Flowers

Hate Flowers!

edited June 2015 in Flowers
I think flowers are such a waste of money. We are in early stages of planning, but I have gotten into arguments with everyone about it at least once. Did anyone use any or is planning to use alternatives other than flowers for decorations? I still want to do the traditional bouquets for bridesmaids and boutonnieres for the guys.

Re: Hate Flowers!

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015

I think flowers are such a waste of money. We are in early stages of planning, but I have gotten into arguments with everyone about it at least once. Did anyone use any or is planning to use alternatives other than flowers for decorations? I still want to do the traditional bouquets for bridesmaids and boutonnieres for the guys.

Having bouquets or boutonnières doesn't make sense if you think flowers are "such a waste of money." Just skip them if that's how you feel.
  • Not sure why you're arguing over it; just don't have flowers if you don't want flowers. If your groom is the one arguing, it's worth re-thinking, but otherwise....

We're only doing personal flowers from a florist. Everything else will be silk, ordered in bulk, or clipped from our own (or our parents') garden. I love flowers, but I am not a fan of blowing our budget on them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Don't have them. There are other things to decorate.

• We didn't use any flowers. I had brooch bouquets and I made my own centerpieces with painted wine bottles and candles. 
  • So don't have flowers then. 

If you still want bouquets/boutonnieres, you could do a broach bouquet, a pearl bouquet, a ribbon bouquet, a fake flower bouquet, a pine cone bouquet, a button bouquet, newspaper, seashells, keys, feathers, tulle..... there are literally thousands of options. 
    *********************************************************************************

• I think flowers are such a waste of money. We are in early stages of planning, but I have gotten into arguments with everyone about it at least once. Did anyone use any or is planning to use alternatives other than flowers for decorations? I still want to do the traditional bouquets for bridesmaids and boutonnieres for the guys.
    It's you wedding so you can go with what you want. You can use feathers, grass, leaves, wheat...for your decorations and bouquets.
  • No matter the alternative option, you're still going to spend money on it...  I will say though the brooch ideas I've seen are beautiful and you can get the brooches reasonably on ebay! then use them over your lifetime for different events especially if you live in the north where we have winter 8mo out of the year LOL...

If all you want for flowers is the BM & bout's, then stick with that, and call it done, stop getting into arguments with people over it and just bean dip when someone tries to in the future. 

• edited June 2015

DH & I also felt like flower centerpieces were a waste. we went with traditional bouquets for the BMs, corsages for the moms and grandmothers, and boutonnières for the GM dads and grandfather.

For centerpieces, we wanted to create a simple yet elegant ambience, so we went with cylindrical glass vases with floating candles - we did multiple heights at each table, while making sure the tallest height wouldn't impede conversation across the tables. (We were super lucky our venue let us use actual candles!) 

ETA: We also had mini seashells sprinkled around the vases on the table.

• You don't need flowers if you don't want or like them. Floral centerpieces are included with my wedding package so we're going to be doing those. However, I don't want a lot of flowers at the wedding since my wedding is in the winter. For the GMs bouts I'm probably going to make paper flowers out of recycled book or comic book pages. For the BMs bouquets I have no idea what I'll do but I'll ask their preferences. They will likely want traditional bouquets. Ceremony decor will be paper lanterns, string lights, and possibly a garland.

There are tons and tons of alternatives for flowers. You don't need to have them. I hate when people say, "it's your day!" but when it comes to things like flowers and decor, it really is up to you and your FI.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I'm using lanterns and candles for my centerpieces because I didn't want to spend money on flowers.    

I am using flowers for the bouquets and bridal party members, but I'm getting them through a local grocery store and it's only costing me $400 (that includes tax and labor).
  • edited June 2015
    Jen4948 said:
    Having bouquets or boutonnières doesn't make sense if you think flowers are "such a waste of money." Just skip them if that's how you feel.
    I don't agree with this. I think flowers are a waste of money, but one of those little details needed to achieve the look I wanted.  If you want the traditional look in your wedding pictures, then flowers are the way to go.   I'm using flowers for the bridal party because I do like the traditional look of them.  I tried to think of alternatives, but nothing seemed to look right expect for flowers.    I sucked it up and picked the least expensive florist I could find.   

• Jen4948 said:

I don't agree with this. I think flowers are a waste of money, but one of those little details needed to achieve the look I wanted.  If you want the traditional look in your wedding pictures, then flowers are the way to go.   I'm using flowers for the bridal party because I do like the traditional look of them.  I tried to think of alternatives, but nothing seemed to look right expect for flowers.    I sucked it up and picked the least expensive florist I could find.   

And I still disagree. Why do you want to achieve a look of having flowers and follow a tradition if you actually hate them and consider them "a waste of money" ? If that's how you feel, I'd try for another look that doesn't look like something you actually consider "a waste of money."
  • edited June 2015
    Depending on your venue and look you're trying to achieve you can use succulents in lieu of flowers.  If done right, you can repurpose them into planters after so you're not just wasting them!

ETA - FI's cousin who is married and now has a baby on the way gave us great advice for dealing with wedding critics:  "Thank you, I'll take that into consideration."  That way you can easily and politely dip out of the conversation or change the subject!  It's worked wonderfully with dealing with MOG.
  • We also think that flowers are huge waste of money. We're doing 2 BM bouquets, 1 bride bouquet, bouts for 4 GM, groom, and 2 fathers and 3 corsages for mothers. We also added some red roses to be cascaded down our cake and holiday greens to be placed in various spots on the tables at the reception (winter wedding.) We were quoted less than $600 for all of that. All of the other decorations we're doing are home made, dollar-store-supplies winter themed items. We bought some small wooden reindeer and spray painted them white and tied red ribbons around their necks and for centerpieces, we're doing DIY crystal trees in vases. At the ceremony we'll have pew bows and winter trees on either side of the altar so no flowers needed there. You just have to get creative with your colors/theme to find cool decorations that don't involve flowers. You'll save a lot of money by getting non-floral decorations and, I don't know how crafty you are, but I have had the most fun doing my DIY projects. For the record, I'm not super crafty and work odd hours so I chose projects that wouldn't require a ton of skill or time.
  • You don't have to have flowers, but try to find something else. Then when people ask what kind of flowers are you having, you aren't answering with "we're not doing flowers.". If you have other options, like say feathers,  You can say "we're going to do to really cool arrangments using feathers." People will be more like, ok, that's different, but at least you won't get the "You can't have nothing" arguement.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards