Wedding Party

Bridal Party Titles

Hello!
I'm getting married in May and currently have 1 Maid of Honor (my cousin), 3 Bridesmaids, and 1 Junior Bridesmaid.
My best friend has been EXTREMELY helpful in helping me plan the wedding and has shown the most interest. She is a Bridesmaid but I would like to "promote" her. Our relationship has only gotten better since I have gotten engaged and I would really like for her to stand out on my wedding day.

She is not married so she cannot be the Matron.
Can someone please suggest some additional titles that I can use?

Thank you!!

Re: Bridal Party Titles

• Hello!
    I'm getting married in May and currently have 1 Maid of Honor (my cousin), 3 Bridesmaids, and 1 Junior Bridesmaid.
    My best friend has been EXTREMELY helpful in helping me plan the wedding and has shown the most interest. She is a Bridesmaid but I would like to "promote" her. Our relationship has only gotten better since I have gotten engaged and I would really like for her to stand out on my wedding day.

Thank you!!
    Leave it exactly how it is. Being a bridesmaid is not a job therefore, you cannot get promoted for doing good work. Reward her by showing her, as her friend, how you appreciate her. None of your guests are going to say "Ohhh she's the MAID OF HONOR. She's the most special of all her friends. Those bridesmaids are just 'friends.'" Yeah, nobody cares. It's also really rude to your current Maid of Honor to give someone her title after the fact. 

Bridesmaids are not employees. They are not brideslaves. You shouldn't expect anything beyond them purchasing a dress within the budget they have given you, to smile in photos and be on time. It's awesome when they do above and beyond, but you shouldn't single out one publicly. It's almost like a public shaming of the rest of them. "Well, Sally did all of my wedding chores so I'm going to promote her to Maid of Honor. The rest of you blooooooow." 

I know that's not how you're thinking, but that's how it's going to come across to others.

• Hello!

Thank you!!
    Being a member of a wedding party is not a job where if you please the bride or you show a lot of interest you get a promotion.  Just leave things as they are.  Giving her a "better" title doesn't mean anything.  What would mean something would be if you thanked her for her help and just continued building this wonderful friendship.

Oh and drop the "junior" title of the one BM.  I don't care if that BM is younger then the rest, she is doing the exact same thing as the rest of them meaning wearing the chosen attire and standing up with you on your wedding day.  No need to emphasize that she is young.

• This is MUD right?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Hello!

Thank you!!
    Supreme Commander?
    Most-Helpful-While-All-You-Other-Bitches-Sucked?
    Super Hero Bridesmaid?

There's no such thing as a promotion unless you are paying your BMs like hired workers. "Bridesmaid" is already guest of honor title. 

If you want to do something special for her, I would write her a heartfelt note about how much you appreciate everything she's done for you. Take her out to lunch. Treat her to a pedicure to say "thanks for helping with invitations" or whatever.
    This. And how would a special title extra-honor her? Would she wear a sign? Would the officiant announce it to guests at the start of the ceremony? "EVERYONE! Please direct your attention over to this bridesmaid! We are pleased to announce that she has been promoted to the prestigious position of Ultra Cool Super Helpful Extra-Special Bridesmaid!" 

I'd take her out to lunch or to a pedicure or something fun, just the two of you, and just tell her, "this is to say thanks for all your awesome help!"-- exactly like southernbelle said.  
  • Don't give her a "promotion."  Do something nice for her instead.

For one thing, you aren't entitled to expect "help" in planning the wedding from your bridesmaids.  And one's role in the wedding shouldn't be based on how "helpful" or not one is to the couple.

• Agreeing with PPs to just do something nice to show your appreciation. If it helps, I was a bridesmaid for a friend's wedding last year. Her MOH was too busy to plan the bachelorette and the bride asked me to help (this isn't something you should do as a bride by the way), but I was happy to help. My friend had a great time and kept telling me so. A few days after the party we went out for drinks, just the two of us, and she treated me to margaritas and told me again how appreciative she was. I was happy she was happy!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Heffalump said:
    Maybe you should offer her some sort of performance-based bonus.
    Whoever assembles the most invitations gets to pick her own dress. Whoever makes the most crafts doesn't have to wear the god-awful shoes the bride chose. Whoever does the best job at duplicating horrendous pinterest ideas doesn't have to participate in humiliating getting-ready photos....  

Watch this be the next wave or terrible trending wedding ideas. 
  • Heffalump said:
    Maybe you should offer her some sort of performance-based bonus.
    Whoever assembles the most invitations gets to pick her own dress. Whoever makes the most crafts doesn't have to wear the god-awful shoes the bride chose. Whoever does the best job at duplicating horrendous pinterest ideas doesn't have to participate in humiliating getting-ready photos....  

Watch this be the next wave or terrible trending wedding ideas. 
    But you need all of those things, or your marriage doesn't count!
  • What the heck are your bridesmaids doing 11 months before your wedding that one of them has already "distinguished" herself from the others?
  • Don't worry about titles, just let her know how much you appreciate what she is doing for you by saying thank you, maybe sending a card in the mail, and keep all she did for you in mind when getting her a gift. I wouldn't do a "title" change because just as your relationship has improved recently, it could go back to what it was by time your wedding comes around. I think it's more important to let people know that you appreciate what they do out of the goodness of their heart then to worry about a title.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards