menu with that kind of budget for 10 people.

I think black-tie is over kill.   Black-tie are typically big events.  With passed hors d'oeuvres, top shelf open bars, bands, 5 course meals, dancing, etc.

Can you do that with 10 people?  Sure, but as a guest I would be kind of annoyed in having to dress up in an evening gown just for the sake of dressing up.    

I say cut the "black-tie" part out.   Just have a nice fancy multi-course, top shelf meal at a really nice restaurant (or at one of the rooms at the Del).

FYI - my DH use to be a chef at the Del  :)

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Well the only people that are invited is our bridal party and parents. Also, it depends on the time of day .Weather it is a Sunday morning or Friday night depends on how we choose attire too. I am easy going so whatever is easier and the most appropriate style of wedding is what we will do.

Why do you want men in tuxedos and women in long dresses so badly? Why cant they wear what they want?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:
    Well the only people that are invited is our bridal party and parents. Also, it depends on the time of day .Weather it is a Sunday morning or Friday night depends on how we choose attire too. I am easy going so whatever is easier and the most appropriate style of wedding is what we will do.

Why do you want men in tuxedos and women in long dresses so badly? Why cant they wear what they want?

t The style of wedding will depend on the time of day, venue and budget of those involved. So long gowns and tuxes will probably not be happening but that's cool. Maybe my post was getting my point across. I am easy breezy.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    A black tie wedding means that all of your guests must wear tuxedos and evening gowns. This is a lot of trouble for your guests.  Also, a black tie wedding means no skimping on anything - full dinner (lobster and steak, not chicken). live band, open bar.  It doesn't sound like this is what you are planning.
    Why not just have a nice, formal wedding?  Dark suits for men, cocktail attire for ladies.  If it is after 6:00PM, your wedding party can wear tuxedos and long gowns.  Since you wedding is so small, everyone can dress up if they wish, but make the tuxedos optional.
    My daughter had a formal brunch reception at a country club.  Dark suits and church lady dresses were the norm for guests.  There was dancing and a lovely buffet.  I recommend this.  You will save money on the food.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • dalm0mdalm0m member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    At the Hotel Del Coronado you absolutely can have a black tie beach wedding just don't expect too many people to want to trek on hot sand in formal wear. 

There are etiquette differences between true black tie, white tie, morning coats or tuxedo with me in white dinner jackets. 

If what you want are really dressed up people but you want to take pictures on the beach at that venue you will be just fine.  About the budget though is the whole $8k for the dinner or is that expected to include clothes, photographer, flowers, dinner, & your accommodations?   It may be OK as long as you don't go crazy with your dress or the champagne. 
  • I found a great venue on a marina. Decided to go with a weekday lunch reception as we will be heading for our honeymoon immediately after. It took a long time to find because a lot of upscale places had a minimum food and beverage amount.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards