Chit Chat

Shampoo

2»

Re: Shampoo

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    sheknows6 said:
    kikilamp said:
    I'm one of those people who washes her hair everyday.. especially when I work out. For those of you who have cut back on washing, do you at least get your hair wet when you shower or do you put a cap on it? If you keep it dry, what do you do after you work out? I definitely wouldn't want to keep all of that sweat build up on my head - I feel like I would break out and/or get itchy, even if I did wet it down.
    I rinse my hair with hot water if I got really sweaty and had just washed it- if I don't get super sweaty from working out I just put it up and keep it dry. There's also headbands and different up-styles to help keep your hair dry when you're getting sweaty
    I can't think of a head band or style that would keep my hair from getting sweaty during a workout.  I don't pore sweat in every workout but when I run my hair is sweaty all over, I can't imagine a band or certain hairstyle would somehow stop my head from sweating?
  • Ditto what everyone said about over-washing. I used to wash my hair 7 days a week, 365 days a year. I never skipped.

Then I moved from Florida to New York. The winters here are very cold and dry and my Psoriasis (that I have had forever) got TERRIBLE because my scalp was overly dry. So I stopped washing it every day. In the winter I can go 3 or 4 days, summers I tend to do every other. If I am just bumming around the house and not going anywhere, that can go even longer. After a particularly sweaty workout or a day in the pool, I wash.

Dry shampoo is your friend (as are ponytails and headbands!) This stuff is my jam- http://www.sephora.com/pronto-dry-shampoo-P254307?skuId=987057

I totally balked at the price at first but it last FOREVER and really works.
  • I seem to lack the skill set to make dry shampoo work. My hair always feels worse after I use it. I prefer cornstarch -
    I keep it in an ancient green Parmesan container - and sprinkle it on the roots and brush out. Baby powder works too but I don't like the smell.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • bizzy592 said:
    I take these every day:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=530029&catid=183269&aid=338666&aparam=530029&kpid=530029&CAWELAID=120142990000087143&CAGPSPN=pla&kpid=530029

And only wash my hair every other day, from the roots to my chin (never getting shampoo on the ends).
    Ok do these actually work? Someone else was telling me about these and talking them up. 

I've always taken a multi-vitamin and I'm taking prenatals now. But I've never gotten into the whole supplement thing on a very deep level, so I don't know much about it.
    I think they do. But it takes consistent use for a long time to see results - existing hair is not impacted, but new hair is. So after taking it for 6 months, you may see a significant change. Prenatal vitamins tend to encourage thicker, healthier hair as well though.
  • kvruns said:
    sheknows6 said:
    kikilamp said:
    I'm one of those people who washes her hair everyday.. especially when I work out. For those of you who have cut back on washing, do you at least get your hair wet when you shower or do you put a cap on it? If you keep it dry, what do you do after you work out? I definitely wouldn't want to keep all of that sweat build up on my head - I feel like I would break out and/or get itchy, even if I did wet it down.
    I rinse my hair with hot water if I got really sweaty and had just washed it- if I don't get super sweaty from working out I just put it up and keep it dry. There's also headbands and different up-styles to help keep your hair dry when you're getting sweaty
    I can't think of a head band or style that would keep my hair from getting sweaty during a workout.  I don't pore sweat in every workout but when I run my hair is sweaty all over, I can't imagine a band or certain hairstyle would somehow stop my head from sweating?
    BOXES

QFT. Plus most headbands don't stay on my head. I guess I have a weird head. But no matter what I'm going to sweat.
  • I try to only wash every other day, but I wash it more if I've been sweating, which I've been trying to do more of because wedding dress. Since the extra washing was making it dry, I wanted to buy some Wen, but Wen is crazy expensive. I settled on a L'Oreal knockoff for a couple bottles, but I ended up using it more as a conditioner than as a cleanser (it just isn't quite the same as Wen, boo). So from there I moved over to L'Oreal Oleo Therapy, and I kind of love it so far. I felt like my hair was greasy the first few washes with it, but then things leveled out between the increased washing and the super-moisturizing. I use the matching masque gunk once every two weeks or so (or three or four days running after coloring my hair). When I was washing my hair less, I used Herbal Essences "Hello Hydration" 2-in-1 and the matching conditioner. It is pretty okay stuff.

If you do want to wash your hair less often, dry shampoos are great. I'm using plain corn starch in an old Lush bottle right now, because Lush kept selling out the last few times I tried to buy their No Drought. Not Your Mother's Clean Freak is another good one.

If you're going to wash every day, especially if you use other styling products, I suggest using a clarifying shampoo or a mild acid rinse once a week or every two weeks (vinegar or lemon juice diluted with water). You might want to do that anyway, even if you're washing less, but personally I get less build-up when I wash less, so I only clarify once a month or six weeks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm struggling with this too. I have thick, greasy hair. I used to wash it every day...now I''m consistently washing every other day, and if I blow it out after washing I can get 3 days out of it...but it's a stretch and I need a lot of baby powder :(
  • kikilamp said:

When I shower and don't wash my hair, it's piled on the top of my head.  The bottom near the neck can get a little wet, but you can't see it once my hair is down, so a quick dry with a towel or hair dryer does the trick for me.  But it stays dry unless I want it wet cos it takes too long to do my hair.  Same for going in the hot tub.  

With workouts, my bangs get sweaty, but I'll just wash those in the sink.  Again, hair is up high and only the bottom against my neck seems to get sweaty, so a quick wipe with a towel or a damp facecloth and I'm done.  My head itself doesn't seem to sweat - just my face and neck  

• For those of you wanting to extend the length that you can go between washing your hair, I always suggest putting on dry shampoo the night before. I used to put it on the morning I was getting ready, but it made my hair feel super dry and I didn't feel like I got it properly set. I started putting it at night, letting it sit, and then ran my fingers through my hair before bed. Much more natural look in the morning with much less grease. 
  • sheknows6sheknows6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2015
    kvruns said: sheknows6 said: kikilamp said: I'm one of those people who washes her hair everyday.. especially when I work out. For those of you who have cut back on washing, do you at least get your hair wet when you shower or do you put a cap on it? If you keep it dry, what do you do after you work out? I definitely wouldn't want to keep all of that sweat build up on my head - I feel like I would break out and/or get itchy, even if I did wet it down. I rinse my hair with hot water if I got really sweaty and had just washed it- if I don't get super sweaty from working out I just put it up and keep it dry. There's also headbands and different up-styles to help keep your hair dry when you're getting sweaty I can't think of a head band or style that would keep my hair from getting sweaty during a workout.  I don't pore sweat in every workout but when I run my hair is sweaty all over, I can't imagine a band or certain hairstyle would somehow stop my head from sweating?

-----------------------------------------------------BOXES----------------------------------
    I didn't say it would stop you from sweating, I said "There's also headbands and different up-styles to
    help keep your hair dry when you're getting sweaty

If you put your hair up high on your head and use a headband around your hairline, it will help keep the sweat contained to the base of your scalp and not all through your hair. The headband will absorb a lot of the sweat along your hairline as well. That way the sweat is not soaking all the way down your hair shaft from root to tip.

Everyone is different and this is what works for me personally.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• TacoBelle2TacoBelle2 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2015
    I agree with the previous posters suggesting to wash your hair less. In addition, make sure you are getting regular trims. If you have split ends and don't have them trimmed, they will travel up the shaft and break further and further up. If you have straight hair make sure you brush your hair every day, and I'd suggest using a brush that can stimulate your scalp. 

Also, most claims that shampoos make are empty (like containing protein and being able to transfer that protein from the shampoo to your hair). Cheaper shampoos and conditioners can actually damage your hair, and contain waxes that coat your hair so if feels soft and healthy but isn't. Next time you go to he hairdresser ask them to scrape the wax off your hair so you can see it! It's crazy! Hair dressers will be able to recommend good salon quality shampoo and conditioners but will likely have to recommend whatever their salon sells. I really like Davines but you can shop around to find what you like best (most brands will sell smaller bottles so you can try them out for a week or two before spending more money for regular sized bottles). 

This is a great article about hair care myths: http://hellogiggles.com/lies-youve-believed-shampoo-conditioner/
  • I also used to wash my hair daily with cheap shampoo and conditioner until about 3 years ago when I switched to washing my hair every other day and using paul mitchell awapuhi wild ginger shampoo. My hair dresser swore by it and I decided to give it a shot. The price tag scared me a bit at first I mean I went from a $3 bottle to a $45 bottle but that $45 bottle lasts me like 6+ months so in the end it's really not a big deal at all. I could noticeably feel and see the difference in my hair after like the first month of switching. 

I still feel like my second day hair isn't the best, it's a bit greasy so I'm going to @justsie suggested about doing the dry shampoo the night before and see if that helps me a bit more. I've heard that before and just haven't tried it yet. 

Also if I have a day where I know I'm not going anywhere and am just sitting around the house I'll skip washing my hair for a 3rd day and I do feel like my hair feels better for the week or so after I do that. Though my hair looks pretty bad that day itself hence I only do it when I know I'm not leaving the house. I tend to use that day to not shower as gross as it sounds to me I feel like skipping 1 or 2 days a month of showering makes my skin feel better. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards