Chit Chat

Cubicle Decorating Ideas

2»

Re: Cubicle Decorating Ideas

• Cube life.. can suck the LIFE right out of you with the gray walls! When I worked in one I had a fun lamp because I had the over heads (and we had managed to turn off most of them), a picture of me, FI and the dog, and a couple pictures of the mountains so I could stare at them when I wanted to rage at a customer. Also had a space heater and ottoman under my desk, I'm short and nobody could see it so I used it to get comfy. 

Another guy in the office had string lights, a toaster, microwave, mini fridge, plant, and knives, forks, spoons.. not going to lie, it was awesome, just walking in to talk to him made you feel so much happier!

Christmas was another story, cube land turned into the north pole and it rocked! I left all of my stuff that we used to decorate behind and the last two years without me there they have not failed to impress by putting it all up!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I haven't done anything to my office when I moved in (1.5 year ago), other than office related stuff (tracking posters), but we were cleaning out an old storage room and found some random pictures framed, so I put one up. Other than that my office is plain and boring, but messy.
  • WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    I share an office in the phys-ed area with t he other PE teacher.  I have a shit ton of stuff up on my board - schedules, calendar and lots of photos of the teams I coach or notes/drawings students have done for me.  But I can get away with that being a teacher.  

I also keep my "bling board" which is where I put all of the medals I'won through competing/coaching.  My students know a lot about my athletics that I do, so I have them on a small bulletin board in my office.  What else would I ever do with that stuff.  

We also have a small fridge and microwave, os the 2 fridges/3 microwaves in the staffroom for 80 staff doesn't cut it at lunch

ETA - We're also the proverbial dumping ground.  Whenever anyone borrows PE equipment, or teaches in the gym, they leave everything on our desks - borrowed pinnies, the old forgotten coffee cups, marking, etc.  It sucks

• I've got a fair amount of personalizing knick knacks:
    • A brightly-painted owl jewelry dish that holds my paper clips
    • Three of our e-pics in simple black frames
    • An origami bird one of my kids folded for me at my old job
    • A resin owl figurine that just sits there and looks pretty
    • My Minions that FI gave me for my birthday and Christmas
    • A candle that says, "Every day is an adventure; enjoy the journey"
    • A huge ugly desk fan that I'm about to jazz up
    • A Peace Frogs Tervis tumbler
    • A polka-dotted insulated cup with a straw
    On top of all that, my monitor has two bows from gifts I've gotten since I started here, and a bracelet and a yoyo that were gifts on my last day with the kids. I also have little funny quotes and pictures, a hard copy of an email FI sent me that was cute as all get out, and a few motivational pictures to get me through the shitty days taped up on my monitor and down onto my desk surface. 

I honestly cannot imagine coming in to my desk without knickknacks, making it feel like my own. I don't think I could tolerate coming to work every day without it being a comfortable place. 

That being said, my desk does have to stay uncluttered or I get a little crazy. Like, I've got a couple of post-its that I have to hold on to that are just hanging out, and it's driving me nuts. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited July 2015
    These are such great ideas ladies! I especially love the idea of putting fabric up on the cubicle walls and getting some sort of lamp to put out a bit nicer light than the overhead fluorescents. 

Oh and whoever said Poppin desk accessories, that's what I have! Love love love them- I got all mine in coral and aqua and I've gotten so many compliments.

Anyway, good point to those of you who brought up concerns about professionalism- luckily that isn't a concern here (I mean outside of like, don't have things that are straight-up inappropriate). I'm a writer working is a tiny office with four other writers so we definitely aren't "on display". And since we are "creative" individuals everyone encourages making your space personalized here. I think it honestly would affect the tone of my writing if I was just looking at these blank walls (the aforementioned ugly blue) and empty desk all day, I'd be so sad.

• The only personalized items in my cube are my mug and my DavidsTea cup. I use to have one picture of my nephew but I took it down. I do have my five year service award hanging up but that's from my company.
  • I've got a fair amount of personalizing knick knacks:
    • A brightly-painted owl jewelry dish that holds my paper clips
    • Three of our e-pics in simple black frames
    • An origami bird one of my kids folded for me at my old job
    • A resin owl figurine that just sits there and looks pretty
    • My Minions that FI gave me for my birthday and Christmas
    • A candle that says, "Every day is an adventure; enjoy the journey"
    • A huge ugly desk fan that I'm about to jazz up
    • A Peace Frogs Tervis tumbler
    • A polka-dotted insulated cup with a straw
    On top of all that, my monitor has two bows from gifts I've gotten since I started here, and a bracelet and a yoyo that were gifts on my last day with the kids. I also have little funny quotes and pictures, a hard copy of an email FI sent me that was cute as all get out, and a few motivational pictures to get me through the shitty days taped up on my monitor and down onto my desk surface. 

I honestly cannot imagine coming in to my desk without knickknacks, making it feel like my own. I don't think I could tolerate coming to work every day without it being a comfortable place. 

That being said, my desk does have to stay uncluttered or I get a little crazy. Like, I've got a couple of post-its that I have to hold on to that are just hanging out, and it's driving me nuts. 
    For your post its, you could stick/tape them on one sheet of regular size paper in an orderly fashion, then pin that to your wall or whatever.  I used to do that for numbers I needed to keep handy and it made it seem less messy.
    Married 9.12.15
  • I also REALLY want a second hand Nespresso machine for my desk, because I need coffee all the time, but I worry that will look excessive lol. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't really have anything. I have a window on one side, one cubicle wall between my desk and the next one with a hanging cupboard over it, and the other two sides are open. Even my computer background is whatever the default was. I have meant to bring in a couple pics of H and I but never have. I do have a little Alaska state flag, but I only got that on at a parade I was shooting on July 4 and it's not even hung up.

I'd like to get a large print or poster of mountains or oceans to hang on the wall

My coworker has TONs of crap. For starters, he has an eternally messy desk. He has bobble heads of basketball players and a poster of Phil from duck dynasty and posters and window decals and a fully decorated one-foot Christmas tree all of his fave team. He has one of those silly magnet things with all the different moods to indicate his mood (that he never uses) and various bumper stickers on his cabinets. It's kinda crazy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards