Pre-wedding Parties

Guns for Bachelor Party?

Hi there, 

In two weeks my fiancé is having his bachelor party (3 days) up north in Minnesota at a cabin with a bunch of his buddies. Recently I found out that they will be bringing and shooting guns for fun. They like to party, get completely wasted together and have a good time. And it always is a good time for them! But, with how many gun accidents I've read about over my life, I feel very worried about the accidents that MAY happen. 

His argument: I am trying to micro-manage his bachelor party. He has good, level-headed friends that he trusts. That they won't use the guns when they are drinking (although I feel like they will drink the whole time so that is part of my concern)

My argument: Accidents with guns happen all the time. Some of the men (including my fiancé) do not have experience with guns. Alcohol + guns don't mix. 

Am I just being overcautious? Should I just 'trust' that everything will be okay? I trust my fiancé! But again...accidents DO happen and I would never want him or any of his friends to get hurt. Especially at a secluded cabin where help is nowhere nearby. 

Should I just give up my concerns and let him have the fun that he wants? I'm not trying to ruin his party!! I just wish guns weren't involved...

I need help! 

Thanks in advance! 

Re: Guns for Bachelor Party?

• Have these guys used guns before??  
  • Some of them have, one was in the military. My fiancé has one time a long time ago. But I don't think they have much experience collectively. 
  • Let it go. They're adults. They should know drinking and guns don't mix. If they don't, they shouldn't own guns.

• I mean, alcohol and guns don't mix well for obvious reasons. But your FH is an adult. And you're not his mom.

Look, I understand you're concerned and I don't blame you at all. But if you don't trust his judgment and his judgment of his friends, then y'all have deeper issues to work on.
    *********************************************************************************

• H and I enjoy skeet shooting. H and I also enjoy drinking. H and I know that shooting while under the influence is very stupid and probably illegal even on private property (it is in most if not all states).

Look, if H and his friends headed up to a cabin for a weekend, undoubtedly there would be both alcohol and a firearms packed. But H and friends are not idiots (well, they are, but not about important things) and would keep the shooting and drinking as separate activities. You either trust your future husband to be responsible or you don't. Are you worried about them driving drunk?

Tell him you hope everyone stays sober while shooting and that you hope he has a fabulous time, make sure he's got eye and ear protection, and then trust your future spouse to not do stupid, probably illegal things.
  • I DO trust him, as mentioned in the post. My concern is that accidents happen all the time. Thanks though! 
  • Thanks for the replies. I think I'll just let it go and hope it all goes well. I'm a bit of a natural worry-wart so it's good to get some outside perspective. Thank you! 
  • edited June 2015
    H and I enjoy skeet shooting. H and I also enjoy drinking. H and I know that shooting while under the influence is very stupid and probably illegal even on private property (it is in most if not all states). Look, if H and his friends headed up to a cabin for a weekend, undoubtedly there would be both alcohol and a firearms packed. But H and friends are not idiots (well, they are, but not about important things) and would keep the shooting and drinking as separate activities. You either trust your future husband to be responsible or you don't. Are you worried about them driving drunk? Tell him you hope everyone stays sober while shooting and that you hope he has a fabulous time, make sure he's got eye and ear protection, and then trust your future spouse to not do stupid, probably illegal things.
    This. Because you are absolutely right, guns and alcohol do not mix. But even my dad, who has been teaching firearm safety courses for longer than I've been alive, takes beer on his hunting trips. The beer is only drunk in camp, and the guns are only used while sober.

ETA: Also, there is probably time to hustle your FI into a firearm class at a local range before he goes. Hearing the same advice from an expert might help convince him of your seriousness. Maybe go together, because target shooting is fun.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wouldn't worry.  I've gone to the range with my FI and even fired some rifles at balloons on private property.  Yes, there are a lot of gun accidents in the news recently- but they are far fewer than the number of car accidents that occur each day.  You shouldn't worry about this kind of thing. If the guys own guns, it means they have experience- and if there is a guy in the military, he definitely has experience.  All you can do is tell him to be safe and have fun.  Don't stress yourself out.  And you should try it out for yourself sometime- it's lots of fun!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards