Chit Chat

"I Don't Remember the Wedding" - PPD?

loveislouderloveislouder member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited June 2015 in Chit Chat
So I was pursuing Go Fund Me (I do that for fun sometimes) and came across this story:

The couple got married, had a beautiful wedding, blah blah blah. 19 days later the new wife gets rear ended at a dead stop at 50 mph. She's alive, but has no memory for 5 weeks before the accident, including not remembering the wedding.

Their GFM is set up with a goal of $5,000.00 in hopes that they can re-create their wedding so the Wife will have memory of it.

So what say yee, Knotties? Is this a dreaded PPD? Is this GFM tacky? 

Re: "I Don't Remember the Wedding" - PPD?

• Eh, I don't have a problem with this, especially because they are only asking for $5,000 so they are obviously not putting on some extravagant gala. 

I can see how someone would have a problem with this because as we always said, to have a wedding all you really need is money for the license at the courthouse and that's what counts, but to me personally I would donate to something like this for someone I knew.
  • novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    Well yeah, I'd say it's a PPD. I mean, they're still legally married. It's obviously really sad that the wife had to go through that but the accident didn't make their marriage not valid. Although I definitely wouldn't side-eye this GFM as hard as others, I still side-eye it because I hate GFM in general. 

ETF used the wrong word 
  • MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    I probably wouldn't judge the PPD, since they obviously wouldn't be lying to anyone. 

I still judge the hell out of GFM for this. If you want to recreate your wedding so that you have a substitute memory of it, you can pay for it yourself.

ETA: But I usually judge most GFMs. Why does the internet turn everyone into a charity?
  • What the hell? No. 

What a stupid excuse. So what if she delivered a baby? Or graduated college? Or went to her grandma's funeral? Or threw her kid a birthday party? Or went to Disney World? Would she set up a GFM so she could do these things over again? 

Pictures and a marriage certificate should be enough to prove it happened. I hope she raises $0. 

ALL. OF. THIS. 

• Whose to say she also won't recover those memories?  Sometimes it can take a while to get your memories back.

• What the hell? No. 

What a stupid excuse. So what if she delivered a baby? Or graduated college? Or went to her grandma's funeral? Or threw her kid a birthday party? Or went to Disney World? Would she set up a GFM so she could do these things over again? 

Pictures and a marriage certificate should be enough to prove it happened. I hope she raises $0. 
    They've raised $2,355.00 of their $5,000.00.
  • Smell is the strongest sense tied to memory. Someone give that girl her wedding flowers and her perfume.
  • Getting in a terrible accident and losing your memory is tragic.  And your solution is to have a do-over wedding?  WHAT?  Seems like a lack of priorities.  If I survived a bad accident and was suffering memory loss, I have a hard time thinking my big desire would be to do my wedding over.  How about be grateful for your life, your marriage, and your future together.  Enjoy every second, yada yada.  

SaveSave
  • Smell is the strongest sense tied to memory. Someone give that girl her wedding flowers and her perfume.

And I smell something fishy. I don't buy it.
  • monkeysip said:
    Getting in a terrible accident and losing your memory is tragic.  And your solution is to have a do-over wedding?  WHAT?  Seems like a lack of priorities.  If I survived a bad accident and was suffering memory loss, I have a hard time thinking my big desire would be to do my wedding over.  How about be grateful for your life, your marriage, and your future together.  Enjoy every second, yada yada.  

QFT.
  • I try not to judge people with how they want to spend their money. But once you start crowd funding it, I start to judge.

I think the idea itself is absolutely ridiculous but asking total strangers to pay for it is even worse. If this woman thinks that it is somehow going to help her healing, while I think it is odd, I say go for it. On your own dime.
  • I'm most curious what they plan to do with this money. Are they going to put on her dress, rent another tux, and have their hired officiant recreate their ceremony? What are they doing that costs all that money?

I also think it's probably not going to be that helpful. She is going to know it's not her real wedding, so she'll have memories of a fake wedding and people pretending for her benefit. That doesn't sound the same at all to me. She'll still know she doesn't remember her actual wedding. It won't make that hole in her memory fill.
  • Whaaaaaat.

I lost about a day and a half of my memory from a horseback riding accident, so I can vouch that it's seriously the weirdest feeling in the world and over ten years later I still have no memory of what happened (though I have been told, and re-created false "memories".)That being said, I don't think recreating her wedding is that important...I mean, I guess it's not my place to say how they spend THEIR money, but they should not be ASKING for money. That's just shit-tastic. 

Plus, after you've had a brain injury, shit is generally screwed up for a while. They should focus on their future and being healthy and happy, as PPs have said.
  • I found the Go Fund Me and they're asking for enough money to "do this comfortably". He is also saying to let him know if you'd like an invitation so they can make a guest list. The reception has a limit on how many people can come, but the ceremony can have as many people as they want. So he's good with tiering. Fun.

Although I am going to note that their one year anniversary is in August. So it has been a while since she got in the accident
  • I can understand wanting to renew your vows with your spouse in this situation, but a whole do over wedding? Nope. I'd go somewhere special and do it in private. That way I'm making a new, special memory, not pretending to redo something I already did. That just seems silly.
  • Ridiculous. Have a private ceremony if it means that much, not beg for money and have a much larger event. Really shitty situation but no way would I donate to something like that.

Eyerolling at the tiered event too.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My H doesn't remember the latter part of our reception (thank you Grey Goose) so does that mean we get a do-over?

I think this couple should just be happy that she survived the accident and move on with their married lives.

Break out the pictures and video, the left over cake and toasting flutes and have a nice evening home telling your wife about the wonderful wedding that you two had.

• Obviously I'm no doctor but it would be sad if they spent all that money on a re do if she ended up recovering her memories down the road. I have no idea if that is a possibility, clearly.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Obviously I'm no doctor but it would be sad if they spent all that money on a re do if she ended up recovering her memories down the road. I have no idea if that is a possibility, clearly.
    It's highly unlikely, but yeah. It's a waste of money.
  • I could really care less what the couple does but the GFM is annoying... When will people just learn to work and pay for the things they want themselves? The world seems to be going in the opposite direction of that. 

What annoys and disgusts me about this is how everyone but this board seems to be taking it. I saw it on my fb feed this morning with people aww-ing it and saying how sweet and romantic it is. 

I feel like if this happens to me maybe my fiance and I would renew our vows but probably we'll just watch our wedding video and look at wedding pictures. This story should instead be used as major advertising for people on the fence of getting a videographer... They all have that "my biggest regret" section on their websites and this should be the first bullet with the caption "A lot cheaper than paying for a second wedding"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I could really care less what the couple does but the GFM is annoying... When will people just learn to work and pay for the things they want themselves? The world seems to be going in the opposite direction of that. 

What annoys and disgusts me about this is how everyone but this board seems to be taking it. I saw it on my fb feed this morning with people aww-ing it and saying how sweet and romantic it is. 

I feel like if this happens to me maybe my fiance and I would renew our vows but probably we'll just watch our wedding video and look at wedding pictures. This story should instead be used as major advertising for people on the fence of getting a videographer... They all have that "my biggest regret" section on their websites and this should be the first bullet with the caption "A lot cheaper than paying for a second wedding"
    I didn't have a videographer, no regrets.     My wedding is not the be all end all experience of my life.   I've had a lot of amazing experiences in my lifetime.  None of which were videographed.  

I'm sure I would be sad not to remember the moment DH and I got married, but we can still do a simple vow renewal between us.  We do not have to have a wedding re-do.  

IDK, a re-do wedding puts too much emphasis on the party to me. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Also... the sister of the Charleston shooter set up a GFM as well because they couldn't get married because her brother screwed it up. They just took it down apparently. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards