Chit Chat

S/O Personal Security

So another thread had me thinking about precautions people take to secure their stuff.

Also, my in-laws just visited and they are OBSESSED with home security. Think every light on a daily timer, fake tv lights in upper bedroom windows, turning on music when they go to the grocery store, 2 big dogs who more or less live in the backyard, all window treatments completely closed all the time (house is like a cave), motion lights with cameras double locks on the doors, etc. They've talked about getting a gun to keep in their bedside table. Obviously loaded. (Super pumped about sending grandkids there now......) They freaked out when I left my purse at our Wendy's table to go grab a fork that was about 15 feet away. It's super crazy.... to me anyway. 

DH and I lock the doors when we leave and we lock our cars when we walk away from them. Most of the time. If we aren't going to be home for a week, we'll put a couple of lights on timers and stop our mail. Outside of that, we don't really do anything.

What do you do?
*********************************************************************************

Re: S/O Personal Security

• We have an alarm system, but I also grew up with one, so I was used to it.  We make sure doors are locked when we leave (including from the garage to the house), but if I'm home, before AC, doors would be wide open all the time in the summer.  Anyone could walk right in.  I was a prime candidate for home invasion. 

If I'm stepping a couple of feet away, I'll leave my wallet in a cart/on a table, but I take it with me past that.  I don't have a purse, so I also don't carry stuff on my person for my safety (gun, mace, etc.), though pretty much all of that is illegal to have here anyway.  

• We don't have an alarm system (aside from our pit mix). We do keep all doors locked, have motion lights and security cameras. 

We always lock our cars. I never leave my purse. I've had my purse stolen in bars a few times because I was drunk and walked away. So yeah, phone and purse stay with me always. When traveling, I do wear a cross body bag and never put anything in my pockets. 
  • I lock all the doors and the ground floor windows at night and when we're gone. I have a lady that looks after the cat when we're out of town who'll get the mail and switch around some lights. The porch light is on a timer regardless.

But apparently we're not that good at any of this. I got drunk on Saturday night and went to sleep with the garage door wide open. 

I'm much more concerned with personal security when I'm away from the house. I'm very paranoid about walking alone at night, especially in the parking garage. I sometimes carry pepper spray if I know I won't be able to walk with someone. I never leave my car unlocked, except in the garage at home. My sister will just leave her car unlocked in the parking lot while she's in a store. It freaks me out that some murderer is going to climb into her back seat while she's in Target.

• edited July 2015
    H is pretty concerned about security. We have a loaded gun and all the doors are always locked - whether we're home or not. One of the reasons he wanted a big mean dog was to protect us (primarily me) and while she's a sweetheart, she's scary looking and I'd be willing to bet she's kick ass if she really felt like she needed to. The cars are always locked and nothing is stored in them. I keep good track of my purse and other things when we're out. 

So I'd say we're pretty average; we're not super nutbags like your in-laws, OP, nor do we not care at all. 

Edited for typo.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I have an alarm system, but its a little useless because we can't have our motion detectors on - our cats set them off. So it's basically there in case someone opens a door or breaks a window.

My car locks didn't work for about a month before I could afford to fix them so I made sure not to leave anything important in the car.

If I get a new credit/debit I shred the old one... that's about it.
  • We lock the apartment.  H locks his car.  That's it.

I have a manual locks in my car (groaaaaannnn) so I don't ever leave anything of value in it and leave it unlocked.  It's also a manual transmission, so I'm not *super* worried about it getting stolen.  And it's bright blue.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Doors locked at all times, even when we are home. We didn't use to do this but then there was a rash of incidents of drunk people letting themselves into unlocked home when people were home so now we just got into the habit of locking the door behind us.

We close the ground level curtains at night so no one can peer in. Cars always locked.

When we go away for an extended period of time we get someone to stop by the house every couple days so that there is still a presence at the house. (Parents neighbours out in the country got robbed when they were on vacation and it had snowed so it was very obvious no one had been home for days. My parents now take the effort to have someone come out to there place if it snows heavily to leave tire tracks in the driveway)

On vacation we make use of the safe in the hotel rooms and only take with us what we need for the day. 

FI has a crowbar under the bed lol. For 'security purposes'
  • We don't have an alarm system cuz we rent. But if we're gone for a week or more, we put a few lights on timers, hold our mail, and maybe have someone come by just to check on things. 

On a regular basis, big dog is home and he's extremely loud and intimidating anytime someone comes within 100 feet of our house (beagle is loud too but she's not so intimidating) so I don't really worry about it. We just keep the doors locked and sometimes leave the outside lights on. 

I get paranoid, though, when H is out of town overnight. I watch way too many forensic shows and I become convinced that someone's watching me and is gonna sneak in through a window or something. Or if I turn the lights out, a ghost will get me. I also watch too many horror movies. Plus I'm a chicken. 
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    We keep the doors locked....and that's it. We have a garage so I don't lock my car at night ever since it stays parked inside. I would never ever keep a loaded gun in the house tbh. We do have a shotgun that lives in our closet....but we don't keep the shells in it or anywhere near it...and honestly we should probably get a gun safe. My sister is having a baby soon and I don't want to worry about it even being within my future niece's ability to get to when she gets older and can move around.

Our dog is a barker too. We didn't get her for that purpose and we discourage her from barking because it's loud and obnxious....but her bark sounds pretty loud and viscous for a 50 lb. dog so I suppose it'd scare off someone who wasn't very determined.

• We live in a 2nd floor apartment, intentionally for security reasons, so we don't need to worry about people lurking outside.  Plus, we figure that if someone is going to break in, they are much more likely to break into a ground floor apartment because it's easier to get in and more escape routes if needed.  We keep our front door locked, even when we are home.  The only time it's unlocked is when we are walking the dogs, which takes 10-15 minutes (4 times per day).  Our back doors onto our balcony are always unlocked. But, it would require a ladder to access it and that side of our apartment faces the main office and a large public area, so it's highly unlikely that anyone would pick the most visible spot in the complex to do that.

If someone were to be unfortunate enough to break in while we are home, we do have firearms in the home that would be easily accessible to us.

When we leave town, we do put a couple of lights on timers.  And we have a tv on a timer, so it turns on in evening and off at bedtime.

Cars are always locked.

My purse stays with me at all times.  Even if I go out to eat with DH, I'll take my purse to restroom with me because I don't trust anyone else to watch it as closely as I do.

• Doors locked at all times, even when we are home. We didn't use to do this but then there was a rash of incidents of drunk people letting themselves into unlocked home when people were home so now we just got into the habit of locking the door behind us.

We close the ground level curtains at night so no one can peer in. Cars always locked.

When we go away for an extended period of time we get someone to stop by the house every couple days so that there is still a presence at the house. (Parents neighbours out in the country got robbed when they were on vacation and it had snowed so it was very obvious no one had been home for days. My parents now take the effort to have someone come out to there place if it snows heavily to leave tire tracks in the driveway)

On vacation we make use of the safe in the hotel rooms and only take with us what we need for the day. 

LOL we have this semi truck tire checker bat thing under the bed. Totally necessary.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

LOL we have this semi truck tire checker bat thing under the bed. Totally necessary.
    We have a baseball bat. 
  • The doors are mostly locked at all times. Although if I'm out walking the dogs, even walking over a mile away, I rarely lock the door.  

I mostly lock my car door.

I shred credit/debit cards, the convenient checks form the cc companies and most things with our person information.    

I do not follow a schedule per se.   Meaning the dogs go out between 6:30-9 am.   The bulldog goes out again sometime mid-morning, but not always.  I tend to take the rescue out after work, but that varies. Evening and last one of the night walks of the night varies.   I do not always follow the same route when walking either of them.

There is little to no crime where I live.   The 2nd in command at the police department lives a few houses down (townhouse).  His patrol car  is outside in the parking almost all day.   Unless someone knew them personally, I'm not sure you would know which townhouse is his. 

I also work from home.  My office is on the ground floor. My office window overlooks the bike/walk path.  I would be *that* neighbor who would notice something out of place and report something.  Not that I've had to, but I would.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    The doors are mostly locked at all times. Although if I'm out walking the dogs, even walking over a mile away, I rarely lock the door.  

I shred credit/debit cards, the convenient checks form the cc companies and most things with our person information.    

I do not follow a schedule per se.   Meaning the dogs go out between 6:30-9 am.   The bulldog goes out again sometime mid-morning, but not always.  I tend to take the rescue out after work, but that varies. Evening and last one of the night walks of the night varies.   I do not always follow the same route when walking either of them.

There is little to no crime where I live.   The 2nd in command at the police department lives a few houses down (townhouse).  His patrol car  is outside in the parking almost all day.   Unless someone knew them personally, I'm not sure you would know which townhouse is his. 

I also work from home.  My office is on the ground floor. My office window overlooks the bike/walk path.  I would be *that* neighbor who would notice something out of place and report something.  Not that I've had to, but I would.

Bolded: me too!  Our apartment is on the ground floor and our living room has sliding glass doors that overlooks the parking lot.  H teases me of being the nosy old lady watching everybody come and go.  :)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• twoleighs said:
    lyndausvi said:
    The doors are mostly locked at all times. Although if I'm out walking the dogs, even walking over a mile away, I rarely lock the door.  

Bolded: me too!  Our apartment is on the ground floor and our living room has sliding glass doors that overlooks the parking lot.  H teases me of being the nosy old lady watching everybody come and go.  :)

I swear I'm not that nosey, but yeah I do notice everyone who walks their dogs.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Know what's  funny.   If I'm home DH leaves the bedroom door open all night.  If I'm OOT, he shuts the bedroom door and locks it.  Even makes the rescue stay in the room.  Normally the rescue goes between "his" bedroom and our room.  

I'm guessing I'm the protector of the family.   LOL

• Oh I'm super fucking nosy. When we lived in the apartment, I was constantly looking out the windows and seeing what everyone was doing. Now we live right next door to the house I grew up in so I know the neighborhood and it hasn't changed since I was a kid. I still nose around but there's much less going on here. 
  • We lock and deadbolt the doors, also have a security bar for the sliding doors to the porch, and now we also have to keep our key fobs in the freezer. 

Our keyless entry cars were broken into a couple weeks ago in our driveway. Apparently, there is a device you can purchase to do that now. Keys in the freezer prevents access, apparently. Iusually keep my car in the garage, and will definitely every day now.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We live in an apartment building, so we basically just lock the door (we're 13 flights up). When I had my own place though, I was super paranoid  because I was on the 2nd floor, and was used to living in high rise buildings. I also had a fire escape in my building that led to an alley. So I installed (all on my own) one of those window guards. Except I installed it wrong, because it was supposed to open easily from the inside. I pretty much locked myself in, so thankfully I never had a fire and needed to use the fire escape. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• AddieCake said:
    We lock and deadbolt the doors, also have a security bar for the sliding doors to the porch, and now we also have to keep our key fobs in the freezer. 

Our keyless entry cars were broken into a couple weeks ago in our driveway. Apparently, there is a device you can purchase to do that now. Keys in the freezer prevents access, apparently. Iusually keep my car in the garage, and will definitely every day now.
    Dang I hadn't heard of this. My car has keyless entry and we don't have a garage :S 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

I check the doors before going to bed to make sure it is locked and also that the garage door is down.  My parents always did it growing up.  H thinks I'm paranoid but that's ok.  He is bad and forgets to the lock the door sometimes when he leaves on a random afternoon, makes me so mad.  He thinks that just because we are in a "safe" place much further from downtown it can't happen but yet the house 3 doors down got robber a couple weeks ago - it can happen anywhere!!

I had an alarm at my old house and it saved me one time (alarm went off during a break in and scared the person off) but it also caused me to freak out when it malfunctioned at least 3 times and I had issues with it other times.

• My dad has always been super paranoid. I laugh because he talked DH into paying more for a better security system with more bells and whistles than we probably needed and DH felt that he couldn't tell my dad no (not when it concerns his daughter's safety!). We use our house alarm and lock our cars. My dad also told me never to keep your garage door opener in your car in plain sight. Someone can break the glass on your car, press the opener, and be inside your house pretty quickly (assuming your interior door from the garage to your house isn't locked).
    The bedroom door always gets shut at night (so I can hear the imaginary murderer coming and at least have a fighting chance).
    Even though I feel very safe where we live, I try not to let myself get too comfortable. Ex- I prefer to keep the garage door shut when DH and I are working in the backyard.
    Most everyone I know has a gun except us. And apparently we need to get something for under the bed!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I love sleeping with the windows open but I REFUSE to do it in our house. The one night I leave it open is the night someone will break in. Before we go to sleep we close all blinds, make sure all the doors are locked, etc. We leave the porch light on all night and FI hates it. He thinks it's a huge waste of money and electricity. Cars are always in the garage, but unlocked.

On the other hand, FI's parents are super lax about security. A few years ago, his dad's car was stolen from their driveway because it was unlocked WITH the keys in it. D'oh.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I take a car service home if it's after 2. I lock the door. That's it? I don't generally feel unsafe.
  • lyndausvi said:
    Know what's  funny.   If I'm home DH leaves the bedroom door open all night.  If I'm OOT, he shuts the bedroom door and locks it.  Even makes the rescue stay in the room.  Normally the rescue goes between "his" bedroom and our room.  

That's funny, I do that too! FI works nights so the 2 nights a week he is off and I go to bed first I keep the bedroom door open. The other 5 nights I close it when I go to sleep.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm generally not worried, probably because I've been fortunate not to ever have anything happen.  Our last house came with an alarm system, we never activated it.  Ditto for this house.  I leave the windows open at night when it's nice out, even downstairs.  We do lock up at night and when we leave, but that's about it. 

My mom is the opposite.  A couple weeks ago, she was kind enough to help me set up DD's party at the pool while DH watched the kids.  She couldn't believe that I left the car unlocked and the rear gate open while I went back and forth unloading.  I wasn't sure if she was more worried about someone hotwiring the car or stealing the pinata, but either way, I felt very

http://i.giflike.com/1iqAaIK.gif
  • We lock the doors and windows, and we lock our cars and make sure you can't see anything considered valuable through the windows. If I leave my purse in the car, I put it in the trunk. 

My parents tend to leave a light on when they leave the house after dark, even though the area they live in is very low crime.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My sister and I take the train downtown together a lot. I live a few miles from the train station so it's a walkable distance but we'd rather not. My mom used to tell us that she'd pick us up in the middle of the night if it was nice out, but not if it was raining or shitty. Because anyone who would rob or rape us wouldn't be out in shitty weather. 

We thought it was funny.
  • hicoco said:
    lyndausvi said:
    Know what's  funny.   If I'm home DH leaves the bedroom door open all night.  If I'm OOT, he shuts the bedroom door and locks it.  Even makes the rescue stay in the room.  Normally the rescue goes between "his" bedroom and our room.  

That's funny, I do that too! FI works nights so the 2 nights a week he is off and I go to bed first I keep the bedroom door open. The other 5 nights I close it when I go to sleep.

Ha! Same! We always sleep with the door open, especially in the summer for air flow. We leave the upstairs windows open at night and get a nice cross breeze. But when FI is out of town on an overnight flight I usually close the bedroom door. I feel exposed with it open when I am home alone.
  • BouxRadleyBouxRadley member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    FI is more paranoid than I am, get's it from his mom. I'm from a small town in LA where everyone's doors are unlocked all the time and half the time the keys are left in the ignition. Which pisses FI off cuz I still do both of those sometimes. Other than that there's a baseball bat under the bed, a gun and/or mace in my purse or night stand, and I don't leave anything of value lying around out of sight.  

etf:words
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards