Destination Weddings Discussions

Getting Married in Italy

I am getting married in Rome, Italy and there is a lot of paperwork to gather and submit. I'm having trouble with the birth certificate step. All the things that I have read say that you need your official birth certificate (long form) with your state's stamp. It then needs to be translated into Italian and sent back to the state to get a Apostille before I can go to the Italian Consulate. Has anyone gone through this process before and do you have any suggestions on finding an official translator?

Re: Getting Married in Italy

• Have not been through it, but you should be able to find someone by googling "certified translation".  If nothing comes up specific to your area, you can use the nationwide directory from the ATA, which should come up in your search.
  • For a translator, check your area for any Italian American Clubs. If you have any, contact them if they have any members who are professional translators if they know of anyone they recommend.
  • I have done this process to register my marriage. Usually they want the apostille translated too so double check that before you start ordering the apostille. Also, not just any translator will be sufficient. It needs to be a "traduttore giurato" meaning that the translator is officially recognized legally in the Italian registry. Checking with the consulate should help, they might have a list of local translators. Hope this helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards