Chit Chat

Another food convo: side dishes for a BBQ

My parents want to host a BBQ for the 4th but have decided it's too much work (they've been entertaining a lot lately). In order to make it happen, my sister and I/spouses are taking care of the food this year. We're up to 18 guests, including 2 vegans. It will be indoors, with cooking facilities outside. Here's the plan:

1. Smoked brisket and ribs (by DH who is excited for my dad's smoker)
2. Grilled vegan veggie burgers
3. Grilled corn on the cob
4. Mustard potato salad (my boys adore all things mayo, eggs on the side for my sister)
5. Vinegar-based coleslaw (vegan)
6. 3 bean salad (vegan)

We'll also have beer, wine, and soda. For dessert, fresh watermelon and strawberries- plus homemade chocolate chip cookies and vegan spice cookies (my only good vegan cookie recipe) if it's not too hot for me to bake.

Am I missing anything? Does this sound like enough food/options? Enough options for the vegans? Contemplating baked beans or a green salad as well but they're not as exciting as other options.

What do you think?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Another food convo: side dishes for a BBQ

• Could you maybe do some assorted grilled veggies? (Or like, veggie kabobs) We always do these with mushrooms, onion, bell peppers, zucchini and cherry tomatoes. As a meat eater, I love to have these on the side, and it would give something else for the vegan(s) to be able to eat. 

Or, a summer side I always love is caprese skewers; just do cherry tomatoes, cubed mozzarella, fresh basil leaves, and drizzle them with balsamic, salt & pepper. 

Or just a big green salad sounds good :) 
  • I make a really good fruit dip, that is perfect for strawberries :)  People ask for it all the time- and it's super easy to make:

8oz. Whipped Cream Cheese
    8oz. Marshmallow Fluff
    1-2 tsp of Vanilla Extract

Whip until nice and fluffy, and enjoy!  SO GOOD.  
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    In my family, deviled eggs and guacamole are always a staple dish to have out as an app before the meal. I like the idea of grilled veggies for a side as well (mostly because I'm not a major corn eater, especially corn on the cob cause I hate getting it in my teeth).

• I'd go w/ fruits /  veggies - grilled or otherwise.  Your meat eaters and vegans can enjoy them.  While I love both fruit dips and deviled eggs, neither of them are vegan friendly.

• I might add something like an appetizer.  Hummus and veggie or something similar.   But I think your dinner options are okay as is.  There becomes a point where there are too many options and you end up with a lot of leftovers.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Lots of ideas! Thanks!

Appetizers are a good idea. Knowing us, we'll probably do sliced veggies, hummus, and some sort of sour-cream dip.

It's funny- my family tends to hate all things mayo. DH's family loves it on absolutely everything. I tend to stray away from it with that in mind, not so much because of the vegans.

I love the idea of grilled veggies. I may also do something caprese-ish that I always do: sliced tomatoes and mozzarella drizzled with a homemade dressing that's essentially handfuls of basil blended with olive oil, balsamic, and a bit of salt.

Deviled eggs would thrill DH and his sister. I loathe them. She's offered to bring something- maybe I'll suggest that.

@scribe95- what is this broccoli salad you mention?

Fruit dip sounds interesting as well. It's never been something I've ever been interested in but it could be a great call- particularly if I skip the cookies.

Thanks!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • H's family is obsessed with BBQ... and according to them you can't have BBQ without mac & cheese. 

• I'm not vegan or even vegetarian but every time I have a BBQ I love throwing some corn in the cob on the BBQ as well.

If you like sweet and sour, I LOVE green apple, celery, hearts of palm (optional) and avocado salad with lemon juice. For a non vegan version you can add mayo and prawns. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards