Pre-wedding Parties

Shower Question

Hello!

I am having a bridal shower this Saturday (the 27) and I am very excited! This might be a silly question but I am unsure how to go about this.

Do I send a thank you to everyone who came? Do I send a thank you to those who gave gifts? Are cards opened that came with out a present?

Thanks for any help!

Re: Shower Question

• ashncoal said:
    Hello!

I am having a bridal shower this Saturday (the 27) and I am very excited! This might be a silly question but I am unsure how to go about this.

Do I send a thank you to everyone who came? Do I send a thank you to those who gave gifts? Are cards opened that came with out a present?

Thanks for any help!
    You send thank you notes to everyone who gave a gift. The point of the shower is to give gifts, so you likely won't have many that come without a gift, but those people wouldn't need notes.

Yes open cards, but don't reveal the amount of any money or gift cards they contain. 
  • ashtsbashtsb member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5 Love Its
    Thank you! That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure as I haven't attended any showers before.
  • Thank you notes are for presents, you wouldn't send them for attendance.

The best advice I got for my shower was to open the card first and announce who the gift is from (so whoever is writing down gifts can record it, then open each gift slowly so you don't look like a toddler on Christmas morning. Take a minute to hold up the gift for people to ooo and ahhh, make eye contact with the giver and verbally thank them - maybe make a comment about how much you wanted the thing or what you plan to do with it. 

Remember that the whole point of a shower is the gift opening part, so take your time. It's not something to rush through. If you do try and rush through it, it'll come off as kind of gift grabby, KWIM?
    *********************************************************************************

• ashtsbashtsb member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5 Love Its
    Thank you notes are for presents, you wouldn't send them for attendance.

The best advice I got for my shower was to open the card first and announce who the gift is from (so whoever is writing down gifts can record it, then open each gift slowly so you don't look like a toddler on Christmas morning. Take a minute to hold up the gift for people to ooo and ahhh, make eye contact with the giver and verbally thank them - maybe make a comment about how much you wanted the thing or what you plan to do with it. 

Remember that the whole point of a shower is the gift opening part, so take your time. It's not something to rush through. If you do try and rush through it, it'll come off as kind of gift grabby, KWIM?

Thanks, I will keep this in mind! 
  • edited June 2015

This isn't always the case.  I went to a shower this weekend that was fairly large.  The bride opened the gifts very fast.  I heard many people say that actually like that and were glad they didn't have to sit through hours of gift opening.    I had a smaller shower and it took me like 15 minutes to open all the gifts.  We went super fast.   One of the guests complimented my bridesmaids on how quick and organized the gift opening went. 

When I had my shower, I noticed that most people weren't even paying that close attention.   They were talking and chatting.   The same when I went to the shower this weekend.   My gift was opened first.  I heard the bride say my name and thank you.  After that, I spent most of the gift opening time chatting with my cousin that lives out of state.  

OP, thank you cards are for people that brings gifts to the shower.  Anyone that gives a gift (cash/gift card) gets a thank you.   You can also send thank you notes to the people who helped host the shower or put it together.    

I did not open cards that came without presents.  I noticed many were gift cards and checks.   I thought it would be rude to say,  "Ohhh look a card and check for $75 from my Aunt Mary."   So, I opened the cards without gifts privately at home. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards