Attire & Accessories Forum

FH really wants a tux...

but we're getting married near the beach and the girls dresses are not going to be super formal. Would love any/all ideas.

Thanks!

Re: FH really wants a tux...

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    Is your wedding at 6:00PM or later?  Then he can wear a tuxedo, but that means that all his groomsmen must wear one, too.  If you girls' dresses are anything like cocktail attiire, it will be fine.  Long dresses aren't necessary.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We're also getting married near the beach, probably a bit before 6pm, and also not super formal (but not casual either); FI is going to wear a tux. If I am at my most dressed up ever, he feels he should also be at his most dressed up, and that a tux will look more appropriate with my dress than a suit. His best man and my dad will also wear tuxedos and they will look all look terribly handsome and it will be wonderful.

We haven't chosen the bridesmaids dresses yet, but we're mostly looking at flowy chiffon things. I consider them less formal than structured satin gowns, but they won't look out of place with the tuxedos, and might act as a sort of bridge between the beachyness and the tuxiness.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Are you wearing a long, formal gown?  Then your FH will not look odd if he wears a tux.

If what he wants to wear does not follow the "rules" or may be slightly more formal then your BM dresses is a victimless crime.  If your FH wants to wear a tux then that is what he should wear.  It is his wedding too and just like you got to pick your attire, he should be able to pick his.

• Let him wear whatever he wants. We got married in the afternoon at 12pm. My H wanted to wear a tux. On a day where I was wearing the fanciest, most expensive dress I'm ever going to wear, I was not about to tell him he couldn't wear one. 
  • I just posted this in another thread.  It is the etiquette correct formal menswear for daytime.  The cutaway should never be worn AFTER 6:00 PM.  Men look great in them.  They can be rented, just like tuxedos.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I just got back from a wedding in the groom's parent's back yard, ceremony at 5:30, and all of the guys wore a gray tux. They looked great and not out of place even though it was a more casual event IMO. I say let him wear what he wants, you will be in a wedding gown and he'll be next to you so he will not look over dressed. Honestly, a lot of people can't even tell the difference between a tux and a suit anyways. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CMGragain said:
    Is your wedding at 6:00PM or later?  Then he can wear a tuxedo, but that means that all his groomsmen must wear one, too.  If you girls' dresses are anything like cocktail attiire, it will be fine.  Long dresses aren't necessary.
    I like this idea a lot. Sounds very elegant. 
  • CMGragain said:
    I just posted this in another thread.  It is the etiquette correct formal menswear for daytime.  The cutaway should never be worn AFTER 6:00 PM.  Men look great in them.  They can be rented, just like tuxedos.

The only thing I disagree with on this, is not all men look great in these.  If you aren't pretty slender, and tall, these jackets can look pretty ridiculous.   A simple suit is much more flattering on a lot of men.

Also, I agree that wearing a tux before 6 is a victimless crime.  If he wants to wear a tux, let him.
  • CMGragain said:
    I just posted this in another thread.  It is the etiquette correct formal menswear for daytime.  The cutaway should never be worn AFTER 6:00 PM.  Men look great in them.  They can be rented, just like tuxedos.

The only thing I disagree with on this, is not all men look great in these.  If you aren't pretty slender, and tall, these jackets can look pretty ridiculous.   A simple suit is much more flattering on a lot of men.

Also, I agree that wearing a tux before 6 is a victimless crime.  If he wants to wear a tux, let him.
    Yeah, my husband would look ridiculous in that. he is 5'10" ish and a big, stocky, guy. That would make him look even shorter and very round.

• emmaaa said:
    CMGragain said:

Yeah, my husband would look ridiculous in that. he is 5'10" ish and a big, stocky, guy. That would make him look even shorter and very round.
    In another thread I said the same thing (my H has the same build as yours).  But apparently I was wrong and that ALL men look great in that outfit.  

• emmaaa said:
    CMGragain said:

In another thread I said the same thing (my H has the same build as yours).  But apparently I was wrong and that ALL men look great in that outfit.  

My FH is 5'4" and on the wider side. Paired with a top hat, he would look downright comical. 

To each their own. I see nothing wrong with a woman wearing a formal wedding gown OR a tux before 6pm.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards