Nevada-Las Vegas

Fun Thread: How did you and your SO meet?

It's not specifically about Vegas, but here's something everyone can join in on!

Re: Fun Thread: How did you and your SO meet?

• Drunk at our hometown bar. Not very exciting or romantic; I know. We went to the same high school; he was 2 years older. Despite being a smaller school, and a football cheerleader (he played), and having a best friend whose brother was Ben's friend, we never met one another. He did I guess know who I was:) 7 years later and now we are tying the knot!
  • Oh, this is fun, haha. 

I was 18 years old, and it was during my first few weeks of college. I went to a fraternity party with some friends, and it got busted by the cops within an hour of us being there. Everyone was leaving en masse, but my car was blocked in. We decided to walk around the block to kill time until enough people had driven off that I could get my car out. 

We walked past a different house just as a group of guys arrived. They got out of their car and asked us why we were walking down the street after midnight like crazy people. We answered, and they asked us if we wanted to come in and drink with them for awhile. Naively, we said "Sure!" and ended up staying there for several hours drinking Amaretto because it was all they had on hand.

Before we left, my fiance got my number. We ended up going on a few much more normal dates, and we've been together ever since! 
  • The one-liner I use is "We met at nerd camp." FH and I originally met at a total immersion foreign language summer program when I was 20 and he was 19. Apparently it was a love-at-first-sight thing for him. I, uh, thought he was a decent dude and all, but I wasn't attracted. We lost touch shortly after the program ended. Got back in touch two years later, but by then I was engaged -- an incredibly poor decision on my part, and one that was a stab in the gut for now-FH, who'd been hoping I was single. He dated other people, but still kept hoping he and I might have a chance someday.

When the disastrous breakup with that fiance occurred, FH got another gut-stab, sitting by while I had a WILD few months of singledom. When the dust settled from that, he was still there... and I finally saw him for the amazing man he is. 

In a way, Vegas really fits our wedding. FH took a chance on me; I'm the gamble that paid off huge for him ;) 
  • xoedenxoeden member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Y'all are so cute with your stories!

We met online. And don't mean like, Plenty-of-Fish met online, I mean, we met oooooonnnnlineeeee. Yahoo! Chat, baby! We 'met' online just over 15 years ago in a Digimon chat room (you know we were the cool kids, amIright?).

There were several years where we'd talk on the phone with prepaid calling cards, and we'd lose touch and then reconnect and lose touch again. A couple years ago, we reconnected over Facebook and that was it! I left my abusive ex, went on my own little spiritual journey, if you will, and before I knew it, I was flying out east to drive cross-country on his move to live about 30 minutes away from me in Washington state. Next step, marriage. And after that... immigration. Well, permanent residence status.
  • In college at a party :) We were both dating someone else at the time and a few months later we re-connected and started hanging out. 7 years later we are now husband and wife!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • adverbadverb member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    @damnthetorpedoes - That's a very similar story to how me and my FI met. We worked together and were friends for 4 years. I was in a relationship at the time. Then we broke up and I started dating another guy. I got laid off from my job and went to work on a cruise ship. Eventually THAT relationship ended, and once I was done nursing my broken heart, my FI finally asked me out (I'm glad he waited a year). 

@xoeden - A digimon chat room? That is adorable! I'm more of a Pokemon girl myself, but kudos to you!
  • xoedenxoeden member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Cute story, @adverb! The waiting just shows so much care!

Also, I was way more in to Pokemon, but Digimon was the cool thing online in those days...
  • adverbadverb member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    @xoeden - Yes - the waiting definitely showed he care. Honestly, I don't think I was "ready" for my FI until we finally got together. Had he asked me out anytime before he did I wouldn't appreciate him as much as I do now.

I'm willing to bet @damnthetorpedoes feels the same too :)
  • One of my best friends began dating one of my wife's best friends.  They kept trying to get us to meet, but she was in med school and I was running a business, so it took about seven or eight months for them to manage to actually get us both in the same place at the same time.  Finally did, now we're married with a kid lol.  That couple is also married with a kid now too, so they dated longer and got married after introducing us.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• On Plenty of Fish. I was trying to figure out how to delete my profile because I was just over it and he sent me a message. We ended up having 2 dates in one day and haven't really been apart since.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • At work. We work in a very small software development company. We're in the same team. I'm the project manager and he's one of my senior developers :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards