Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Phrasing this thank-you?

primafaba15primafaba15 member
5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited June 2015 in Registry and Gift Forum
We just received a gift (a check) from a friend who was not invited to our upcoming wedding.  I feel somewhat bad as she invited both of us to her wedding last year  and we attended.  This came a few days after the thank-you from her baby shower (I didn't attend, but sent a gift) in which she asked when the big day was coming up, so I'm not sure if she expected to be invited. 

We decided not to include her because (1) we're not terribly close, I was somewhat surprised to receive her wedding and shower invites; (2) we've had almost no contact since her wedding last year; and (3) we're keeping our wedding very small (we're expecting around 70; hers was about 300 people). 

I know I need to get a thank you out straight away -- is it appropriate/necessary to  mention something about the wedding? Apologize, explain we are having a very small wedding, something along those lines? Or can I avoid mentioning the issue? 

ETA: Her due date is also within a week of the wedding, and she would have to travel a long distance, so we thought probably she wouldn't be able to attend anyway, but it's hard to know...

Re: Phrasing this thank-you?

• Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    No, don't mention the wedding or offer explanations. ust thank her for her generous gift and that you will think of her when you use the ___ you intend to use it toward.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    edited June 2015

AddieCake said:
    No, don't mention the wedding or offer explanations. ust thank her for her generous gift and that you will think of her when you use the ___ you intend to use it toward.
    This
  • Options
    We just received a gift (a check) from a friend who was not invited to our upcoming wedding.  I feel somewhat bad as she invited both of us to her wedding last year  and we attended.  This came a few days after the thank-you from her baby shower (I didn't attend, but sent a gift) in which she asked when the big day was coming up, so I'm not sure if she expected to be invited. 

We decided not to include her because (1) we're not terribly close, I was somewhat surprised to receive her wedding and shower invites; (2) we've had almost no contact since her wedding last year; and (3) we're keeping our wedding very small (we're expecting around 70; hers was about 300 people). 

I know I need to get a thank you out straight away -- is it appropriate/necessary to  mention something about the wedding? Apologize, explain we are having a very small wedding, something along those lines? Or can I avoid mentioning the issue? 

ETA: Her due date is also within a week of the wedding, and she would have to travel a long distance, so we thought probably she wouldn't be able to attend anyway, but it's hard to know...
    Thank you so much for the gift.  It was wonderful of you to think of us!  I'm very excited to use the money to buy some new fluffy towels I just found.  Thanks again.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Just wanted to be sure I wasn't obligated to explain myself here. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards