Chit Chat
Options

What's for dinner?

I have a turkey tenderlion marinating right now.   I'm going to grill the turkey and some corn-on-the-cob a little later (it's only 3 here).    The leftovers will be sandwiches for the next few days.

I can't believe I'm actually getting into this meal planning thing.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: What's for dinner?

• Options
    That sounds yummy! I'm doing spaghetti because I wasn't here for father's day so I asked dad what he wanted me to cook him tonight and that was his request!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That sounds delicious. Especially the grilled corn. I adore grilled corn.

I have some homemade ricotta sauce with spinach and tomato pasta awaiting FI's arrival.

• Options
    Meal planning is the best. DH and I have noticed how much it impacts our grocery bill when we have a plan for the week.

Tonight is grilled shrimp and grilled veggies (squash, zucchini, mushrooms, and carrots). Raspberries and cool whip for dessert. I'm working on cutting carbs and sugar way down. It's hard especially when you feel like your meal isn't "complete" without some kind of carb.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Mmmm that sounds Delish @lyndausvi
    I'm trying to convince DH to go out. maybe Texas Roadhouse? But he may say we need to stay home and have lame hamburger helper.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Leftover  spaghetti. FI has a problem when making spaghetti that he makes enough to feed an army.

I'll probably grill some zuchnni and some garlic toasts to go with it.

• Options
    We had pasta and meatballs yesterday (DH took the day off).

Tomorrow I think I'm going to grill some pork or maybe steak.  I will figure out tomorrow.   Then I will grill up some squash and zucchini.   

As far as meal planning, i have a sort-of plan, but not real strict.     I have a freezer full of proteins like tuna, chicken, pork and steak.  I also have portioned out  pulled pork and then meatballs and tomato sauce that I batched cooked earlier.   

I always have some sort of rice, pasta or potato available.       I also have seasonal veggies and some frozen veggies around.    Add in various sauces and spices, well I can make dinner pretty easily.

In the morning I just decide what I'm going to cook.  Sometimes I do not decide until the afternoon.   Since it's generally just me eating I do not have to consult anyone else.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'm taking a client to dinner at what I think is one of the best Italian or just best restaurants in the Boston area. La Campania for those of you who live in the area. I'll probably get the chef's pasta tasting and the halibut. #seeyalaterweddingdiet
  • Options
    Picking up a mixed bucket of kfc fried chicken to go with homemade spiced oil to make hot fried chicken. Also making sides of mashed potatoes and gravy, corn and peas at home to go with it.

My H really wanted fried chicken last night after we got done with yard work, but had to make due with taco salad from taco leftovers because I was too tired to cook last night. This is to make up for it. Homemade fried chicken takes too long for a weeknight meal, or I would have made it myself.
  • Options
    I'm making grilled corn too!  Grilled corn is the best!

We're grilling chicken breasts marinated in olive oil, lemon, oregano, pepper, and garlic.  I have one other chicken breast leftover, so I decided to grill it too, but this one is marinated in this lime-honey marinade I found.  That one will probably be leftovers.  These are pretty large chicken breasts.

I'll roast potato pieces too.  And really, this is like the most complicated and sophisticated our meals get, haha.  A lot of nights are just tacos or spaghetti using sauce from a jar.

SaveSave
  • Options
    I am currently eating peanut butter off a dull knife.  

Dinner might be chicken on salad.  It's hot here

• Options
    cgss11cgss11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    Kale tacos (sautéed kale, yellow pepper, jaleneno, and black beans), and Mexican street corn. I made the tacos yesterday and got the corn off a cart, I only cook every other day and we have leftovers the next.
  • Options
    I randomly threw together some chicken tostadas tonight. They turned out really good! Mixed black beans with bell pepper, red onion, some salsa, salt, pepper, cilantro and lime juice. Had leftover grilled chicken from Sunday, shredded it up, added some cumin and lime juice.

Layered tostada with black beans, chicken, topped with some cheese and broiled till the cheese was melted.

Topped with avocado and some Greek yogurt. It was super easy and tasty! DS approved which made it an even bigger success!
  • Options
    Taco salad.
  • Options
    I'm by myself this week because H is out of town for a business conference. Therefore, I have to eat our entire CSA/farm share all by myself, which is a challenging task. This means I am only allowed to eat vegetables this week:

Tonight, I am having an enormous salad with mixed baby greens, arugula, radishes, garlic scapes, cheddar cheese, and croutons.

Last night I had roasted zucchini and yellow squash with leftover pulled pork from Sunday visit to a BBQ place.

Tomorrow I must use up beets (especially because I love them but my H isn't a huge fan): I'm thinking roasted beet root served on a bed of sauteed beet greens with red onions and goat cheese.
  • Options
    monkeysip said:
    I'm making grilled corn too!  Grilled corn is the best!

We're grilling chicken breasts marinated in olive oil, lemon, oregano, pepper, and garlic.  I have one other chicken breast leftover, so I decided to grill it too, but this one is marinated in this lime-honey marinade I found.  That one will probably be leftovers.  These are pretty large chicken breasts.

I'll roast potato pieces too.  And really, this is like the most complicated and sophisticated our meals get, haha.  A lot of nights are just tacos or spaghetti using sauce from a jar.
    I did mine in olive oil, lemon juice, lemon thyme (from our garden), basil (from our garden), dijon mustard, garlic, salt and pepper.

Last time I did it I got 1 dinner and 2 turkey sandwiches out of the tenderloin.  That is my goal this time too.

• Options
    Dinner? Oh, nothing special. Just cooking up a fresh, chunky tomato sauce to go with my spaghetti...
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Dinner? Oh, nothing special. Just cooking up a fresh, chunky tomato sauce to go with my spaghetti...
    Jersey tomatoes I assume.   

yep, I'm jealous.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    Jersey tomatoes I assume.   

yep, I'm jealous.

Wait, there are other kinds? ;)
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Leftovers- Whole grain pasta with chopped veggies (mushrooms, green peppers broccoli, tomatoes, jalapenos, white onions) with a Greek salad dressing, ground pepper, and some other spices. FH went nuts over it two nights in a row. 

Lynda, I used to be addicted to Allrecipes. I remember reviews like that. People are so dumb sometimes. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    That sounds delicious. Especially the grilled corn. I adore grilled corn.

I have some homemade ricotta sauce with spinach and tomato pasta awaiting FI's arrival.
    I have to know what this is!!!!!  Recipe? It sounds awesome.
  • Options
    Last night I went to FBIL's house for FI's niece's 8th birthday. They had made pork shoulder tacos that were pretty good! Topped with queso cheese, lettuce, salsa, etc. She also made rice and a corn casserole so I ate pretty well last night!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Had to post dinner since it was sooooo good. Deep fried soft shell crab was on the menu but our favorite waiter knows I like it sautéed with lemon. They lightened it up with a lemony fennel salad. All my Mass homies, check out La Campania in Waltham. They brought us surprise orecchiette w/sausage & broccoli rabe tasting & dessert to celebrate my recent nuptials.

No joke, about a half hour of our dinner convo was my CLIENT advising me on how to get pregnant. Two guys, a rough & tumble head of manufacturing and the chief medical officer of a biotech start up, who were absolutely giddy about my wedding and can't wait for us to have a baby. When I say "us" I feel like I mean me, DH, & these two b/c they were so pumped. The doctor was even telling me how to "chart". It sounds super awkward but it was actually cute. They were the ones who announced my recent wedding to our server, who brought us free chocolate soufflé :)
  • Options
    cgss11 said:
    Kale tacos (sautéed kale, yellow pepper, jaleneno, and black beans), and Mexican street corn. I made the tacos yesterday and got the corn off a cart, I only cook every other day and we have leftovers the next.
    Yum!  Where do you live where you can get corn off a cart?  I have to go deep into Queens to find the real thing!
  • Options
    "OMG - this recipe is AMAZING.  I didn't have 'x' so I used 'y'.  I didn't have 'a' so I used 'b'.  I hate 'c' so I  just omitted it altogether.   I had 'k,l and m' so I added them. I didn't bake in the oven, but sautéed.    Great recipe can't wait to try it again."

I HATE THIS^^^^   I want to know if this recipe tastes good... not if your bizarre substitutions taste good.  

SaveSave
  • Options
    Last night we had grilled chicken on a salad.

Tonight I think I'm going to make grilled chicken quesadillas.

Tomorrow night I'm making some pulled pork sliders.

Friday night we're going out for wings.

The leftover salad from last night will be lunch for a couple of days and the pulled pork will be lunch this weekend.

• Options
    cgss11cgss11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment

cgss11 said:

Yum!  Where do you live where you can get corn off a cart?  I have to go deep into Queens to find the real thing!

Boxes

I'm in Phoenix, I see a tamale lady and corn cart at least once a day.
  • Options
    Meat ball subs. Made extra balls last night when i cooked spaghetti.
  • Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    cgss11 said:
    cgss11 said:
    Boxes I'm in Phoenix, I see a tamale lady and corn cart at least once a day.
    jealous!  i'd be all over a tamale cart!!!!!!
  • Options
    kaos16 said:
    cgss11 said:
    cgss11 said:
    Boxes I'm in Phoenix, I see a tamale lady and corn cart at least once a day.
    jealous!  i'd be all over a tamale cart!!!!!!
    Oh whah-whah, I want tamales NOW. The biggest down-side to living in New England = terrible, no-good Tex-Mex food :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards