Chit Chat

Best/worst age to get married

So, did you hit the target in order to avoid divorce??

I got married at 33, so I'm close to safe, but I would have been safer at 29 supposedly... even though I was dating a major asshole.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/07/17/the-best-age-to-get-married-if-you-dont-want-to-get-divorced/

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Best/worst age to get married

• Early 20's so I'm on the downslope. I'll take that. 
  • Heck yeah, 31. 

DH married at 22 and was divorced by 26. He married me at 34 so we're going to have a long and happy life together, of course! 

• Thank god I didnt get married at 10! I've still got a solid 10 years, not bad
  • I should have known that I'd get divorced when I got married at 10. Damn.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Thank god I didnt get married at 10! I've still got a solid 10 years, not bad

Isn't it shocking that the difference between married 10 year Olds and married 15 year Olds is so small?

• I'm 33 and FI is 32, so we should be safe.... 
    Married 9.12.15
  • I'm 33 and FI is 32, so we should be safe.... 

US too!!

• luckya23 said:
    Thank god I didnt get married at 10! I've still got a solid 10 years, not bad
    Isn't it shocking that the difference between married 10 year Olds and married 15 year Olds is so small?

It really is. And that 15 = 45. My mom is getting married and shes around there, the poor woman, theres no hope for her at all!
  • So it looks like we have a  19 percent chance of getting divorce.

Which means we have an 81 percent chance of making it.  I'll take those odds.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We were 26.  Not bad.  And a lot of people I know think we waited "too long".  Sigh.  

SaveSave
  • We are both 30, married at 29. I was engaged previously at 23. REALLY glad I didn't marry that guy.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• 32 for me, so I'm good but DH was 41.  So, he's going to want out and I'm not going to let him??  I did tell him I'd clean him out if he ever tried to leave.  ;)

• We're both 30. Nailed it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • CMGragain said:
    This is one of the silliest articles on marriage I have ever read.
    Successful marriage comes from many different variable factiors,  Age is one of them, but is really a small part of the picture.
    I would like to know where ten-year-olds can get married, though.
    Agreed. There are so many factors that go into the success of a marriage, and while there appears to be a correlation between divorce and age at marriage, that doesn't mean there's causation.

And I am fairly certain they were extrapolating regarding divorce rates at age 10. That's not legal anywhere in the U.S., at least.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm shooting for 85, to see if my patience and tolerance levels improve. 
    Not betting on it. I'll reevaluate the question at 84.
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    lyndausvi said:

So it looks like we have a  19 percent chance of getting divorce.

Which means we have an 81 percent chance of making it.  I'll take those odds.
    CMGragain said:

This is one of the silliest articles on marriage I have ever read.
    Successful marriage comes from many different variable factiors,  Age is one of them, but is really a small part of the picture.
    I would like to know where ten-year-olds can get married, though.

--------------------preemptive box-------------------------

I ditto both of these ladies.

I got married in my early 20's. I get very tired of the shtick about how getting married in your teens or early 20's is a bad idea. In the marriages I have seen, including the ones of people who have been married to the same person for 25 - 50 years, it does not come down to how old you were when you tied the knot. It comes down to whether they talked about the big things beforehand (finances, kids, religion) and made sure they were on the same page, and how hard they were willing to work once the honeymoon period was over.

ETA: well lookee there! The boxes worked!
  • I'm 28, FI is 30.
    Both of us have birthdays immediately following the wedding so we'll say 29 and 31.

Nailed it! And here people have been bugging us for being so 'old' because my siblings and all my cousins were all married at 23 or younger.

• Articles like this are so idiotic. You cannot paint all people with the same brush. I have friends that married at 19 and 20. They're now in their mid 30s and are still together. Yet myself and two other friends are on our second marriages, having each married in our early to mid 20s. I have a second cousin that married in her 40s and she and her husband are happy and going strong for 15 years.
  • I will be 33 when I get married and F.I will be 32. However .We did move in together when we were 22. So the other study about couples living together a long time before marriage says the odds are against us.

May the odds be ever in your favor.
  • I'll be 24 when I walk down the aisle. 20% chance.

I wonder how this works for couples with age gaps? My parents were 16 years apart.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• My SIL  married at age 18 to a 23 year old man from Africa.  They have been happily married for 40 years.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • edited July 2015
    My first marriage, I was 28...since I said first, my risk wasn't that low I guess :p
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• How long till the first SS sees this and panics that she's getting married a year too late/early and uses it to justify the PPD??

• Pay attention to the confidence intervals on that graph - basically the data points at the young/old end of the spectrum are B.S., probably because most people get married in their 20s-early 30s. Also, all of these age groups still face relatively good risk when compared to the national average. No one is "doomed"

I do find it funny that they suggest that the increase in divorce rates at older ages is because the "pool is winnowed down to exclude the individuals most predisposed to succeed at matrimony". I will say, as someone who dated A LOT in her mid-30s that this is true. I'll go tell my 40 year-old husband he was slim pickin's.
  • I find studies like this a little silly because success of marriage depends on so many other factors: education level, income, sexual compatibility, etc. Age is just a small part of it.

FI and I are both 25, so we're not totally screwed. Hooray!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Pay attention to the confidence intervals on that graph - basically the data points at the young/old end of the spectrum are B.S., probably because most people get married in their 20s-early 30s. Also, all of these age groups still face relatively good risk when compared to the national average. No one is "doomed"

I do find it funny that they suggest that the increase in divorce rates at older ages is because the "pool is winnowed down to exclude the individuals most predisposed to succeed at matrimony". I will say, as someone who dated A LOT in her mid-30s that this is true. I'll go tell my 40 year-old husband he was slim pickin's.
    Interestingly in my stats course this week I am learning about confidence intervals. I guess they really do pop up everywhere!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards