Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Anyone else planning on doing their own hair/makeup?

I don't want to pay the hundreds of dollars it would cost to have my hair and makeup done professionally (unless I'm having braided extensions which I sometimes do, but I wouldn't be doing that for the wedding, it would just be because I like extensions, and they last for about 3 months), and I am very comfortable doing my own hair and makeup. I have a lot of experience with both, thanks to my theatre background.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Re: Anyone else planning on doing their own hair/makeup?

• I'll be doing my own makeup, since I'm pretty good at that, but I don't feel as confident about doing my own hair for special occasions--I manage it sometimes, but other times it just doesn't behave as expected. I'd say if you're comfortable doing it, go for it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm planning on simple hair -- either flat ironed and curled then pinned into an updo, or a giant bun made with the box braids, so it's not hard at all :) But yeah, makeup -- super easy!
  • Ahhh, I love those giant box braid buns! Curled and pinned sounds pretty complicated to me, though; I play around with doing that for work sometimes and it never comes out the same way twice.

The only thing I'm worried about for makeup is false eyelashes, but I have months and months left to practice that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love the buns too! 

I did curled and pinned for my prom and I think it turned out really well. But, it was a lot of work and took me about 3 hours!!
  • I'm doing my own, I had a trial and I hated it. I also have a theater background and am pretty confident in my abilities to do it myself. I did a mini trial on myself on Friday with just a curling iron and a youtube tutorial and it went great! My worry is making everything water proof( cry-proof) and making it last, but I plan to go to Sephora and have them point me in the right direction for choosing products. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Silverelf2015Silverelf2015 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2015
    I am having my hair done, and like the PP I'm going to go for a consultation at Sephora. My photographer suggested matte products, which I hate, so I talked her into letting me do slightly pearly or satin-matte, to which she agreed (she just said don't use anything glittery, because it makes weird sparkles reflect on faces and then she has to clean them up!). I'm a makeup buff to begin with, I love experimenting and playing with tutorials, etc, and I'm good at it, so I'll very likely do my own makeup, but will go for some professional guidance, especially in regards to products and any extra tips for being ready to be in front of the camera. 
  • One thing I'll suggest for matte vs. pearly...

I often use an illuminating product or two under the foundation, especially on the high points of the face. It photographs beautifully and gives that "lit from within" kind of look without any kind of sparkle. It also helps to eliminate the tendency for matte products to make everything look too flat.

I might, for example, mix a touch of liquidy illuminator with the primer, then use a pearly and light cream blush or illuminator on the cheeks, forehead, and chin, and then stipple or damp-sponge the foundation right on top. Everything blends in a lovely manner and lasts even on oily skin, because I set with powder (judiciously!) and use a setting spray (my favorite is Blue Marble SeLr).
  • Considering doing my own make-up at least, because I'm good at it and know how I like it. I did the hair and make-up for my FSIL's wedding last week and she loved it, so... guess I'm pretty good?

• One thing I'll suggest for matte vs. pearly...

I often use an illuminating product or two under the foundation, especially on the high points of the face. It photographs beautifully and gives that "lit from within" kind of look without any kind of sparkle. It also helps to eliminate the tendency for matte products to make everything look too flat.

I might, for example, mix a touch of liquidy illuminator with the primer, then use a pearly and light cream blush or illuminator on the cheeks, forehead, and chin, and then stipple or damp-sponge the foundation right on top. Everything blends in a lovely manner and lasts even on oily skin, because I set with powder (judiciously!) and use a setting spray (my favorite is Blue Marble SeLr).

Oh, I love these ideas, thank you!!!! :) 

• I'm having my hair done (I can't do hair to save my life!!), but make-up is something I mastered, so I will be doing my own.  I did have a trial done, and I really didn't like how my make-up turned out, so I did splurge on some higher quality stuff than usual.

• I've got some time to think on it, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to do my own makeup.  Partly because I don't feel like spending that much money and partly because I want to look like me on my wedding day some some generic Bride.  Hair I may get done professionally just so I can be sure it's vibrant enough and won't rub off on the dress.
  • I am also doing my own hair & make-up. I don't trust the way other people apply my make-up. Plus I am EXTREMELY OCD about my mascara and HATE clumpy lashes. Recently, I had an awful experience with having a salon style my hair for a wedding I was in and asked the woman for a simple hairstyle (hair half up with loose curls) and ended up looking like a damn poodle! Thank God there was another 2 hours before the ceremony because I had to TRY and make it look somewhat presentable. Essentially I paid roughly $100 + tip for a hairstyle that was horrendous. I know I could have asked her to fix it but it just seemed easier and more time efficient to fix it myself. I'm going to spare myself all the aggravation on my OWN wedding day and just do it all myself. I know what I like and what looks best on me so it's the only logical choice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would be totally comfortable doing my own makeup, but I would not be confident in doing my own hair, even if both of my arms were still working right. Some days it's just not as cooperative as others, depending on the weather/humidity or what kind of shape it is in due to coloring/heat styling etc... That is not a day I would want to find it being less than cooperative. There is no way I can physically do it myself now, but I would still not have chosen to add that extra stress to the day. Besides, sometimes it just feels good to have that little bit of pampering on a special occasion.

This is one of those A vs. B things. I'd give up favors or fancy accessories (RB pillow/FG basket/guest book set etc...) if needed if it meant not having to stress over my hair.

• I'm having my hair professionally done. I am capable of doing nice updo's but not very good at making them 'stay put' for extended time.

I am doing my own makeup. I am a fair skinned redhead and have had some pretty aweful makeup experiences with people who just don't understand how to work with redheads. I don't normally wear makeup so months ago I did a bunch of research into makeup, splurged and bought myself some high quality stuff and got practicing. I pretty much do my 'wedding makeup' look every saturday to make sure I've got it down hahaha.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards