Chit Chat

Happy Hump Day -- office pet peeves/co-worker vent

Someone is fucking whistling in the office today. What. The. Fuck. You can hear it from far away and I have no idea who it is (my office is about 100 people). At the same time, this woman who just moved into the office about 50 feet away from me is listening to some pretty loud and pretty bad Indian music, and the woman whose office is only about 10 feet away from me is on the phone with her kids and talking to them in a baby voice (it would be cute, but she does this at least once a day, she’s loud, and the call lasts for a while).

Someone heated up fish in the microwave for some insane reason, and my boss is "working from home" but unable to answer a single email I've sent today. 

Tonight there will be wine.

What is driving you crazy at work today?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Happy Hump Day -- office pet peeves/co-worker vent

• One co-worker has been outside in the smoke pit all day talking to her Dad, so none of her work is getting done and I'm left answering her phone calls. Another Airman is bitching about how he hates working from a computer all day, so I'm confused as to why he even joined the Air Force in the first place if he's going to complain everyday- if he wanted to do intensive work, he should've joined the Army. And we had someone heat up broccoli in the microwave today.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Wow. Wow. That is ALL of my office pet peeves in one day. That's terrible.

Nothing too crazy going on here today, but I do have a coworker who stomps when she walks and lets out a huge SIGH while she does it. It's terribly depressing.
  • Coworker made microwave popcorn at 9am... friggen office still smells like butteryness.
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    A guy around the corner from me clip his nails at is desk, and I can hear it. Its so gross.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:
    A guy around the corner from me clip his nails at is desk, and I can hear it. Its so gross.

OMG I would quit.

• KatWAG said:
    The guy behind me clips his TOEnails!
  • Coworker made microwave popcorn at 9am... friggen office still smells like butteryness.

Ignore the random spanish subtitles

• KatWAG said:
    The girl in the office next to me clips her nails almost every day. It's probably the most offensive thing you can do in an office, outside of heating up fish in the microwave.

My pet peeves - 

- coworker (nail clipper girl) also has the most obnoxious giggle that she uses generously. No one should giggle as much as she does, even in incredibly inappropriate situations.

- Nail-clipping giggling girl also just got promoted to the same job that I was just promoted to. She does about half the work, comes in late, and refuses to ever step up and help out the team when needed (when my boss is big on being a team player and working together). Now I'm not sure if I actually earned my promotion or if my boss promoted both of us so she can back fill our positions since we're bringing on so much new business. I'm irritated to say the least but silver lining is that at least I got a nice raise.
  • That's a lot all in one day. At least you're halfway though the week! 

We also have a fingernail clipper in our office. Like, several times a week. How? How do her nails grow that fast? I'm annoyed, but also in awe. 

There is this woman who uses her office phone as her personal phone. She gets personal calls all. fucking. day. Her mom calls her about 3-4 times a day. PER DAY. And whenever her kid calls, she's all motherese..."hey little guy! How's my little guy? Whatcha up to, honey? You just woke up? It's 2 o'clock! Awwwwww you can't vacuum today? Why not? Well you should do it before....oh you can't clean your room either?.... well, ok Kevin can come over whenever you want... Want me to pick up McDonald's for dinner? Your favorite? I'll take you to the pool later. Who loves you? I love you! Mommy loves you!" This kid is like 15. 
    *********************************************************************************

• My boss is deaf in one ear.  She YELLS on the phone.  When she needs one of us, instead of dialing our extension, she yells "FEELEY!" at the top of her lungs and we have to "come" like a trained dog.  She bangs on things (phone / printer / copier) when they don't work and then wonders why they don't work.  At least close your fucking door so we don't have to hear you woman!
  • My boss is deaf in one ear.  She YELLS on the phone.  When she needs one of us, instead of dialing our extension, she yells "FEELEY!" at the top of her lungs and we have to "come" like a trained dog.  She bangs on things (phone / printer / copier) when they don't work and then wonders why they don't work.  At least close your fucking door so we don't have to hear you woman!
    I feel like this would be a perfect character for The Office.
    *********************************************************************************

• Jessica. She keeps scheduling meetings with me only for the purpose of talking about her wedding-- she tries to trick me into thinking it's something important by naming the meeting after some huge project we're both working on. 

I fell for it the first time and I was pissed. 

Yesterday I had TWO meetings (10am and 10:30am) pop up in my calendar from her. I walked straight to her cube and just said, "NO." And then went back to my desk. 

Today she scheduled ANOTHER one and I asked what it was for. She wants to give our former boss a card. I asked why we can't just walk over to her desk and give it to her. There is no need for a formal 30-minute meeting to hand someone a card. "It needs to be a meeting to make sure we all have time in our schedules." Right. You mean you need to clear time in everyone's schedules to talk about your fucking wedding. 

Then she constantly bitches and wines about being SO busy. So so so busy! Well then STOP SCHEDULING MEETINGS you jackass. 

We also have a fingernail clipper in our office. Like, several times a week. How? How do her nails grow that fast? I'm annoyed, but also in awe. 

There is this woman who uses her office phone as her personal phone. She gets personal calls all. fucking. day. Her mom calls her about 3-4 times a day. PER DAY. And whenever her kid calls, she's all motherese..."hey little guy! How's my little guy? Whatcha up to, honey? You just woke up? It's 2 o'clock! Awwwwww you can't vacuum today? Why not? Well you should do it before....oh you can't clean your room either?.... well, ok Kevin can come over whenever you want... Want me to pick up McDonald's for dinner? Your favorite? I'll take you to the pool later. Who loves you? I love you! Mommy loves you!" This kid is like 15. 

hahahha that's bad!!!

I'm sure my mom's coworkers got real sick of listening to her say "375°. Is the chicken boneless or bone in? Boneless? 30 minutes". In college (and a few years after) I would call her every fucking time I made chicken. LOL

• Boss eats chips around the clock. Admitted to eating Pringles with breakfast, and then had more at 9:45, and again at lunch, and an afternoon snack.

And he CHOMPS loudly with his mouth open when he does it.  It gives me chills the noise irritates me so bad.  Then again, he's a misogynistic horrible husband and dad and everything he says/does irritates the crap out of me.

We've also got a nail clipper.  And the Orthorexia thread reminded me of a woman I work with who will analyze EVERYTHING other people choose to eat or drink as far as how much sugar it has or if there are chemicals or preservatives blah blah blah.

Other coworker on my team is a dramatic hypochondriac, and has to play up any "illness" or "injury" he has.  He called his doctor wanting to get in immediately because his wrist hurt. When they told him he couldn't get in that soon, he asked if he went in to the ER, would they call his doctor so he could see him then?  Ridiculous.
  • AlisonM23 said:
    Boss eats chips around the clock. Admitted to eating Pringles with breakfast, and then had more at 9:45, and again at lunch, and an afternoon snack.

And he CHOMPS loudly with his mouth open when he does it.  It gives me chills the noise irritates me so bad.  Then again, he's a misogynistic horrible husband and dad and everything he says/does irritates the crap out of me.

We've also got a nail clipper.  And the Orthorexia thread reminded me of a woman I work with who will analyze EVERYTHING other people choose to eat or drink as far as how much sugar it has or if there are chemicals or preservatives blah blah blah.

Other coworker on my team is a dramatic hypochondriac, and has to play up any "illness" or "injury" he has.  He called his doctor wanting to get in immediately because his wrist hurt. When they told him he couldn't get in that soon, he asked if he went in to the ER, would they call his doctor so he could see him then?  Ridiculous.
    That would just make me laugh. You've got some good ones (bad ones?) in your office! 
  • AlisonM23 said:
    Boss eats chips around the clock. Admitted to eating Pringles with breakfast, and then had more at 9:45, and again at lunch, and an afternoon snack.

That would just make me laugh. You've got some good ones (bad ones?) in your office! 

He was completely serious about doing that, and did it in a very demanding tone (otherwise it would have been comical).  He's also the guy who loudly negotiates his cable bill at his desk, and tells all his sob stories about his various surgeries (tooth, toe, gallbladder, etc), to his internal customers.  It gets old!
  • I work in (yet another) co-working space. This time, company has a private office in a building of private offices. They're all smaller than my (already small) bedroom at home. All glass walls and doors. It's pretty customary to keep doors open.

But our neighbor is yelling. It's annoying. I hear him pounding on his desk and yelling. I closed our door but it's not helping.

Also, our other neighbor is eating fries. I want the fries. All of the fries.

But, alas, I'm heading to TX tomorrow and suspect we'll be eating horribly.
  • We had three nail clippers...yes, THREE...but one of them left so now we are down to two. That's two too many thanksverymuch.

I could not be more annoyed at the fact that my "office" is technically the copy room which is annoying enough. But it also has an extra desk that our work study students use. I'm not used to being in a cube-type environment but that's what this is like. I can hear everything they do 3 feet away and it frustrates me to no end. Then when a supervisor comes to talk to them, I think "hello, you're carrying on this long drawn-out conversation in MY office"...but then I realize it's technically a copy room. And this usually happens in the summer months when I have very important things to do - like watch Netflix and knot, obviously.

• I shared an office with a nail clipper at my old job. He made me want to puke sometimes. One time he also flossed at his desk. 

My one boss is a stomper, which is kind of convenient because I can hear when she's going to come into my office from the hallway. I always have time to prepare myself. She also has a weird system for labeling files on our server, and everything in each folder will start with the same thing, usually Client Name, Service, and then it's impossible to find the exact file you're looking for because they all look the same. She's a nice lady, though.

We get bagels every week, and someone ALWAYS takes one half of a bagel and eats the other half, which inevitably gets tossed because no one wants it. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AND I can't believe I forgot this. People "forget" to wash their dishes all the time, then leave them in the sink for a month until they mold, when they get thrown out. It's disgusting. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I shared an office with a nail clipper at my old job. He made me want to puke sometimes. One time he also flossed at his desk. 

My one boss is a stomper, which is kind of convenient because I can hear when she's going to come into my office from the hallway. I always have time to prepare myself. She also has a weird system for labeling files on our server, and everything in each folder will start with the same thing, usually Client Name, Service, and then it's impossible to find the exact file you're looking for because they all look the same. She's a nice lady, though.

We get bagels every week, and someone ALWAYS takes one half of a bagel and eats the other half, which inevitably gets tossed because no one wants it. 
    We have jerks who cut doghnuts in half. What the hell man, you're wasting a perfectly good doghnut!

• I have too many to post. I turned in my resignation on Thursday and I'm here til the 21st so I just keep telling myself to get through the next 10 days..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • cupcait927, I have a coworker who shaves his head with an electric razor at his desk about once a week. Razor stays on his desk the rest of the time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Ugh my coworker does this too, but she's the receptionist so she uses the main phone line for it! I have to answer the phone when she's away from her desk and it's very often her cousin or her bratty kid. Also hate it when she hums, I have to put in headphones.
  • hicoco said:
    cupcait927, I have a coworker who shaves his head with an electric razor at his desk about once a week. Razor stays on his desk the rest of the time.
    WTF who does that?! Unless you are employed in a hair salon, you should not be cutting your hair at work 
  • I work from home, so my only gripes are the dogs who like to all the sudden what to play when I'm trying to work.  Specifically the bulldog.  Once a week he gets crazy and all he wants to do is play. He will try and jump up on me, shaking a rope trying to get me to play tug-of-war.

Other than that I do not have any co-workers to bother me.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We just had a BBQ for lunch and our boss wanted us to come up with ideas for an employee get together. He's really big on promoting a good office relationship and we usually do 2 events outside of work throughout the year. A summer event and a Christmas event. Usually just a short evening out, bowling, dinner and a show etc. Which is fine. I get along with my coworkers fine, but I am the kind of person that likes a distinct separation between work and home, I see these people 40+ hours a week, I don't need to then hang out with them afterwards, but I can deal with a couple extra hours twice a year.

Anyhoo, the coworkers came up with a work camping weekend.... I am already coming up with excuses as to why I can't go. I love camping but I am not spending my entire weekend with my coworkers. Thankfully with the wedding in 2 months, I am pretty sure I can come up with a decent excuse for being busy on whatever weekend they choose
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2015
    I thought I was almost in the clear today. . . . .but the loudest person EVER whose office is two doors down from me just came back to her office.  Everything she says is yelled at top volume.  She also repeats herself over and over and over.  She feels the need to tell multiple people the exact same thing at super top volume.  I want to throw something out the window.

ETA:  If you ask her to keep it down, or even try to mention it, she says she has ADHD.  Listen, she is like 35 and an attorney, she has gotten this far. . . . maybe she should just talk more quietly!
  • We just had a BBQ for lunch and our boss wanted us to come up with ideas for an employee get together. He's really big on promoting a good office relationship and we usually do 2 events outside of work throughout the year. A summer event and a Christmas event. Usually just a short evening out, bowling, dinner and a show etc. Which is fine. I get along with my coworkers fine, but I am the kind of person that likes a distinct separation between work and home, I see these people 40+ hours a week, I don't need to then hang out with them afterwards, but I can deal with a couple extra hours twice a year.

Anyhoo, the coworkers came up with a work camping weekend.... I am already coming up with excuses as to why I can't go. I love camping but I am not spending my entire weekend with my coworkers. Thankfully with the wedding in 2 months, I am pretty sure I can come up with a decent excuse for being busy on whatever weekend they choose
    Agh I don't do non-work-hours things either, and I think everyone at my office thinks I am snobby and/or weird. Tons of people here hang out after work and drink beer and play video games and I am always peace-ing out as soon as possible. Part of it is that I live over an hour from work, the other part is, I'd rather be with my family/pets/friends than hanging out at work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards