Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Sing-A-Long Wedding Entrance Ideas?

I need your help. I don't want a traditional wedding march down the aisle, for the processional, bride's entrance or recessional. I need some ideas. I want one or more to be a sing-a-long. The attendees singing the words during at least one. I'm thinking probably during the bride's entrance. I want the ceremony to be upbeat and joyous. And for family and friends to participate instead of just watch. But I'm drawing a blank. It would need to be something most people know the words to or most of the words, we could even have words in the program. No bad ideas, what came to my mind was Brandy You're a Fine Girl, lol.

Re: Sing-A-Long Wedding Entrance Ideas?

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015

I need your help. I don't want a traditional wedding march down the aisle, for the processional, bride's entrance or recessional. I need some ideas. I want one or more to be a sing-a-long. The attendees singing the words during at least one. I'm thinking probably during the bride's entrance. I want the ceremony to be upbeat and joyous. And for family and friends to participate instead of just watch. But I'm drawing a blank. It would need to be something most people know the words to or most of the words, we could even have words in the program. No bad ideas, what came to my mind was Brandy You're a Fine Girl, lol.
    NO, no, no, no, no!  Please do not do this!  It is tacky, cheesy, and many of your guests will feel uncomfortable doing this.  Many people do not like to sing in public.

Alternate idea:  Hire a harpist to play Celtic, happy music.  It is different, but does not require audience participation.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • You don't know my family and friends. Music, fun and irreverence are 3 of our favorite things. My friends and family would find it fun and fitting with us as a couple. I ABSOLUTELY am not having a traditional wedding and a harpist would stand out like a sore thumb. But thank you for your concern and please don't give my tacky, discomfort inducing wedding another thought.
  • I would hate this. I sing, but only in my car- so in private. I'd be mute on this one.

If your family and friends like to sing along so much, maybe ask them for ideas.
  • It's really not a good idea, though. During the bride's entrance people want to turn and watch the bride.

Asking how to do an awkward thing is going to get people telling you it's going to be awkward and uncomfortable. That's just how it is.
  • I think this would end up being really awkward.
  • I would be so uncomfortable as a guest doing this, and I would be cringing horribly if I saw anyone on YouTube doing this.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    If I were expected to sing at a wedding as a guest, I'd be very uncomfortable.  Please don't do this. 

Just because your family and friends like irreverence, singing, and fun doesn't mean they would want to do this at a wedding.
  • You don't know my family and friends. Music, fun and irreverence are 3 of our favorite things. My friends and family would find it fun and fitting with us as a couple. I ABSOLUTELY am not having a traditional wedding and a harpist would stand out like a sore thumb. But thank you for your concern and please don't give my tacky, discomfort inducing wedding another thought.

BOXES

How would that even work? I mean is your officiant going to stand up there and announce to everyone that they have to sing along and start off the song? What a mood kill, Id much rather turn around and enjoy the bride walking in than have to feel pressured to remember words to a song- or read them off a piece of paper. I want to take photos!
  • Absolutely fucking not. We ended our night standing in a circle, drunk as fuck, singing at the top of our lungs.

Because that's how you end a night. That is not how you walk down the aisle. No matter how untraditional, different and unique like everybody else you want to be. I would be so ridiculously uncomfortable.

And if you're going to use the rebuttal "you obviously don't know my friends and family..." Um. Yeah. We don't. Tell me something I don't know. What I do know is that this is an awful idea. Why not find a fun instrumental to walk to? There are plenty of alternatives to a harpist or other lame music. That alternative does not include a drum circle, hand holding and kumbaya.

Fucking Hell.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    OP, I was a professional singer and music teacher.  My daughter is a professional singer in the Washington, DC area.  I can assure you that both of us would find this sng-a-long idea extremely uncomfortable!
    We are trying to save you from a very bad idea!

How about an accordion player doing "Lady of Spain"?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2015
    I think this an awful idea.  Maybe some of your family and friends might enjoy it, but all of them?  Seriously?  And what about the ones who wouldn't?  Is this really how you want to kick off your wedding, making some of your guests feel awkward and uncomfortable?

You don't know my family and friends. Music, fun and irreverence are 3 of our favorite things. My friends and family would find it fun and fitting with us as a couple. I ABSOLUTELY am not having a traditional wedding and a harpist would stand out like a sore thumb. But thank you for your concern and please don't give my tacky, discomfort inducing wedding another thought.
    In which case, ditto @FeeleyToBe:  why don't you ask your family and friends for suggestions, if you think they'll love this so much?
  • It's really not a good idea, though. During the bride's entrance people want to turn and watch the bride.

Asking how to do an awkward thing is going to get people telling you it's going to be awkward and uncomfortable. That's just how it is.
    I agree with this, do you want people to watch you coming down the isle or reading lyrics. If you do it, it has to a song that everyone would know without having to read the lyrics.
  • This is the worst idea I have heard in a very, very long time.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Oh no no... I would lip sing - you do not want to hear my voice - its terrible! 

• I think the only time it's okay to have a group-sing at a wedding is if it's a hymn sung at a religious ceremony.  OR at the reception if, instead of the clinking of glasses, you'll kiss on demand if people sing a song containing the word "love."  I love singing.  I love irreverance.  I hate this idea.
  • adk19 said:
    I think the only time it's okay to have a group-sing at a wedding is if it's a hymn sung at a religious ceremony.  OR at the reception if, instead of the clinking of glasses, you'll kiss on demand if people sing a song containing the word "love."  I love singing.  I love irreverance.  I hate this idea.

The bolded came up at the wedding of one of my cousins.  Everyone hated it.

Just skip the songs unless they're hymns sung as part of the service.

• Heffalump said:
    I think this an awful idea.  Maybe some of your family and friends might enjoy it, but all of them?  Seriously?  And what about the ones who wouldn't?  Is this really how you want to kick off your wedding, making some of your guests feel awkward and uncomfortable?

You don't know my family and friends. Music, fun and irreverence are 3 of our favorite things. My friends and family would find it fun and fitting with us as a couple. I ABSOLUTELY am not having a traditional wedding and a harpist would stand out like a sore thumb. But thank you for your concern and please don't give my tacky, discomfort inducing wedding another thought.
    In which case, ditto @FeeleyToBe:  why don't you ask your family and friends for suggestions, if you think they'll love this so much?
    I agree with @Heffalump - DH and I recently attended a wedding where there was a sing along (it was at the start of the reception, rather than the ceremony, but the timing didn't do anything to make it less awkward). I was related to the bride - and yes, our family loves "music, fun & irreverence" as well, but it was so awkward. Very few people knew the words, very few people had even heard of the song. It was weird, it was awkward, and no one really understood the point. Please don't do this to your guests.
  • Jen4948 said:
    adk19 said:
    I think the only time it's okay to have a group-sing at a wedding is if it's a hymn sung at a religious ceremony.  OR at the reception if, instead of the clinking of glasses, you'll kiss on demand if people sing a song containing the word "love."  I love singing.  I love irreverance.  I hate this idea.

Oh, I hate it too.  But I also don't kiss on command.  I think, as the bride, if you're not completely against kissing on command, this is an okay way to do though because it's harder to get a group together to sing a song than it is for one moron to start clinking his glass with his butter knife.
  • adk19 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    adk19 said:

Oh, I hate it too.  But I also don't kiss on command.  I think, as the bride, if you're not completely against kissing on command, this is an okay way to do though because it's harder to get a group together to sing a song than it is for one moron to start clinking his glass with his butter knife.
    I don't kiss on command either.  I fucking hate that glass clinking tradition; I don't even know why I just know it's like nails on a chalk board to me. 

Fiance and I have discussed and have decided to ignore it if it happens.  Maybe people will get the hint early on and stop (if they even do it to begin with).
  • adk19 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    adk19 said:

I don't kiss on command either.  I fucking hate that glass clinking tradition; I don't even know why I just know it's like nails on a chalk board to me. 

Fiance and I have discussed and have decided to ignore it if it happens.  Maybe people will get the hint early on and stop (if they even do it to begin with).
    Oh, that's definitely my plan (to ignore it.)  If it gets annoying, I'll shut it Down.  *Clink clink*, *Clink CLINK CLINNNNNNKKKK*  Me; I'm sorry, did you want to make a toast?  Annoying Uncle; No, I want you to kiss.  You guys are supposed to kiss when we clink our glasses.  Me: Oh, sorry, you've been misinformed about me.  I don't kiss on command.  I certainly don't kiss at the sound of annoying glass clinking.  I am not Pavlov's dog. *proceed to enjoy my meal/conversation*
  • We did plastic everything in an attempt to deter it. Overall, I think we only had 2-3 groups that tried. And failed. I don't understand why people feel the need to see you kiss. Ew.

• bb2016bb2016 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    I haven't heard of this kissing on command thing. Hopefully that means no one in my group of family/friends has either! Just no.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This sounds super awkward. I mean, if it's going to be awful anyway, you may as well pick songs that are really hard to sing to....like Roxanne by the Police or Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. And if you do it, for sure post it on YouTube so we can see.
    Last week, when @rrroxanne was posting on multiple boards, every.single.time I saw her username, I heard the Police in my head.
    jacques27 said:
    Ugh.  I would hate this.  I do not sing in front of other people (except when I'm drunk and then I like to show off that I still know all the words to Shoop).

BOXES

Yes!  Also, the theme song to Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

• Heffalump said:
    This sounds super awkward. I mean, if it's going to be awful anyway, you may as well pick songs that are really hard to sing to....like Roxanne by the Police or Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. And if you do it, for sure post it on YouTube so we can see.
    Last week, when @rrroxanne was posting on multiple boards, every.single.time I saw her username, I heard the Police in my head.
    jacques27 said:
    Ugh.  I would hate this.  I do not sing in front of other people (except when I'm drunk and then I like to show off that I still know all the words to Shoop).

BOXES

Yes!  Also, the theme song to Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

You just made my Tuesday. :-)
  • bb2016 said:
    I haven't heard of this kissing on command thing. Hopefully that means no one in my group of family/friends has either! Just no.
    Consider yourself lucky. Everyone clinks their glass with a fork or something and you're supposed to kiss. The annoying thing is they do it ALL NIGHT LONG. Even when the couple is trying to eat/enjoy each other for a few minutes. The FI was just in wedding where the couple decided every time this happened they were going to call out a couple they knew to stand up and kiss. FI and I got called pretty quickly but eventually everyone let up...

We might be stealing this idea. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• bb2016 said:

Consider yourself lucky. Everyone clinks their glass with a fork or something and you're supposed to kiss. The annoying thing is they do it ALL NIGHT LONG. Even when the couple is trying to eat/enjoy each other for a few minutes. The FI was just in wedding where the couple decided every time this happened they were going to call out a couple they knew to stand up and kiss. FI and I got called pretty quickly but eventually everyone let up...

We might be stealing this idea. 

Don't steal it. Let it fall flat. If you don't like to be expected to kiss on demand, consider that most other people don't either.
  • jacques27 said:

*Guessing there aren't boxes here*

O/T but we played Shoop at our wedding specifically for my two best friends - they know every word to that song and got SUPER excited when it came on. One of my fav memories of the night.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards