Wedding Party

Would you like this as a bridesmaid gift?

I have 3 bridesmaids and was thinking of getting each a initial necklace that they can wear for the wedding and they can wear it again, a pair of flip flops for the reception, either a Kate Spade wristlet or wallet (customize to their favorite color) and I will put their gifts in a canvas tote bag with their names on it. Do you guys think this is enough and would you like this as your gift?

Answers

• moofish27 said:

I have 3 bridesmaids and was thinking of getting each a initial necklace that they can wear for the wedding and they can wear it again, a pair of flip flops for the reception, either a Kate Spade wristlet or wallet (customize to their favorite color) and I will put their gifts in a canvas tote bag with their names on it. Do you guys think this is enough and would you like this as your gift?

Of all you listed, my preference would be the Kate Spade wristlet.  I am very picky about my wallets, they need to be able to hold all my stuff.  I am also picky about flip flops as they need to support my arches.  And I have lots of tote bags.  I also don't wear any jewelry, except for my wedding and e-ring, so I would wear the necklace for your wedding and never again.

What I suggest is getting one nice gift for each bridal party member, to their tastes.  Shop for them like its their birthday.  Gifts don't have to be the same for each person. 

Just let your BMs wear whatever jewelry they would like to or give them guidelines asking them to wear whatever silver jewelry they want to. 

• I agree with PP. I wouldn't like any of the things you offered and if your buying it for them to wear at the wedding then it isn't really a gift to them, its a gift for you so you can have them look how you want at the wedding. I'd just shop like its their birthday/christmas. Alternatively they may like a nice note that tells them how much you appreciate them, etc. Sometimes that is way better than a material thing. 
  • Honestly, no. I wouldn't like an initial necklace. And flip flops and wallets are things I like to pick out myself. I would like the canvas bag though, because I personally can never have enough. I use them all the time for camping and sailing. 
  • moofish27 said:

No, I would hate that.  I don't want an initial necklace, I don't want cheap flip flops, I have no use for a wristlet, and I don't want a tote bag with my name on it.  Most especially I wouldn't gifts that were identical to everyone else's and clearly not picked out with me as an individual in mind.

• Viczaesar said:
    moofish27 said:

No, I would hate that.  I don't want an initial necklace, I don't want cheap flip flops, I have no use for a wristlet, and I don't want a tote bag with my name on it.  Most especially I wouldn't gifts that were identical to everyone else's and clearly not picked out with me as an individual in mind.
    No.  Instead of an initial necklace, I want a fabulous pair of blinged out dangly earrings.  I don't wear plastic flip flops.  I, too, have no use for a wristlet, but I do like little zipper bags of the sort you put your shampoo and toothpaste in to travel.  And while I want nothing with my name on it, I like a good canvas bag I can use to collect acorns and raspberries in the wild.

But, if I was your bridesmaid, I'd rather get dangly earrings, a hardcover classic novel from a thrift store, and a six-pack or bomber of a local craft beer.  You get me those three things and you're obviously someone who knows me better than 90% of the people in my life.  That's the kind of thing you should be giving your bridesmaids.
  • I really don't like things with my initials or name on them, so no, I would not like the necklace or the tote. Flip flops are like $3 at Old Navy, so if I wanted flip flops for the reception I'd buy them myself. And a Kate Spade wristlet would be a nice gesture, but I have a million wristlets.

Honestly, I think you need to take a different approach to their gifts. WP gifts should be unrelated to the wedding and personalized for each person (no, the same necklace in 3 different letters doesn't really count). Like a travel coffee mug with a starbucks card for the coffee snob; a yoga mat/towel for the yogi; a mani/pedi for the pampered one; cutting board and a nice knife for the chef.... you get the idea.
    *********************************************************************************

• Since you asked, no, I wouldn't like any of those gifts.

I hate "personalized" gifts, so I wouldn't want to receive the necklace or the tote.  I also don't need flip-flops or a Kate Spade wristlet.

Drop the idea that bridesmaid gifts should be "wedding-related."  If you give them something you expect them to wear or use at your wedding, it's not a "gift."  Give them gifts that are tailored to their interests, not yours, and make them non-wedding-related.

• I would not like any of that.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • LD1970LD1970 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I honestly wouldn't. I don't/can't wear flip flops. I once got a wristlet as a gift that sat in a drawer with the tags still on for years before I finally gave it away. And I would never wear an initial necklace. The only thing I'd likely use is the canvas tote, if it was big enough to hold my beach towel, once a year when I go to my friends' pool party.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • I guess I'm the odd man out because I really liked everything on your list!  I would wear the necklace again, I live my whole life in cheap flip flops (except in the winter and even then if there's no snow on the ground!), and I would definitely use a tote bag.  The only one in there I'm unsure about is the wallet/wristlet.  I probably wouldn't use that one.  I think the other things are all nice and very useful.

I'm getting my brides people monogrammed travel mugs with their name and the wedding date.  They're all big coffee drinkers like me and I for one can never have too many travel mugs!
  • moofish27 said:

This is all such typical BM gift stuff.  Instead of all of this, stop for a moment and think about each of your friends individually.  Would you get this stuff for them for their birthday or Christmas?  Do you typically buy them presents that are exactly the same?  If you answer no to both of those questions then you need to rethink your BM gifts.  Stop thinking that these BM gifts have to be a certain way (like what you see on Pinterest or what you have seen on tvs or movies) and just focus on buying gifts for your friends.

• jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2015
    moofish27 said:

My godmother bought me an initial necklace when I was eight.  Never wore it.  Would never wear one now that I'm an adult.  If you absolute demand they wear the same (save for initial) jewelry for the wedding, then you should buy it for them, but then that's really a gift for you, not a gift for them.

I hate flip flops with a passion.  I have never known anyone to not sound like a Clydesdale when wearing them.  People who don't own them don't own them because they probably don't like them, not because flip-flops are such a scarce commodity.  People who like them, own them.  They'll either bring their own for getting ready and for after or consider doing a flip flop basket for everyone invited if you think it's that big of a deal that people will want to change into them at the reception.

Wristlet - not bad, as long as it isn't one of those one with flamingos or butterflies and you know they like that style.  Could be a little risky.  I'm not into purses at all.  I went through like a four month spurt where my friends were hassling me about purses and wallets and I managed to find some I like and now I have like 4 purses and 7 wristlets and wallets.  I'm set.  A new one isn't going to get a lot of play.  And everyone I know who is into purses/wallets is really picky - snap vs. zip? pocket for change? space for phone?  space for work keycards? how many cards does it hold? accordian style vs. book style?  Do I have to fold paper money?  Will it fit inside my purse if I decide to not carry it by itself?  I went through a bunch of them before I found ones that met all of my criteria.

Totes - everyone has totes.  Every company, every marketer, every conference gives away totes as part of their swag.  If you have my mom, you have probably have several monogrammed Lands End totes (which are really nice, but don't need more).  And don't monogram or put their name on it if you insist on still getting it.

Individualize your gifts.  Shop like you are shopping for your FRIEND, not like you're shopping for your bridesmaid.  Is it harder because you have to actually think about what your friends like and dislike?  Yup, but it's worth it.   
  • I would be hurt if I received a generic gift like that. If you don't want to get me a gift, don't. But getting something for your wedding and pretending that it was a gift for me would really hurt my feelings. You might as well tell them that their bouquets are gifts also. 

Shop for them, not for your wedding. 
  • jenna8984 said:
    I guess I'm the odd man out because I really liked everything on your list!  I would wear the necklace again, I live my whole life in cheap flip flops (except in the winter and even then if there's no snow on the ground!), and I would definitely use a tote bag.  The only one in there I'm unsure about is the wallet/wristlet.  I probably wouldn't use that one.  I think the other things are all nice and very useful.

I'm getting my brides people monogrammed travel mugs with their name and the wedding date.  They're all big coffee drinkers like me and I for one can never have too many travel mugs!

Sorry not trying to be rude, but why would I want a mug with someone else's wedding date on it? I barely want one with my own date- most definitely don't want one with your date.
    Yes! Someone gave us a wedding gift that was just a framed print of our last name and wedding date. WTF am I supposed to do with that? I know what date I got married. I don't need it printed everywhere. 

And I definitely don't need someone else's wedding date printed on stuff. 

If you walk down the glassware aisle at any Goodwill, it's packed full of wedding memorabilia with random people's names and dates on them. 
  • Jen4948 said:

Since you asked, no, I wouldn't like any of those gifts.

I hate "personalized" gifts, so I wouldn't want to receive the necklace or the tote.  I also don't need flip-flops or a Kate Spade wristlet.

Drop the idea that bridesmaid gifts should be "wedding-related."  If you give them something you expect them to wear or use at your wedding, it's not a "gift."  Give them gifts that are tailored to their interests, not yours, and make them non-wedding-related.

Exactly this. I personally hate initial necklaces, I have tons of wristlets that I don't even use (or want) and I'm very picky about wallets and shoes so I wouldn't want someone else getting those for me. As for the tote bag, I already own tons of those too, and I keep giving them away. 

Don't think of your BMs as a single unit. Think of them as individual people and shop for them accordingly. No 2 people generally like identical gifts. 
  • jenna8984 said:
    I guess I'm the odd man out because I really liked everything on your list!  I would wear the necklace again, I live my whole life in cheap flip flops (except in the winter and even then if there's no snow on the ground!), and I would definitely use a tote bag.  The only one in there I'm unsure about is the wallet/wristlet.  I probably wouldn't use that one.  I think the other things are all nice and very useful.

Sorry not trying to be rude, but why would I want a mug with someone else's wedding date on it? I barely want one with my own date- most definitely don't want one with your date.
    Yes! Someone gave us a wedding gift that was just a framed print of our last name and wedding date. WTF am I supposed to do with that? I know what date I got married. I don't need it printed everywhere. 

And I definitely don't need someone else's wedding date printed on stuff. 

If you walk down the glassware aisle at any Goodwill, it's packed full of wedding memorabilia with random people's names and dates on them. 
    Wedding, prom, and family reunion imprinted stuff.  If you're fine with everyone at Goodwill knowing your wedding date, go ahead with that gift.
  • FosmohFosmoh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
     I kind of feel like initial necklaces is a bit juvenile.  it makes me think of something that a child or teen may wear (my three year old daughter has a neckless with her initial so that may be one reason why i feel that way)

I think it's a nice gesture if it's intended for them to wear during the wedding, but i would count it as something different than an actual gift showing your appreciation for their love and support.

I really like the idea above about approaching it like their birthday and getting a personalized gift.

I'll be honest, i never really put much thought into this.  i haven't been in many wedding parties but most of the gifts i've seen have been very generic and the same for each bridesmaid.  so i thought that was pretty common place, i never really used or kept any of the gifts after and a lot i don't even remember most of what it is.  i did get a cute pair of earrings that we wore for one wedding, but they aren't really my style so i've only worn them maybe once or twice since if that.  i got flip flops before too but they were too big so i ended up just going bare foot and only wore them for photos.  i also lost them at the wedding lol. 
  • FosmohFosmoh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I also don't like the idea of having the wedding date engraved on something.
    The only thing i really feel it could be more fitting is a christmas ornament for a December wedding.  but that's my personal opinion lol. i love christmas and always have a bit of a mismatched tree with random ornaments, so i'd totally be ok with a nice ornament with someone's wedding date on it, also because it would be a reminder of a nice date FI and i had been on together you know?  but besides that, anything else with a date on it i wouldn't want, especially common place daily used items. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards