Wedding Party

Would you want this bridesmaid gift?

I have received a tote bag and/or a robe from almost every wedding I've been in. If it wasn't a tote bag or robe, I was given jewelry to wear in the ceremony, none of which I have ever worn again. It's not that I am not grateful for those gifts. I chose to be in the weddings to support my friends, not to get a gift... and I do now have some really cute robes and bags! I just want to give my friends something different, since I'm one of the last to get married and I'm pretty sure their robe/tote bag collections are just as big as mine.

So here is my current top idea. Please give me your honest opinion on what you would think/feel if this was the gift your friend gave you for being in their wedding:
It is a nautical themed, waterfront wedding. My idea is to buy them a nice tervis cup with an anchor design or something nautical (there are a few to choose from), and then inside put a gift certificate for a manicure/pedicure at a salon where they live. I am not planning to get the cup monogrammed.

Is that ok for a bridesmaid gift? Is it enough? 

Re: Would you want this bridesmaid gift?

• My bridesmaids are getting a book/e-book off their wishlist and a Starbucks gift card. 

a) Both my BMs are huge readers (we all met at Uni studying English)
    b) Both my BMs are Starbucks addicts and will add the GC to their Gold cards.

Shop for your BMs as if it's their Birthday or Christmas. These are people that you are very close to, pick something that is useful and they will love and use.
  • If all your friends actually like tervis cups or manicure/pedicures, it's a fine gift.

But if not, I'd buy them individual gifts that are tailored to their personal interests, even if there is no other connection between them and your wedding.

• I have received a tote bag and/or a robe from almost every wedding I've been in. If it wasn't a tote bag or robe, I was given jewelry to wear in the ceremony, none of which I have ever worn again. It's not that I am not grateful for those gifts. I chose to be in the weddings to support my friends, not to get a gift... and I do now have some really cute robes and bags! I just want to give my friends something different, since I'm one of the last to get married and I'm pretty sure their robe/tote bag collections are just as big as mine.

So here is my current top idea. Please give me your honest opinion on what you would think/feel if this was the gift your friend gave you for being in their wedding:
    It is a nautical themed, waterfront wedding. My idea is to buy them a nice tervis cup with an anchor design or something nautical (there are a few to choose from), and then inside put a gift certificate for a manicure/pedicure at a salon where they live. I am not planning to get the cup monogrammed.

Is that ok for a bridesmaid gift? Is it enough? 
    Had to google tervis cup.  I don't drink out of plastic.  All my water bottles are metal, and, to be honest, I have plenty already.  And while I wouldn't mind getting a gift card to a mani/pedi place, I don't usually get my nails done since I don't have the patience for it anymore.  What I'd like if I was your bridemaid if a six pack or bomber of a delicious craft brew, or a gift card to a restaurant where I can take my FH.  Doesn't have to be a fancy place, just somewhere we can have a nice burger together.  Or something to use to fix up my new house; giftcard to Home Depot or Ikea or a gardening gift basket (seeds, gloves, hand rake in a watering can). Or a really fabulous pair of earrings. All those things would show that you really know ME and aren't just getting something easy that goes with your theme.
  • Thanks for all the help so far. I know that they all enjoy getting manicures and pedicures. The tervis cups are mainly to have a wedding-themed usable packaging, instead of just putting it on a bag. 
  • Thanks for all the help so far. I know that they all enjoy getting manicures and pedicures. The tervis cups are mainly to have a wedding-themed usable packaging, instead of just putting it on a bag. 
    If all you're doing is gifting them a mani/pedi, then you should just put the gift certificate in an envelope along with a heartfelt note.  No need to add a plastic cup I'm just going to put in my Donate to Goodwill box.
  • adk19 said:
    Thanks for all the help so far. I know that they all enjoy getting manicures and pedicures. The tervis cups are mainly to have a wedding-themed usable packaging, instead of just putting it on a bag. 
    If all you're doing is gifting them a mani/pedi, then you should just put the gift certificate in an envelope along with a heartfelt note.  No need to add a plastic cup I'm just going to put in my Donate to Goodwill box.

Boxes

DItto this especially with how much you are spending on a fancy plastic water bottle.

• Skip the cup.

Most people have more than enough of these sorts of things already (nearly every conference I attend gives away some kind of tumbler, travel mug, etc. as part of their swag).  I also had to google Tervis cup specifically and they don't look that special.  And not everything has to tie into a theme. 

Put the amount you would have spent on the cup into a higher amount for the GC so they upgrade a service (if the original amount would have only covered the bare minimum) - slap it in a card with a heartfelt thank you message and you're good to go.  Or a second GC for the amount of the cup tailored to something they like (Starbucks/Caribou for the coffee fan for example) or something edible they like (a box of truffles, a bottle of wine, favorite hard to get food or candy, etc.
  • I also think you should skip the cup.
  • jacques27 said:
    Skip the cup.

Most people have more than enough of these sorts of things already (nearly every conference I attend gives away some kind of tumbler, travel mug, etc. as part of their swag).  I also had to google Tervis cup specifically and they don't look that special.  And not everything has to tie into a theme. 

Put the amount you would have spent on the cup into a higher amount for the GC so they upgrade a service (if the original amount would have only covered the bare minimum) - slap it in a card with a heartfelt thank you message and you're good to go.  Or a second GC for the amount of the cup tailored to something they like (Starbucks/Caribou for the coffee fan for example) or something edible they like (a box of truffles, a bottle of wine, favorite hard to get food or candy, etc.
    I like this idea a lot. And I agree with PP, just skip the cup. I have tons of those things around my house. I keep giving them to Goodwill but I keep getting more from people as gifts. It's annoying. 

The cups, I think, are one of those things where the people who use stuff like that already own a bunch, and the people who don't already own one don't want one, if that makes sense. 
  • Skip the cup. Save that money and buy them lunch while you're getting ready.

I like the mani/pedi idea, but u like mani/pedis.. :) Just stick the gift cards in an envelope.
    *********************************************************************************

• LD1970LD1970 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I'm in the reverse from most; I'd use the cup, but would give away the gift cert.  I'd never go for a manicure or pedicure.  And the cup alone would honestly be kind of a crappy gift.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • I would like the gift certificate, but not the cup.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I love this idea!
    The cups sound really cute and who doesn't love a good mani/pedi
  • i would like this because I love my Tervis cups and mani/pedis BUT I would skip the cup for two reasons. 1) As you noticed from the feedback here, a lot of people don't use them and 2) Tervis cups are pretty expensive. Just put them in a bag and save the money or add it to the GC you were giving to them.

• I love this idea!
    Lots of people, including me.

• Viczaesar said:
    I love this idea!

Do I love a good mani/pedi?  Sure, occasionally, when the mood strikes.  However - if you knew me - you'd get me an Indigo gift card.  And you wouldn't get me a Tervis cup, you'd get me a funky coffee mug for my house.

I'm a fan of getting personalized gifts within a theme.  A mug and a gift card?  Sure!  The same mug and the same type of gift card?  Not as good.  I'm guilty of getting my bridemaids all the same things - but I did up a basket with scarves, coffee, tea, chocolate, wine, homemade soap, jewellery, nail polish, etc - but they were all customized to their particular tastes.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Viczaesar said:
    I love this idea!
    Yeah I know I'm definitely in the minority but I absolutely despise getting pedicures. I can't stand them. I don't know why, but it's pretty much unbearable to me. (Weird, I know). I also hate getting my nails done because they stay much healthier and grow much better without any polish or anything on them. 

So a gift card for that kind of thing would not be a nice gift for me at all. I'd probably give it away to someone else. However, you could spend 5 or $10 getting me new paintbrushes (for some projects I actually prefer the cheap ones) or something like that, that's tailored to my interests, and I would be one happy girl. 
  • I would love this as a gift as a BM. Heck I would love this gift for my birthday or even Christmas. Great gift idea!!!
  • I would get each of my BM's a personalized gift. That way they know I love them and am thankful for their support on my special day.
  • I'd love this gift. If you think your BMs would like it too then I say go for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards