Chit Chat

Re: Kindergarten Application Question

• Wtf....I don't really see how that is any of the school's business.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • That was on The Today Show yesterday.  Everyone was was like :

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • WTF?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I really just want to understand how the school says this has been on the app for TWENTY YEARS and no one noticed until now???

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• sheknows6 said:
    I really just want to understand how the school says this has been on the app for TWENTY YEARS and no one noticed until now???
    Holy. . . Mother of. . .

Dafuq?  To all of it- Dafuq?!

What if you used a surrogate?  That would be my answer, "Surrogate."  Or "Not sure, stole Devon from the hospital."
    For. The. Win.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• sheknows6 said:
    sheknows6 said:
    I really just want to understand how the school says this has been on the app for TWENTY YEARS and no one noticed until now???
    Holy. . . Mother of. . .

What if you used a surrogate?  That would be my answer, "Surrogate."  Or "Not sure, stole Devon from the hospital."
    For. The. Win.
    Are you my mother?!
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    I can explain the theory.  My son was born caesarian, and shortly afterwards he developed breathing difficulties.  It was a pneumo-thorax condition, which collapsed his lungs and his heart was pushed over to the other side of his body.  Very painful!  The neo-natologist on staff quickly inserted a hollow needle to drain the air pocket, and that solved the immediate problem.
    Fast forward seven years.  My son is diagnosed with severe ADD, combined with a very high IQ.  The thought is that this condition may have been caused by the birth trauma, since ADD is not in my family.  ADD is a very mild form of brain damage.  I spent the next 11 years with therapists and psychiatrists, and he is doing very well.  He is 33 years old and works as a computer software engineer.  His social life could be better.
    The question is designed to help spot children like my son.  The public school did not pick up on my son's problems.  They thought it was a behavior issue, or laziness.  I had him tested privately.  While I was sad that my son would have a tough road to travel in life, I was also relieved that I wasn't the BAD PARENT!
    The schools are much more aware about these developmental issues than they were back then, and they are actively trying to help families identify these problems.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:

I can explain the theory.  My son was born caesarian, and shortly afterwards he developed breathing difficulties.  It was a pneumo-thorax condition, which collapsed his lungs and his heart was pushed over to the other side of his body.  Very painful!  The neo-natologist on staff quickly inserted a hollow needle to drain the air pocket, and that solved the immediate problem.
    Fast forward seven years.  My son is diagnosed with severe ADD, combined with a very high IQ.  The thought is that this condition may have been caused by the birth trauma, since ADD is not in my family.  ADD is a very mild form of brain damage.  I spent the next 11 years with therapists and psychiatrists, and he is doing very well.  He is 33 years old and works as a computer software engineer.  His social life could be better.
    The question is designed to help spot children like my son.  The public school did not pick up on my son's problems.  They thought it was a behavior issue, or laziness.  I had him tested privately.  While I was sad that my son would have a tough road to travel in life, I was also relieved that I wasn't the BAD PARENT!
    The schools are much more aware about these developmental issues than they were back then, and they are actively trying to help families identify these problems.

It's still not appropriate for the school to demand that information on an application. It's only relevant if the kid actually has problems in class, and only if those problems might be the result of a birth issue, which should be determined by doctors. Otherwise, that really is personal information that is none of the school's business.
  • I've heard about this question(s) before. Not sure why the school would need that information, and just having a C section does not mean your child has any problems or will have any problems. Mom might just have been too small, or didn't progress or any number of reasons that have nothing to do with the development of the child. 

Also pretty sure that is medical information of the mother, which is none of their business. I would just leave it blank, and if someone persisted, than I would cause a stink.

• abcdevonn said:
    sheknows6 said:
    sheknows6 said:
    Holy. . . Mother of. . .

For. The. Win.
    Are you my mother?!
    So this is really awkward. . .

:-P

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• CMGragain said:
    Has he ever been evaluated for autism?  Asperger's seems to have very similar symptoms. . .

Just asking a parent if their child has had a Vag Delivery or a C Section when they apply to the school isn't going to reveal whether or not a child has a developmental issue. . . you have to watch for the warning signs in their behavior and mental abilities.  So asking that question w/o ever seeing the child is very intrusive and pointless to me. 

Also, there isn't always a direct coorelation between birth method and developmental issues. I'd say that's pretty rare, actually.   It's typically genetic, and I don't mean that it runs in the family, I mean that there's a fuck up somewhere genetically with the expression of a gene or set of genes.  Whether we have been able to identify the exact genetic issue yet is another story, but I think most diseases/issues lead back to problems and abnormalities at the molecular level.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• CMGragain said:
    Has he ever been evaluated for autism?  Asperger's seems to have very similar symptoms. . .

Just asking a parent if their child has had a Vag Delivery or a C Section when they apply to the school isn't going to reveal whether or not a child has a developmental issue. . . you have to watch for the warning signs in their behavior and mental abilities.  So asking that question w/o ever seeing the child is very intrusive and pointless to me. 

Also, there isn't always a direct coorelation between birth method and developmental issues. I'd say that's pretty rare, actually.   It's typically genetic, and I don't mean that it runs in the family, I mean that there's a fuck up somewhere genetically with the expression of a gene or set of genes.  Whether we have been able to identify the exact genetic issue yet is another story, but I think most diseases/issues lead back to problems and abnormalities at the molecular level.
    He has been under psychiatric care since the age of 7.  He is now 33, employed as a computer software engineer for a defense department contractor. and doing well.  He takes several medications, but I have been out of the loop since he turned 18.  No, he doesn't have Asberger's or autism.  He does have facial ticks (Tourette's).  His ticks used to be much, much worse as a child.  We are very lucky.  His very high IQ has helped him, but he gets very frustrated when he can't focus on things.  He has learned so much with therapy over the years.  Thank God for modern medicine!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Some studies also showed emotional attachment issues to children born by c section as years ago the mom was knocked out and immediate bonding was not possible.

But since hospitals in CT have some of the worst c section rates (Hartford Hospital nearing 40%) yeah that's BS.
  • I have to agree with everyone else on this one...the method of delivery is not relevant when applying to Kindergarten

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards