Budget Weddings Forum

Teacher Discounts

Hi! Does anyone know of any vendors for attire, accessories, invitations, favors, etc. that might offer a teacher discount? Any advice would be helpful!

Re: Teacher Discounts

• I've never heard of a teacher discount before, sorry. Especially with wedding related purchases. I've been engaged for a couple years and actively planning since then so I've come across a lot of wedding venues, services, and products. I don't recall even seeing a military or student discount which are the most common. Actually, I think a military discount popped up once, but that's it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Why would teachers get a discount? I'd have loved that, as I am one, but that seems an odd thing to think would exist. It's not like it's school supplies you're buying.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • No, but lots of stores do offer teacher discounts as a way of showing appreciation for what we do. Do some research, you'd be surprised what's out there.
  • I would think the only places that offer discounts would be places you are already aware of offering discounts. So I would start your search there, but they probably won't offer the same discount for your wedding (if any) as they would if you are buying school supplies. 
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    No, but lots of stores do offer teacher discounts as a way of showing appreciation for what we do. Do some research, you'd be surprised what's out there.

Right, but you're not likely to get a discount on your wedding attire or invitations because you're a teacher. That would just be odd.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • It never hurts to ask!  You'd be surprised where you can get a discount even if what you are buying has nothing to do with school.  There is a consignment shop I frequent that has a teacher discount.  Also, I got a discount at a paper supply place with my teacher badge.  So, yes, there are discounts available for teachers even if what you are buying is not wedding related.  Good luck.
  • edited July 2015
    I've never heard of any discounts for teachers at venues or dress stores.   I know that if you DIY your invitations, centerpieces, favors, etc , you can use your teacher discount at Jo Ann Fabrics and Michael's to buy materials.   
  • Oh, what about Oriental Trading? They have wedding supplies too and I believe they do give teachers discounts (possibly).

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    Teacher discounts are there for teachers to help them buy things for classroom use - not for their wedding.

I always recommend Pearl's Place in Louisiana for discount attire.  They are not an online shopping service.  You are expected to have chosen your dresses locally before you order from them.  No teacher discounts, but good prices for authentic gowns.

http://pearlsplace.com/

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I have never heard of any vendors offering teacher discounts. I believe Joann's does (where you can get DIY invitations, favors, decor, fabric if you sewed your own dress, etc.) but not vendors. I would be quite surprised if any vendors offered teacher discounts.
  • CMGragain said:
    Teacher discounts are there for teachers to help them buy things for classroom use - not for their wedding.

I always recommend Pearl's Place in Louisiana for discount attire.  They are not an online shopping service.  You are expected to have chosen your dresses locally before you order from them.  No teacher discounts, but good prices for authentic gowns.

http://pearlsplace.com/

This. Those discounts aren't given so you can buy whatever for yourself, they are given so you can buy whatever for your classroom and students.
  • I've never seen or heard of teacher discounts offered for wedding-related goods before. Weddings are generally not considered "educational" events for schoolkids, and vendors who do offer teacher discounts are not doing so in order for the teachers to get lower rates on personal items.

• FMIL12FMIL12 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Not implying that there are discounts for weddings but saying the teacher discounts are only for items for your classroom isn't accurate either. As a teacher I can get discounts at restaurants, car rentals, clothing stores etc. all of which have no connection to my classroom,
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    FMIL12 said:
    Not implying that there are discounts for weddings but saying the teacher discounts are only for items for your classroom isn't accurate either. As a teacher I can get discounts at restaurants, car rentals, clothing stores etc. all of which have no connection to my classroom,
    I am really not trying to be rude but I think that teachers getting those types of discounts that have zero to do with their classroom is beyond ridiculous.

Yes teachers are important and yes they provide a service to our youth.  But wholly hell, now that profession is given discounts?  Why?  Why do they deserve a discount on things over say a doctor or a lawyer or a burger flipper or a hair stylist?

I completely get and support teachers getting discounts on items that they purchase for their classrooms.  But to be given a discount on a rental car?  No.
    i'm still waiting on my lawyer discounts. . . . . 
  • Apple gives teachers a discount.  When I bought my last Macbook Pro they kept asking me if I was a teacher or student.  Asked if I had family who were so I could get the discount.  I do have family that are teachers, but would never ask them to use their discount.   

I would be surprised if photographers, caterers and special occasion vendors offer teacher discounts.  It doesn't hurt to ask.

I can see where you could use your teacher's discount at places like JoAnn's, Michael's, Oriental Trading for stuff.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • FMIL12 said:
    I am really not trying to be rude but I think that teachers getting those types of discounts that have zero to do with their classroom is beyond ridiculous.

Yes teachers are important and yes they provide a service to our youth.  But wholly hell, now that profession is given discounts?  Why?  Why do they deserve a discount on things over say a doctor or a lawyer or a burger flipper or a hair stylist?

I completely get and support teachers getting discounts on items that they purchase for their classrooms.  But to be given a discount on a rental car?  No.

I think most discounts are offered so that you have an incentive to buy from that establishment.  It's all a marketing ploy.  No business is giving a discount to be nice. They want you to spend your money at their store.  Why not take advantage?
  • FMIL12FMIL12 member
    I will also add that the teacher discount is often insignificant. Not that I don't appreciate the offer but can usually get a better discount (using AAA discount for car rentals for example).
  • tojaitojai member
    When I was a teacher I remember getting a discount at a random hotel and also a clothing store.

I don't think I "deserved" it in the sense that I was entitled to it, but if the company offered I wasn't going to say no either.  Same with military discounts, none of the stores that I've used them at are at all military related (restaurants, clothes, movies, etc).  Nobody is entitled to discounts, it's the decision of the company to make.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards