Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Rude to ask for image?

I was wondering if it would be appropriate to ask my photographer to send an image to me that I can use to order thank yous? 

It will be 4 weeks since our wedding, and I have seen one image for a sneak peak, but everyone has seen that so I'd rather use a different one. The only reason I'm really in a "rush" for the image is that I'd like to work on thank yous while I'm still on summer break. 

Typically the photographer was taking 2 weeks to get full sneak peaks up on her blog, but I know she had a personal vacation, and of course the holiday weekend in there. So I'm not really in any rush for any but one for thank yous, but if it would be perceived rude, I won't ask. 

Re: Rude to ask for image?

• cgss11 said:
    I was wondering if it would be appropriate to ask my photographer to send an image to me that I can use to order thank yous? 

It will be 4 weeks since our wedding, and I have seen one image for a sneak peak, but everyone has seen that so I'd rather use a different one. The only reason I'm really in a "rush" for the image is that I'd like to work on thank yous while I'm still on summer break. 

Typically the photographer was taking 2 weeks to get full sneak peaks up on her blog, but I know she had a personal vacation, and of course the holiday weekend in there. So I'm not really in any rush for any but one for thank yous, but if it would be perceived rude, I won't ask. 

You've been married for a month and haven't even ordered Thank You cards yet? Forget the photo, buy some thank you cards from Target or whatever, and start writing. Like, now. 
  • cgss11cgss11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    Seriously? I've always heard you have 3 months from the wedding. They will be absolutely get done, I can knock them out in a day or two once I get the cards.

I'd like to have picture ones because we had a small wedding out of state from most of our family. Most still sent gifts, so I'd like them to see a picture at least. I may get some regular ones for those that were at the wedding, those I could do now at least. 
  • Yes, seriously. Thank you cards should be sent as soon as the item was received.
  • cgss11cgss11 member
    Well that ship has sailed anyways, since I went on a honeymoon right after, so people can wait another month.
  • cgss11 said:
    Well that ship has sailed anyways, since I went on a honeymoon right after, so people can wait another month.
    Yeah, that is the right attitude to have.  Or not.

I went on a HM right after our wedding as well.  But you can bet your butt that when I got back I got those thank you notes written and out in the mail within a week of my return.

This may come as a shock, but people don't care if you have a wedding picture or not on the TY card.  What they care about is actually receiving a TY in a timely manner.

• cgss11 said:
    Seriously? I've always heard you have 3 months from the wedding. They will be absolutely get done, I can knock them out in a day or two once I get the cards.

I'd like to have picture ones because we had a small wedding out of state from most of our family. Most still sent gifts, so I'd like them to see a picture at least. I may get some regular ones for those that were at the wedding, those I could do now at least. 
    Do these people have FB?  Are you friends with them on FB if they do?  I am sure they will see pictures eventually.  You could always include a picture or two in a Christmas card.  But TY notes need to be sent out ASAP.

• I would rather a TY close after an event, then one 3 months later with a picture that will most likely get trashed anyway.

Oh and since I was at your wedding, there is a good chance I already have a picture of you from the wedding.

Just my own opinion.

Now to the question:   I do not think it's rude, but I'm not sure they will give you one either.    The day after my wedding I had hundreds of pictures from family and friends.   I could have easily used one of those for a TY.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • cgss11 said:

You heard wrong. If they didn't attend the wedding, they probably sent gifts BEFORE the wedding...in which case, your thank you notes also should have been sent before the wedding. Forget the photo.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• You have two choices

1. Ask photographer for image and put an order for thank you cards & get them out immediately when you receive them
    2. Go to the dollar store or another store & get thank you cards

To be blunt, the people who are getting thank you cards saw you on your wedding day. When they get your personalized thank you card, they are going to go, cute & then into the trash it will go. Save yourself the money on doing the photo thank you cards & get some generic ones from the store. All the guests care about with thank you cards is that they got one. I know for us, I saved over $1.00 per thank you card doing generic and in the end that was about $100. Which many people may seem like, that's nothing, but to me, it wasn't worth it knowing people weren't going to keep them.

• You already have a lovely photo - you posted it in your "AW" recap thread. Use that photo. Maybe you forgot about it. It is gorgeous and will suit your needs. I would go to the one hour photo and just stick one in each thank you note, not sense is delaying sending them waiting for custom cards.

You also asked in a previous thread about writing thank you notes and you were given the correct advice that thank you notes should be sent immediately. You've been around long enough to not pull this "I didn't know" line.

• You already have a lovely photo - you posted it in your "AW" recap thread. Use that photo. Maybe you forgot about it. It is gorgeous and will suit your needs. I would go to the one hour photo and just stick one in each thank you note, not sense is delaying sending them waiting for custom cards.

You also asked in a previous thread about writing thank you notes and you were given the correct advice that thank you notes should be sent immediately. You've been around long enough to not pull this "I didn't know" line.

Silly, back then she was asking about shower gifts. Now she's asking about wedding gifts. Too completely different things, obviously
  • cgss11cgss11 member
    The gift before was a wedding gift, just sent extremely early, even way early for the shower, and I sent that card right away. I never would have expected or anticipated to receive a gift *that* early and was unsure of etiquette.

Problem has been solved though, I emailed the photographer and she sent me an image right over (along with a few more sneak peaks!), so I got them ordered and they will be done by next week, so just a mere 35 days or so from the wedding.

As for "not knowing this" my question was if it was rude to ask the photographer, not when thank yous are due.
  • Didn't you just say you thought you had three months? Doesn't that count as "not knowing"?
  • Didn't you just say you thought you had three months? Doesn't that count as "not knowing"?
    That is the advice given in multiple places. This may come as a shock to most of you, but what some posters here think is not the be-all-end-all of wedding etiquette. In fact, most of it is refuted on 99% of other forums and websites.

That is the advice given in multiple places. This may come as a shock to most of you, but what some posters here think is not the be-all-end-all of wedding etiquette. In fact, most of it is refuted on 99% of other forums and websites.

Lol :trollface: bye

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards