Wedding Etiquette Forum

RSVP

Do you have to send out RSVPs or even have people RSVP if you are only having and small cake and punch reception?

Re: RSVP

• It's the responsibility of the recipient to RSVP.  How they RSVP is up to them.  RSVP cards are a courtesy, but not required.

As far as needing an RSVP, that is up to you.   How small?  Will you have enough cake and punch?   Most people do need an RSVP of some sort for food and space purposes.    In your case, if you do not mind getting a cake large enough for the invite list regardless, then no you do not have to them officially RSVP.  Make your you will have enough beverages too.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • If your small cake and punch reception is in the same place as the ceremony (church fellowship hall), then you may put "R.s.v.p." at the bottom left corner of the invitation.  It is up to your guests to contact you.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • You might find it easier for planning to know exactly how many are coming.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Unless you are prepared to have enough cake and punch for everyone you invite, regardless if they come or not, then RSVPs would be a nice thing to have.

• Depending on how many people would be invited, to have people RSVP will help you to make sure you have enough cake & punch but not too much either. If it's only say a dozen people, not as big of deal. But if you are going over 20 guests, I think RSVP would help with head count on food.
  • You need to have enough food, plates, and chairs for everyone. If you can do that without having people respond then there is no need to request that they do.
  • You need to have enough food, plates, and chairs  (and drinks!) for everyone. If you can do that without having people respond then there is no need to request that they do.
    FTFY!
    But yes all of this.

• You need to have enough food, plates, and chairs for everyone. If you can do that without having people respond then there is no need to request that they do.

Ditto this. I had a cake and punch reception and did not have people RSVP. My cousin did as well. My mom and I estimated how many people would come (about 200 invited, if I recall correctly, and about 95 or so came). We estimated that 110-115 would come. We had extra cake (who doesn't love extra cake) and punch and plates and forks (which H and I have since used).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards