Registry and Gift Forum

Knife sets

Hello!

My husband and I are looking into completing our registry items and are a bit stuck on a knife set.  I was wondering if any cooks out there had strong opinions on Global?  We recieved two, and would like to complete the set but are a little unsure of what "must have" knives make a good starter set. 

Thanks!

Re: Knife sets

• I have not heard of that brand before.  I purchased knives from JA Henkels, from the professional line.  I highly recommend them.  But mother also has a set from Henkels that is 30+years old.  They just need to be sharpened professionally from time to time.

Chicago Cutlery is also a good brand.

• I've never heard of Global either. My knives are all Cutco (I used to work for them almost 20 years ago). They're not the best-looking knives, but I've only ever had to have them sharpened once (a local rep came to my apartment and did them) even though they are used very frequently.

As far as what knives are good to have? The knives in this set are a great starting point (though I prefer an 8" chef's knife). http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/wusthof-gourmet-starter-7-piece-cutlery-set?ID=666218&CategoryID=31760#fn=sp=1&spc=195&ruleId=&slotId=3

If you do a good amount of cooking, I'd recommend a boning knife, a filet knife, a bread knife, a 10" chef's knife, a carving knife. I also love my cleaver, which I use pretty frequently because it's heavy and strong enough to break through chicken joints.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I have an itty bitty kitchen at the moment, so I get by with a weird partially-serrated chef's knife and a paring knife. If I had more space, I would want a normal chef's knife, a paring knife, a 6" utility knife, a bread knife, and maybe a filet knife. I personally never used my cleaver while I had one, and I don't feel it's super important for my kitchen shears to match my knives since...I dunno, shears just don't look like knives. Getting a really good peeler is also a good idea, and sometimes you can get them to match your knives. (But I have never heard of your knife brand either, so YMMV.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm a Wusthof girl myself.  My sister prefers Henkels.  I've never heard of Global.

• I have not heard of that brand before.  I purchased knives from JA Henkels, from the professional line.  I highly recommend them.  But mother also has a set from Henkels that is 30+years old.  They just need to be sharpened professionally from time to time.

Chicago Cutlery is also a good brand.

Agree with both brands mentioned here. I've never heard of Global either.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • On top of Wusthof or Henckels, I like Victorinox. I've never heard of Global.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• On top of Wusthof or Henckels, I like Victorinox. I've never heard of Global.
    Victorinox is also highly rated.  Their chef knife, in particular, is supposed to be great value for the price.

• edited June 2015
    Global is an excellent knife brand- go for it. A lot of top chefs use that brand. They're a Japanese knife; mist of the good ones are; or German. Can't really find a good made in the USA knife- they all seem to use shitty Chinese metal.
  • I've never heard of Global.  I have a Myabi chef's knife and paring knife that I love.  I've also always wanted a Shun, but I'm too poor for that right now.  

• We've always used Henckels, which have been great (and yes, you do have to sharpen them; that is a feature not a flaw). Recently, my brother-in-law sent us this set from Shun Cutlery and they are exceptional.
  • I went through DH's kitchen today.  Half the chefs had at least one Global knife.  Apparently so does DH.      He has an entire tool box full of knifes.  Just bought another one a few days ago.   He has various brands.

At home he had us get Henckels.   I think it was because anything more expensive would be lost on me.  He isn't home much at meals, so having anything better wasn't important.

Remember an expensive knife is useless unless it's sharp.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Think maybe we have misread your question. You already know the brand you are going to use, you want to know the types of knives to get in that brand?

If so, for kitchen work, I would get a 6-8" chef's knife, a small paring knife, a boning knife, kitchen shears, and a sharpening steel. Maybe a bread or utility knife to go with those, but I would start with that first group if limited.
  • Thanks @jnhroller - that is exactly what I wanted to know
  • You're welcome! Glad to help.
  • I truly love my 6" chef's knife. While I have 8" and 10" chef's knives also, I find longer chef's knives unwieldy compared to it. Found one on Amazon by Global, but they seem hard to come by actually had to search for Global 6 inch chef's knife to find it. 

Paring knives are better smaller, too, in my opinion. So I would normally go with a 3" knife, but of the two Global paring knives, I think the handle on this one would be the better of the two.

Finally, a good boning knife and you're set.

Those are the best knives to begin with in your set. Then add the others as you can.

And you will want a sharpening rod and kitchen shears (I didn't love the Gobal shears I saw on Amazon, but any pair will do).
  • i heard Cutco is the best though..
  • i heard Cutco is the best though..

They're good but they're a marketing company. When in doubt, ask a chef.
  • I would get the Santoku and the longer slicer.  After years of cooking experience, those are really the only ones I frequently use.  If you cook a lot of fish, a filet knife would be useful, and if you do a lot of "shaping" -- a pairing knife is useful.  Santoku can replace a chefs knife, that's really personal preference, and the long slicer is used for cutting roasts/meat, among other things.  It allows for a single slicing motion instead of sawing at what you're cutting.
  • I have Globals.  I actually only have a 10" chef's knife and a paring knife and other than the occasional use for a serrated knife for cutting bread, I find those two are all I need.  Most big knife sets are pretty much useless and take up space.

I took a knife class and tried out about 10 different brands and I liked Global because it is lighter weight and the handle is smaller.  I have small hands so German style knives (Wutshof, Henckels, pretty much all the bigger name knives) felt a little big to me, and caused my hand to fatigue faster.  I noticed Giada DiLaurentiis uses them on her show, as does Tiffany Amber Thiessen.  
    Married 9.12.15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards