Registry and Gift Forum
Options

"Early" gifts?

A friend of ours found our registry online (we're not sure how--we haven't even given it out to anyone and MOH hasn't sent shower invites yet!) and bought us a gift. We're registered with Zola, which notified us of our gift and gave the option for us to have it shipped now, or wait and have it shipped later. Our shower is in August. Should we wait to "receive" this gift until after the shower? I wouldn't want the friend to think that we don't want their gift, but I also don't want to seem greedy by having it sent to us early!

Re: "Early" gifts?

• Options
    Get it now and send a thank you now.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Registries are very easy to find online. All you need to do is Google a person's name and registry and they will typically pop up. I've gotten a few early gifts. One from a family friend who wanted to make sure that she would be the one to buy us the Kitchenaid mixer. We opened the gift, sent a thank you, and put it aside until after the wedding. Did your shower invites go out? Do you know if she's invited/attending? Unless she's gotten a shower invite, I'd assume that it was a wedding gift. Either way, have it delivered, open to make sure it's not damaged, and send a thank you note immediately.
  • Options
    chloe97 said:
    Registries are very easy to find online. All you need to do is Google a person's name and registry and they will typically pop up. I've gotten a few early gifts. One from a family friend who wanted to make sure that she would be the one to buy us the Kitchenaid mixer. We opened the gift, sent a thank you, and put it aside until after the wedding. Did your shower invites go out? Do you know if she's invited/attending? Unless she's gotten a shower invite, I'd assume that it was a wedding gift. Either way, have it delivered, open to make sure it's not damaged, and send a thank you note immediately.
    Shower gifts ARE wedding gifts.  You're not getting a gift because you're having a shower, you're getting a gift because you're getting married.

Yes, have the gift shipped now.  Open it to be sure it's the correct item, not broken, all parts included, then send a TY note to the giver.  Then don't use the gift until after the wedding.
  • Options
    I should clarify that I'm saying don't expect that the gift that you receive in the mail is a shower gift and mention it in that capacity in your TY note. The gift giver may just be getting a head start on her gift shopping. I got a gift from my MOH in the mail who could not make my shower. I sent her a TY right away, but didn't mention anything about the shower, just said "thank you for the gift...". I'm glad that I didn't assume it was a shower gift, because she had gone in on a group gift at the shower. I sent her a second TY for the group gift and said that we missed her at the shower. If I had mentioned the shower for the original gift, she may have thought that I didn't understand that the gift was her wedding gift and created an awkward situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards