Flowers

Real vs. Silk

I recently got engaged and I've been considering doing some of my flowers real and some of them silk. I definitely want my bouquet, BM bouquets, and boutonnieres to be real, but is it tacky to do the centerpieces with silk? Will everyone be able to tell a huge difference from the real flowers? Thanks in advance!  

Re: Real vs. Silk

• labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Yes I think people will be able to see a difference. Is it tacky....I guess not? Personally, I don't think you save very much doing silk flowers over real ones. If it's a budget concern, come up with a $ value of what you want to spend and find out what a florist can do. You can also do the bulk ordering thing and take on the task of arranging your centerpieces yourself (or doing completely non floral centerpieces - like lanterns and candles).

• Yes people will be able to tell that you are using fake flowers in your centerpieces.  To get very nice and real looking silks you will be spending more money then you would if you just went with real flowers for everything.

So unless you plan on using inexpensive (meaning you will be able to tell they are inexpensive...not good quality) silks then you really won't be saving much money if any.

• It depends on the quality of fake flowers you use.  We used Real Touch flowers for my bouquets & decorations.  We received a lot of compliments on them and very few people realized they weren't real.  My photographer even tried smelling them and I still had to convince her they were fake.  And the hotel maid put my MOH's bouquet in water, thinking they were real. 

Some of the high quality fakes will cost as much as, or maybe even more than, real flowers. Even with Real Touch or high quality fakes, some varieties look more real than others. But, even if people notice that you used fake flowers in the centerpieces, does that really matter?

• PrincessLeia, thank you SO MUCH for letting me know of Real Touch and your review.  I am SO using them!

• We used fake flowers... When it came to our budget we had to pick what we wanted to spend where.. Flowers to me wasn't a big issue. We got a TON of compliments on them and the wedding coordinators from the church tried to water them. So no I think done right they don't look fake at all.
  • Yes people will be able to tell that you are using fake flowers in your centerpieces.  To get very nice and real looking silks you will be spending more money then you would if you just went with real flowers for everything.

So unless you plan on using inexpensive (meaning you will be able to tell they are inexpensive...not good quality) silks then you really won't be saving much money if any.
    Not necessarily.  Good quality silk flowers often *can* cost AS MUCH as fresh flowers, but not necessarily more.  And the advantage of spending the money on silk flowers is that you then have them forever and can reuse them or resell them.

Fresh flowers die, and in all of the weddings I have been in or to the bridal bouquets were typically already wilting and browning by the reception and in some cases the centerpieces were too.

Hobby Lobby has the best quality silk flowers I have seen- I'm not familiar with Real Touch.  The Hobby Lobby flowers also go on sale at 50% off every other week.

I used Hobby Lobby flowers in my bouquets and in my centerpieces, and not only did I get a ton of compliments from everyone on how nice the arrangements looked, but I spent a fraction of the cost as compared to using fresh flowers.  For instance, my bouquet was a large cascade and in my area that alone would have been $500+ 

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• If the centerpieces were submerged (the guests couldn't touch them or anything that way) then I don't think they would know they were fake.  This is what I mean: http://cache.elizabethannedesigns.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Tropical-Submerged-Flower-Centerpiece-600x900.jpg
  • I've been really struggling with this myself but I really feel real flowers just give a touch of class you can't get with silk. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards