Destination Weddings Discussions

Airport transportation?

My wedding isn't really destination since my Fi and I live only an hour away, but I thought you guys might have some ideas since you must face similar dilemmas. I still haven't picked my venue because if I go with the venue I want, it's 2 hours from the closest airport. I'm trying to think of affordable ways to transport our guests. I thought about paying for a private limo, which would be fine if everyone arrived at the same time but I'd bet people will be arriving throughout the day so that would be inconvenient for those arriving early if they have to wait for the rest of the guests.

I thought about picking a more convenient location but the location I'm considering has a lot of sentimental meaning and I'd really like to get married there if at all possible.

Any other ideas on airport pick-up/drop-off?

Re: Airport transportation?

• My wedding isn't really destination since my Fi and I live only an hour away, but I thought you guys might have some ideas since you must face similar dilemmas. I still haven't picked my venue because if I go with the venue I want, it's 2 hours from the closest airport. I'm trying to think of affordable ways to transport our guests. I thought about paying for a private limo, which would be fine if everyone arrived at the same time but I'd bet people will be arriving throughout the day so that would be inconvenient for those arriving early if they have to wait for the rest of the guests.

I thought about picking a more convenient location but the location I'm considering has a lot of sentimental meaning and I'd really like to get married there if at all possible.

Any other ideas on airport pick-up/drop-off?
    It is not your responsability to transport guests from the airport, but if you want to you could call those that you know are going to have to fly in and let them know. Something like " Hey Aunt Betty, I know you and Mike are flying in for the wedding. H and I will have a shuttle at the airport from 3-4pm  on such and such date taking people to their hotels. If you would like to catch a ride please let me know on such and such date so we can make sure you have a spot." I imagine they are adults and know how to rent a car otherwise and can anticipate the cost it will be to do so for your event. 

Just keep in mind that when you put your venue before your guests, like in this case, you may have higher rate of decline because the cost is just too much/too inconvienent for the guest. 
  • snowywintersnowywinter member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    I understand we may have a very high decline rate and accept that. Our VIPs have already confirmed they will come, so I'm happy with that. I just don't want to leave guests fending for themselves in a strange state in the winter. While they're adults and perfectly capable of renting a car, some haven't driven in winter weather before and I don't want to force them to do that when I can try to set aside money for their transportation.

Also, really all DWs are putting venue before guest, but I don't think of it as a bad thing so long as all VIPs can come and you're understanding of a high decline rate, which I am. That's why I wanted to ask on this board since everyone is planning DWs and have surely faced similar dilemmas.

Thank you for your comment. I do like idea of telling them in advance what time the shuttle will be running.
  • Is there not a Greyhound (or another coach bus line) running on a set routine schedule from the airport? They might drop guests off at your venue location.
  • There is. There are actually multiple bus lines. I just wanted to try to book something more comfortable for them as the bus ride is 3 hours to the venue city due to stops along the way. I was hoping I could do something similar to Super Shuttle, but they don't go to the city in question and a private limo will leave at one set time unless I rent more than one, which I hope not to have to do.
  • I'm on board with offering shuttle service & letting your guests know the time slots. If it works in the budget, maybe even have an early shuttle and a late shuttle for arrivals & you can do one shuttle for the return trip. If I were a guest and say I arrived at 2:00 PM but your shuttle was there for pickup from 3:00-4:00 PM, I would just find a resturant or bar to get something to eat & drink at and read a book. I would rather do that and save the money for renting a car & then I don't have to drive in possible bad weather either. And same thing with return flight. No harm in getting to the airport early.

Depending on how many people there are, renting a charter bus isn't a bad option. Because then you have lots of room for luggage and everyone has an actual seat. Compared to limo bus where you sit sideways and possibly hip to hip with people you don't know. And those don't always have much storage space either.

• Maybe check and see if they know what times they are coming into town.  Maybe their arrival times will be close enough to allow one pick up that can include all or almost everyone. Or if they haven't booked yet, see if your VIP's can book for times arriving near each other, then just tell other guests that there will be transport from airport to venue available at X:XX.  If they aren't able to book a flight that coordinates with that time, they can find their own transportation. Make sure you allow time between flights and transport that will allow for luggage pick up and such. 

For my sisters wedding, which was about 2 hours from airport, my brother and I were both coming from OOT (different states) and coordinated our flights.  We arrived in town within 1 hour of each other and just rented a car and rode together. It worked out really great.

• You can't possibly expect to know when they are all arriving and departing, or that these times will be anywhere close to each other. If you're really concerned about them driving in winter, I'd move the venue. But I think it's perfectly fine, and probably more convenient for them, to figure this out on their own.
  • This sounds like a total nightmare to try and organize. I would just let your guests figure out their own transportation. 
    *********************************************************************************

• UPDATE: I found a limo company that will do an airport pick-up I can afford. It'll be just one pick-up though, so I'll have to coordinate with guests.to see if most are coming in the night before or day of. My parents have offered to do one additional airport pick-up for anyone left behind. After that, if someone is still left behind, I'm going to budget for their travel to the wedding via bus that leaves directly from the airport and will stop at the venue.

Now that that's all settled, I can feel happy about our venue. Was really freaking out that I made things super inconvenient for our guests.
  • If you still find you have a lot of guests flying in, or the limo doesn't quite get enough people,  would it be easier to do a hotel room block closer to the airport, and hire a private shuttle to transport everyone to ceremony/reception?
  • If you still find you have a lot of guests flying in, or the limo doesn't quite get enough people,  would it be easier to do a hotel room block closer to the airport, and hire a private shuttle to transport everyone to ceremony/reception?
    I think this would be much more difficult because you'd be transporting ALL the guests, which means I'd have to find transportation for 50-75 guests. My way, I just have to find transportation for 10-20 guests. Much cheaper.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards