Snarky Brides

Pinterest Snark

edited July 2015 in Snarky Brides
This was a suggestion on my Pinterest.  I can't believe this is a thing at receptions.

ugh.jpg 49.8K

Re: Pinterest Snark

• Ugh that one shows up on my feed ALL.THE.TIME.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• "instead of the dollar dance!"  SMH

• edited July 2015
    @aliwis000: If they do open their wallets, it's because they were guilted into it, which is even worse. 
  • @aliwis000: If they do open their wallets, it's because they were guilted into it, which is even worse. 
    For real. Though they can turn quite a profit. My aunt had one when she married her assface husband back in '02 and they made almost a grand. 

I suppose if you're not looking for a return, just extra spending money that you don't have anymore, it's a fine, tacky way to do it. 
  • @BouxRadley: A grand!!????  Wow! with the way my family side eyes shit, I'd be lucky to make fifty cents!  The "Dollar Dance" really baffles me too.  We have a bar in my town that has Dollar a dance girls. (well, maybe it's more than a dollar now.)  This is what I picture every time I hear about this Dollar Dance.
  • People keep assuming I'm obsessed with pinterest just because I'm planning a wedding. "OMG are you on pinterest like all the time?" "Did you get your save the date idea from pinterest? It's so cute!"
    No and no... believe it or not I'm semi creative and don't need a smorgasbord of overdone ideas to inspire me. I even stopped using Pinterest for recipes... some of the visuals are good but the actual recipes aren't good at all, from my own experience.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Luckily I got married before Pinterest became what it is so no one was asking me "oh did you find that on Pinterest?"

• @peachy13: I get the same thing!   And everyone assumes I'm going to have Mason Jars with burlap and lace everywhere!  (For the record: No, I will not.)  I was using Pinterest already for yoga stuff.  I already had a very good idea of what I wanted for the wedding.  I did find some ideas for flowers though. 
  • @maggie0829: You're definitely lucky.  Don't get me wrong. Pinterest can be ok for inspiration.  I found an idea for my bouquet on Pinterest.  But there's also no filter or warning when something is tacky or rude.
  • @BouxRadley: A grand!!????  Wow! with the way my family side eyes shit, I'd be lucky to make fifty cents!  The "Dollar Dance" really baffles me too.  We have a bar in my town that has Dollar a dance girls. (well, maybe it's more than a dollar now.)  This is what I picture every time I hear about this Dollar Dance.
    I'm southern. It's side-eyed if you DON'T have a Money Dance, unfortunately. 
  • edited July 2015
    @BouxRadley: A grand!!????  Wow! with the way my family side eyes shit, I'd be lucky to make fifty cents!  The "Dollar Dance" really baffles me too.  We have a bar in my town that has Dollar a dance girls. (well, maybe it's more than a dollar now.)  This is what I picture every time I hear about this Dollar Dance.

I've never actually seen a dollar dance.  Plus, I'd be pretty pissed if anyone tried to pin anything on my dress.  BTW: Loving your screen name.  TKAM is one of my favorite books.

I've never actually seen a dollar dance.  Plus, I'd be pretty pissed if anyone tried to pin anything on my dress.  BTW: Loving your screen name.  TKAM is one of my favorite books.

Not all money dances require you to pin money to your dress.  Some have an apron that the MOH wears.  Others just have a box or container to drop the money into.  Unfortunately I have been a witness to quite a few.  And really they should rename it Money Dances since these can go on and on and on for multiple songs.  When it is announced that a dollar dance or whatever is going to happen I take that as my cue to head to the bar.

Not all money dances require you to pin money to your dress.  Some have an apron that the MOH wears.  Others just have a box or container to drop the money into.  Unfortunately I have been a witness to quite a few.  And really they should rename it Money Dances since these can go on and on and on for multiple songs.  When it is announced that a dollar dance or whatever is going to happen I take that as my cue to head to the bar.
    Now I'm picturing my MOH wearing an apron and walking around collecting money from people and cracking up.

• @peachy13: I get the same thing!   And everyone assumes I'm going to have Mason Jars with burlap and lace everywhere!  (For the record: No, I will not.)  I was using Pinterest already for yoga stuff.  I already had a very good idea of what I wanted for the wedding.  I did find some ideas for flowers though. 

My SIL, sweet as can be, loves pinterest and LOVES mason jars. She very generously offered to help me with centerpieces, proudly exclaiming "I know a great place to buy mason jars for really cheap! We can wrap them in burlap and put baby's breath in them!!" I had to very kindly tell her thanks but that I wasn't going with a mason jar-burlap theme (as she assumes all brides do this).
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• peachy13 said:
    @peachy13: I get the same thing!   And everyone assumes I'm going to have Mason Jars with burlap and lace everywhere!  (For the record: No, I will not.)  I was using Pinterest already for yoga stuff.  I already had a very good idea of what I wanted for the wedding.  I did find some ideas for flowers though. 

My SIL, sweet as can be, loves pinterest and LOVES mason jars. She very generously offered to help me with centerpieces, proudly exclaiming "I know a great place to buy mason jars for really cheap! We can wrap them in burlap and put baby's breath in them!!" I had to very kindly tell her thanks but that I wasn't going with a mason jar-burlap theme (as she assumes all brides do this).
    Don't forget to add the lace.  That makes it classy. 
  • peachy13 said:
    @peachy13: I get the same thing!   And everyone assumes I'm going to have Mason Jars with burlap and lace everywhere!  (For the record: No, I will not.)  I was using Pinterest already for yoga stuff.  I already had a very good idea of what I wanted for the wedding.  I did find some ideas for flowers though. 

And twine.
  • peachy13 said:

I know people who are really into mason jars and used them as decoration at their wedding.  But they're genuinely into mason jars; as in, they use them as glasses and mugs in their kitchen at home, had homemade jam and apple butter in mason jars as our wedding favors, and are contemplating a mason jar lighting fixture over their dining room table.  Those are not the people that I judge about having mason jars at their wedding.  

I, however, will be decorating my wedding with brown beer bottles as that is more what I like and my personal aesthetic.
  • justsuzie said:
    peachy13 said:

And twine.
    OMG! how could I forget about the twine?!  I should be horsewhipped!
  • You know what I put in Mason jars? 
    Green beans.
    Yep. Mason jars as food storage.
    It's like the cutest effing thing ever. I should put that shit on Pinterest and blow everyone's mind.
    Mason jars for food storage? You should totally put that on Pinterest. I don't think anyone else has thought of that yet!   Don't forget to wrap it in burlap and lace!  ...and twine!   can't forget the twine! 
    Green beans.
    It's like the cutest effing thing ever. I should put that shit on Pinterest and blow everyone's mind.
    THANK YOU! I have 8 cases of mason jars in my basement right now. Why? Not because I'm getting married, no, because I have a shitload of stuff in my garden that I will be canning in about 6 weeks!

My thoughts when I see all this crap on Pinterest in Mason Jars, is what a waste of a good jar!
    Just ate my first garden item last night.  One jalapeno off a plant in my garden made into salsa.  Won't be canning them, but I had to share my excitement about eating from my very own garden!!!
  • adk19 said:
    You know what I put in Mason jars? 
    Green beans.
    THANK YOU! I have 8 cases of mason jars in my basement right now. Why? Not because I'm getting married, no, because I have a shitload of stuff in my garden that I will be canning in about 6 weeks!

My thoughts when I see all this crap on Pinterest in Mason Jars, is what a waste of a good jar!
    Just ate my first garden item last night.  One jalapeno off a plant in my garden made into salsa.  Won't be canning them, but I had to share my excitement about eating from my very own garden!!!
    I love having a garden. I'm using a zucchini and basil from my garden to make zucchini parm for dinner tonight.
    Green beans.
    Mason jars for food storage? You should totally put that on Pinterest. I don't think anyone else has thought of that yet!   Don't forget to wrap it in burlap and lace!  ...and twine!   can't forget the twine! 
    Totally vintage!
  • justsuzie said:
    Green beans.
    Totally vintage!
    Rustic Chic!
  • justsuzie said:
    Green beans.
    Totally vintage!
    Rustic Chic!
    Vintage Chic!
  • We will have mason jars, but there really wasn't much way around them being involved since that is what our reception venue serves drinks in every day. Also, I have cabinets full of them at home since I pack meals in them for FI to take to work for lunch, and for his breakfasts/dinners when I am OOT (I am currently still splitting my time between 2 citiesc each week). It was an easy "already purchased" option for vases, especially since the site coordinator told me not to use anything tall or skinny that would blow over easily since it is in an open barn-like pavilion and is often breezy. I decided to space beads out on some copper wire and use it to attach cameos with old family photos to them. Each vase and votive has a pic from each of our families on it. I loved that I have tons of old pic of my grandparents from the 30's & 40's.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards