Chit Chat

Cubicle Decorating Ideas

So I'm looking for advice to spruce up my cubicle at work- I already have a photo collage and some cute desk supplies. Any more creative ideas?

Re: Cubicle Decorating Ideas

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    So I'm looking for advice to spruce up my cubicle at work- I already have a photo collage and some cute desk supplies. Any more creative ideas?

I would leave the cutesy stuff at home. Your desk is supposed to be a professional space. Maybe get a plant?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • What type of cubicle do you have?  Do you have fabric walls?

I have two cute lamps.  I Prefer lamp light over that horrible fluorescent light.  I also bought these (CLICK) mirrors (3 packs) from Ikea and, since I have fabric walls, used these (CLICK) to hang them up on the walls behind my computer screens.  Not only does it help reflect the lamp light (lamp is also behind the computer screens) but it allows me to see who is behind me.

Other then that I don't have much going on.  I use a white pitcher to hold my pens and highlighters and I get cute kleenex boxes.  I also have a pretty throw tossed over the extra chair in my cube in case I get super cold.

• KatWAG said:

I would leave the cutesy stuff at home. Your desk is supposed to be a professional space. Maybe get a plant?
    This. I get wanting some personalization but too much looks juvenile and unprofessional. I have a picture of my dog, a Bears mousepad and a 5 X 7 "painting" done by penguin feet. Any more than that would feel locker-ey to me. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • KatWAG said:

I agree. Maybe I'm just old and jaded, but when I see someone's cubicle decked out with cutesy stuff, I roll my eyes. 
  • I have a few framed photos (my dog, my FI, my family), and a lot of calendars now that I'm looking around. I have one on each of the three walls! I like them though because they're colorful and cute without being too much. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Look for stuff that is functional, but also decorative. I have 
    Don't just have decorations for the sake of decorations, but you don't have to have a completely sterile feeling work environment.
  • I'm at a front desk so no personalization here.  But I used to have a bulletin board that I backed with nice paper, and then just leaned it up against the cubicle wall since I couldn't hang it.
    Married 9.12.15
  • I have a couple photos and usually try and have fresh flowers on my desk as well as a candy jar. I am at the front desk though and as companies first point of contact I really don't feel like it would be professional to have many personal things. Heck, I even have to keep my desk extra organized too because who wants a messy desk to be the first impression of the company.

• Look for stuff that is functional, but also decorative. I have 
    Don't just have decorations for the sake of decorations, but you don't have to have a completely sterile feeling work environment.
    I agree with all of this. When I had a cube, I got myself a fun colored wrist rest and mouse pad, a fun calendar, a coffee mug that I loved, and put up some pictures. Nothing juvenile but it made it feel more inviting and work slightly more tolerable.
  • As I look around, I have a dual picture frame- one side a wedding pic and the other side H & I on the Great Wall. Aaaaaand that's it. Literally nothing else in this entire office (and I have a corner office not just a cubicle). I think @maggie0829 's sounds great, a few nice things here and there, make it comfy, I don't think it sounds unprofessional at all. It's not like she has Backstreet Boys posters geez.

A lady near me is completely over the top- she has like 3 lamps, a Kuerig table with supplies (there is a free one in the caf), paintings on the walls, an entire bookshelf with figurines and pictures of her son and gym bag/ exercise bands (leave it in the car?).

• jenna8984 said:

As I look around, I have a dual picture frame- one side a wedding pic and the other side H & I on the Great Wall. Aaaaaand that's it. Literally nothing else in this entire office (and I have a corner office not just a cubicle). I think @maggie0829 's sounds great, a few nice things here and there, make it comfy, I don't think it sounds unprofessional at all. It's not like she has Backstreet Boys NSYNC posters geez.

A lady near me is completely over the top- she has like 3 lamps, a Kuerig table with supplies (there is a free one in the caf), paintings on the walls, an entire bookshelf with figurines and pictures of her son and gym bag/ exercise bands (leave it in the car?).

FTFY because I prefer NSYNC ;)

Oh I also have a picture frame that holds 5, 5x7 pictures.  It holds some of my favorite wedding pictures.  I also have pictures of my two nieces and a picture of Olaf that my niece colored for me.

I have been wanting to get a small refrigerator (they have some pretty colored ones at Pottery Barn - Dorm) mainly because I would love to keep some sodas and water at my desk and the refrigerators at work I think are growing odd things.

But I definitely think there is a way to decorate your cube and still be professional.

• A few cubes ago, I bought a fabric remnant and hung it up along the wall so that I wasn't in wall to wall Beigeland.  I've moved so much the last few years that I stopped putting it up.  It wasn't a hugely contrasting color, just something that wasn't beige.

I also used to have a large collection of Phillies bobbleheads, but I took them home the last time I moved offices and haven't brought them back.  It's been about 8 months now and I just keep forgetting to bring a few back.

Right now, I have a Jimmy Buffett mouse pad, an 8x10 photo magnet of H & I from our wedding and a smaller picture of my friends and I.  I also have a calendar with flowers for each month to help add some color.  I also have a wreath that I hang over my wall, but I don't see it when I'm sitting in my cube.

• The only thing personal in my office is a map of mountains that I want to climb. Each Monday morning I cross off the list whatever I did the past weekend and fantasize about the next weekend.
  • A few cubes ago, I bought a fabric remnant and hung it up along the wall so that I wasn't in wall to wall Beigeland.  I've moved so much the last few years that I stopped putting it up.  It wasn't a hugely contrasting color, just something that wasn't beige.

I have been wanting to do this, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Why do they feel the need to make cubes in such ugly colors?

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

I like the ideas others have mentioned about functional items that are also cute. I'm not a fan of seeing someone's 10 picture frames, Disney collection, etc on their desks but then again I've always kept stuff to a minimum because I never wanted to have to pack up a bunch of stuff when I left the job.

My only decorations are a calendar and a little sign that says "a cluttereddesk is a sign of genius" bc it made me laugh at Kohl's one day and I have an "organized chaos desk

• jenna8984 said:

As I look around, I have a dual picture frame- one side a wedding pic and the other side H & I on the Great Wall. Aaaaaand that's it. Literally nothing else in this entire office (and I have a corner office not just a cubicle). I think @maggie0829 's sounds great, a few nice things here and there, make it comfy, I don't think it sounds unprofessional at all. It's not like she has Backstreet Boys posters geez.

I have a few photos of my dogs and H, and a black and white photo of Marilyn Monroe. And a plain paper calendar cuz I still like to write appointments by hand.  I also hung up some clinical diagrams as a reminder of some stuff that comes up a lot in my research, but they're pretty colors so to me they add color and they're functional; double bonus. I agree that when you sit in a cube all day every day, it should at least look and feel comfortable to you. 

As to the bolded, in the building I used to sit in there was a lady in IT who had a hot pink throw blanket in her cube, hot pink saucer chair, hot pink plastic beads hanging up, hot pink mirrors, hot pink fake tulips in a hot pink vase (I think you get the idea) and I definitely rolled my eyes every time I walked by. It looked like a teenager's dorm room. Like "OMG I totes moved away from home for the first time and now I can mega decorate with cute stuff LOL!" 
  • I have a picture of me and H, a Jets flag, some precedents on the wall and a couple baby pictures of the boss' grandkids. We're not in cubicles though, we're just spread out on the walls with cork board on the wall in front of us. 

I have been wanting to do this, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Why do they feel the need to make cubes in such ugly colors?
    I think the concept of neutral colored cubes is great, but when they have so much of it, the neutral color takes over and everything is just boring.  It would be great if every few panels a different solid color could be installed, just for some contract.  Right now, my cube is beige with bits of blue in it, so its not as bad.  But I think they have finally stopped moving us all around, so I should be safe to hang up some new items.  I just need to figure out what I want to do now!
  • I have a picture of me and H, a Jets flag, some precedents on the wall and a couple baby pictures of the boss' grandkids. We're not in cubicles though, we're just spread out on the walls with cork board on the wall in front of us. 
    You're a Jet's fan.  You poor soul. It must be so frustrating for you.

Signed,

The wife of a Jet's Fan.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

I think the concept of neutral colored cubes is great, but when they have so much of it, the neutral color takes over and everything is just boring.  It would be great if every few panels a different solid color could be installed, just for some contract.  Right now, my cube is beige with bits of blue in it, so its not as bad.  But I think they have finally stopped moving us all around, so I should be safe to hang up some new items.  I just need to figure out what I want to do now!
    I would love a beige cube.  Our cubs are blue, but like a blue that has been out in the sun too long and rubbed all over with dirty hands.  And the chairs are a maroon so not a lot of nice colors going on in my office LOL!

• I have an office so the way I can decorate may be a little different. I have a bookshelf with books, files, and awards the town has received. On my way I have two bulletin boards. One has pictures on it from the wedding, engagement pictures, honeymoon, family etc. The other has work reminders. I have a panting of a cat I did at my last job on the wall by my desk.  My diploma and certification on the wall.. On my desk I have a pig paperweight, a daily quote thing, and a cute coaster.

I would love a beige cube.  Our cubs are blue, but like a blue that has been out in the sun too long and rubbed all over with dirty hands.  And the chairs are a maroon so not a lot of nice colors going on in my office LOL!
    Do you work in my office? Our cubes are a blue just like that, chairs are maroon, and desks are like... beige/pink/gray/some color so hideous that it's indescribable and can't be assigned a single existing color name. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    I have a picture of me and H, a Jets flag, some precedents on the wall and a couple baby pictures of the boss' grandkids. We're not in cubicles though, we're just spread out on the walls with cork board on the wall in front of us. 
    You're a Jet's fan.  You poor soul. It must be so frustrating for you.

Signed,

The wife of a Jet's Fan.

Boxboxbox

The Jets flag is actually bossmans. I would prefer to have Broadway plastered all over my cork board lol
  • I bought a cute printable calendar on Etsy that's just simple black calligraphy on white paper, a gold pen holder from Target and my own gold hanging file ( also from Target). I also have a bulletin board someone left behind and I have been toying with the idea of some cute thumbtacks, like the bow shaped ones from Kate Spade. Its all pretty simple. I also keep Meyers all purpose spray in Gardenia on my desk for a quick over all dusting or when I want a little aromatherapy ( but my cube is not super close to anyone else). 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I guess I am the odd man out OP.  I certainly don't have a bunch of "cutesy" things but I do have some things that make my cube more comfortable.  I mean I am spending 8-9 hours a day, 5 days a week in the damn thing, I may as well feel comfortable.  And staring at 3 ugly blue walls and an empty desk is not something I want to do for 40 hours a week.
    I agree with this. If I had to stare at my screen and empty walls, I would definitely be completely depressed at work. I have 2 cactus plants in front of my screen, and I actually have a banner hanging that my coworkers made for me for my work bridal shower. They put a lot of work into it (It was not store bought), and I didn't like the idea of just throwing it out. I have a few photobooth pics up (2 from my wedding, and 2 from my company of my coworker and I - my company had a photobooth in the office a few months ago). I have a picture frame (a gift from the company with our logo) with a pic of my work friend and I,a frame with a pic of H and I, as well as some other pictures on my wall. My favorite is a picture of Mr. Big. He was the Life Insurance Leading Man a few years ago, and the picture is from an article that was in our company newsletter, so I cut out the article and hung it up.Oh, and I decorate around the holidays. I have a Christmas Tree that I put up on my desk and stuff. 

I personally don't care what people do in their cubicles, and I think it's pretty cool when people personalize their work space. If I look at someone's bare cubicle I get a little depressed inside thinking how drab it must be to sit there all day lol.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

Nice!!!!! 

Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• @novella1186 - luckily our desks are the one decent thing we have.  I mean they aren't anything special (grey speckled) but at least they aren't hurtful to the eye.

• randomsloverandomslove member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    My desk was decked out when I had one... but pretty heavily in work related stuff.

For instance, I had challenge coins (I was in the military at the time and challenge coins are a tradition) displayed. I had a shadow box from my previous unit, promotion and award warrants. Drawings given to me by kids I helped mentor, pictures of people at work events I'd organized. Most personal was a note my mom had left at my desk one time when she visited.

I also had some unique pen holders and clothespin holders that were gifts.

Everyone thought I was weird for having so much stuff related to my personality and work-life. Shortly after I arrived at my second duty station, I noticed everyone was starting to make their desk more "theirs."

ETA: I also had some goofy-themed word-of-the-day calendars (a new one each year) that were Christmas gifts. And one large calendar that I could write on... and a TMNT mug that was a gift from one of the officers....

• I have a desk rather than a cubicle. There are 4 of us in a little room with glass walls. My desk has an orchid, a Beanie Baby, and, attached to my little desk lamp is a twisty stuffed flower.

The flower has been with me for years, the orchid was a recent gift, and the Beanie Baby is a team joke (one of my coworkers is obsessed so I brought it in to make her giggle).

It always bugs me when there's so much junk on the desk that there's no room to spread out.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards