Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

DW Orlando Florida $10k-15 reasonable?

We and our immediate family and friends live in Ontario.
We're planning on having our wedding July 2016 in Orlando Florida.
Budget hoping to keep under $15,000.

We've picked Orlando because it is easy for both sides of the family to go. they can decide to fly or make the drive.  My in laws own property there and go a few times a year and my SIL travels for work and will go and check out venues for me and give me feedback.

we're REALLY hoping to keep the guest list small.  hoping to keep it around 30-50 people max (already i can see how a guest list just grows so much!!)

I was just wondering where do i start? do i look for a resort? all inclusive? is that necessary since we'd like to be in Orlando?  like there's a lot of things for people to do in the area.

Has anyone that lives around Toronto been married in Orlando?
What are some things i need to consider and what about the legality of getting married there?

Thanks! :)

Re: DW Orlando Florida $10k-15 reasonable?

• Options

Have you posted this on the local Orlando board? They may be of more assistance to you to help you find vendors in the area that aren't necessarily tied to a resort.

I will say that you will not find any all inclusives in Orlando. It's also far from the beach (which is fine if you want a Disney type trip.)

• Options
    @Fosmoh are you Canadian? If you are, you have to find out about getting married out of province. There is special paperwork that has to be filled out before you get married, when you get married and when you return home. You also can't be married by just anyone. Please contact your municipality to find out what you would need and how far in advance you have to apply for everything. 

That's why many Canadians who have DWs will do a JOP wedding first then go and do the DW. 
  • Options
    @Fosmoh are you Canadian? If you are, you have to find out about getting married out of province. There is special paperwork that has to be filled out before you get married, when you get married and when you return home. You also can't be married by just anyone. Please contact your municipality to find out what you would need and how far in advance you have to apply for everything. 

That's why many Canadians who have DWs will do a JOP wedding first then go and do the DW. 

Is this an Ontario thing??  I'm in Alberta and they didn't care where I got married, so long as it was legal there.  

• Options
    FosmohFosmoh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Yes both FI and I are Canadian (we both grew up in Ontario)

One of the reasons we're thinking Orlando is because it's not too far from the property that my in laws own (so they won't have to worry about staying at a hotel) and because we have two children AND there are quite a few kids in the family (nieces and nephews) so we were thinking if it's relatively close to disney, then people can go visit with their kids and stuff.

Our idea was to have the wedding on the Monday (since no one is local having it on an "odd" day isn't a big deal and it gives people the weekend to travel if they want to make the drive) then FI and i will leave the kids with my in laws at their place and we would go on a three day cruise, come back and spend some time with the kids there. take them to disney etc.

I have no idea about how to get married out of province, i'll absolutely look into it.
    I've heard that some people are offended if you "technically" get married before the wedding? like doing a justice of the peace thing.  in *MY* mind that wouldn't really be getting married as it would be getting the paperwork out of the way, the ceremony would be when we get married in *MY* eyes, i never really thought of it as a big deal until reading through these forums and stuff.
  • Options
    As you've seen on here, the paperwork is a pretty big deal. Not only because it wasn't legal for all US citizens to marry, but because you aren't legally married without it. Marriage may be spiritual to some, but bottom line, it's a legal contract between two people. That legal contract requires paperwork, and since the US and Canada allow you to marry spiritually and civilally in the same ceremony, people who attend a wedding expect to see you truly become spouses.

• Options
    There's a great post on the ChitChat board at the moment about people signing the paperwork and getting married 2 weeks later.  The poster is super pissed cos her and her DH have taken off work (used vacation), paid for flights and hotels and are now stuck going to see someone not get married.  It might give some insight into how guests might react to doing the paperwork before.  

• Options
    Oh, and to get married in FL, you need ID, SIN and $93.50.  But you do need to wait 3 days after getting the license before you get hitched.  

• Options

Is this an Ontario thing??  I'm in Alberta and they didn't care where I got married, so long as it was legal there.  
    Must be, it has to be legal here. Meaning the officiant has to be approved in Ontario and you have to have an Ontario license that you have to file when you get back.
  • Options
    FosmohFosmoh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    There's a great post on the ChitChat board at the moment about people signing the paperwork and getting married 2 weeks later.  The poster is super pissed cos her and her DH have taken off work (used vacation), paid for flights and hotels and are now stuck going to see someone not get married.  It might give some insight into how guests might react to doing the paperwork before.  

I'll go check out the thread for sure.
    I don't PERSONALLY see it as a big deal and i PERSONALLY think it's kind of a silly thing to be offended by but that's ME and i totally understand that people have different views on such things.

But again people always have an opinion on something right? lol

Maybe i'll talk to our guests and see what THEY think about it and if they would be offended if paperwork had to be done before hand. 
  • Options
    Fosmoh said:

I'll go check out the thread for sure.
    I don't PERSONALLY see it as a big deal and i PERSONALLY think it's kind of a silly thing to be offended by but that's ME and i totally understand that people have different views on such things.

But again people always have an opinion on something right? lol

Maybe i'll talk to our guests and see what THEY think about it and if they would be offended if paperwork had to be done before hand. 
    You're guests may not be honest with you. I have been to wedding where guests felt slighted because the couple was rude but were nice to the couple to their face. People want to see you get married, not a reenactment. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards