Chit Chat

Can I wear sequins to a wedding?

I have a wedding to go to in August. The dress code is black tie optional (which, I know, is not a thing, but that's what it is) and is at a country club. Groomsmen are wearing tuxes, bridesmaids are wearing floor-length gowns.

Can I wear a gold-sequined dress? Or is that too much? The dress I want to wear is the knee length version of this.

Re: Can I wear sequins to a wedding?

• I think it's fine.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Totally fine.
  • Thanks. I don't know anyone else who is going, and I'm a little worried about being overdressed/looking like a disco ball. Glad to see this wouldn't ruffle feathers!
  • I'm assuming this wedding is in the evening? I think you'll probably be one of the more "flashy" guests there, but as long as you're comfortable with that, rock it! That dress is gorgeous!!
    *********************************************************************************

• I love that dress, but I always hesitate wearing gold, because if the gold is light at all, it ends up looking ivory.  So, be careful about that.
  • edited July 2015
    One of my best friends called me in a panic about a week before my wedding to ask if she could wear a sequined dress (the dress she had originally planned to wear didn't pan out and this was the only other option she had without having to go out last-minute dress shopping). I laughed because I had never heard of this "rule" that you can't wear something flashy to a wedding, so I told her to go ahead and wear whatever she wanted. She looked fabulous and had a fun time. So I say, sure - go for it.

ETF spelling
  • It's beautiful :) Go for it
  • You're fine. Love the dress. I would totally rock that.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Thanks guys! To answer some questions - 1) @QueerFemme it is more of a yellow gold than champagne... I don't think this will be a problem and 2) @southernbelle0915 the wedding starts at 5:30 pm, so it's not super late, but it is in the evening.
  • I love that dress. I would wear the floor length version but the knee length version will be less "formal" so I can't see a anyone having a problem with this.

• I had a guest at my wedding wear a knee length gold sequin dress and I remember thinking "wow that is a flashy dress.... but she looks great!" (I mean c'mon I still stood out more being the bride and all lol)

Sorry to thread jack but I have a similar question. H and I have a wedding at the Cape next month and I got a new dress. It was on sale and I really liked it. I try and stay away from black dresses because I already have a bunch and wanted something different.
    It's formfitting and bright (with teeny side cut outs) and H made me feel like it was too flashy and got me all worried... thoughts?!

Anniversary
  • I had a guest at my wedding wear a knee length gold sequin dress and I remember thinking "wow that is a flashy dress.... but she looks great!" (I mean c'mon I still stood out more being the bride and all lol)

Sorry to thread jack but I have a similar question. H and I have a wedding at the Cape next month and I got a new dress. It was on sale and I really liked it. I try and stay away from black dresses because I already have a bunch and wanted something different.
    It's formfitting and bright (with teeny side cut outs) and H made me feel like it was too flashy and got me all worried... thoughts?!
    It's cute, but I'm not sure I would wear it to a wedding
  • I think that dress, the green one, is more Miami night club than Cape wedding. It's short, tight, low cut, and has cut outs. I'd do some of those but not all 4.
  • Bubblegum5586Bubblegum5586 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    Hmmm ok... well I rather hear this now, then at the wedding...

In my defense it looks way sexier on the model then on me! It's not nearly as short on me, and I am pretty small chested so not really any cleavage and the cut outs are only noticeable if I am doing side bends! I havn't taken the tag off so I can still return it because I have no idea when I would wear it then!

ETA:

Anniversary
  • Hmmm ok... well I rather hear this now, then at the wedding...

In my defense it looks way sexier on the model then on me! It's not nearly as short on me, and I am pretty small chested so not really any cleavage and the cut outs are only noticeable if I am doing side bends! I havn't taken the tag off so I can still return it because I have no idea when I would wear it then!

ETA:
    I think if the wedding was in a more tropical/beachy locale, like Florida or Mexico or the Caribbean, this would be OK, but this dress doesn't say to me "summer wedding at the Cape" at all.  
    Married 9.12.15

ETA:
    you are right, it does look better on you- do you have a wrap or cardigan you could pair it with?

ETA:
    I think that this dress looks great on you and not too sexy or revealing at all.

Can you tell us more about the wedding?  I feel like if the wedding is outside it would work really well.  But if it is held in a ballroom then it may be too "flashy."  And I am only using flashy not because I think the dress is flashy but because I can't think of another word at the moment.

• Bubblegum - it looks a lot better on you than the model but not something I'd personally wear to a wedding on the cape. A FL beach wedding or DW wedding in Costa Rica? Sure.

I would save it for a vacation. But this is just my personal preference. I don't think it's "wrong" or whatever to wear it.
    *********************************************************************************

• Bubblegum, The dress definitely looks less flashy on you, but I am not sure I would wear it to a wedding. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • @bubblegum5586 Love the dress, but not for a wedding.

@Junebug2015 definitely wear the sequined dress!
  • I forgot to add that I think the sequin dress is totally appropriate for that wedding!
    Married 9.12.15
  • OP - Is that dress from Rent the Runway?  If so, my friend rented it and it looked awesome on her!  But a word to the wise, the insides of her arms were scratched and sore from the slight rubbing of the sequins against her skin all night. She started complaining about it 2 hours in.

Also, this is just me, but I'd probably wear a cocktail dress if an invite says Black Tie Optional.  Not many people would probably wear a tux/floor length gown for Black Tie Optional, unless the Country Club you are going to is super ritzy.

• OP - Is that dress from Rent the Runway?  If so, my friend rented it and it looked awesome on her!  But a word to the wise, the insides of her arms were scratched and sore from the slight rubbing of the sequins against her skin all night. She started complaining about it 2 hours in.

Also, this is just me, but I'd probably wear a cocktail dress if an invite says Black Tie Optional.  Not many people would probably wear a tux/floor length gown for Black Tie Optional, unless the Country Club you are going to is super ritzy.

OP - I love that dress - I think you will look fabulous!

@OliveOilsMom - OP says her dress is the knee-length version of the one pictured. :-)

OP - I love that dress - I think you will look fabulous!

OliveOilsMom - OP says her dress is the knee-length version of the one pictured. :-)

Oops!  Missed that, thanks!
  • I

I have a wedding to go to in August. The dress code is black tie optional (which, I know, is not a thing, but that's what it is) and is at a country club. Groomsmen are wearing tuxes, bridesmaids are wearing floor-length gowns.

Can I wear a gold-sequined dress? Or is that too much? The dress I want to wear is the knee length version of this.
    I got this exact dress from Rent the Runway for an event a few months ago. To @QueerFemme's concern, it is more gold than the picture looks. I thought it looked almost blush/silvery in the picture, but it is very gold colored.

I probably wouldn't go with full sequins, personally, but I don't think it's necessarily inappropriate for a wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards