Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

How does this menu look? Feels like something is missing...

Our venue has a few pre-arranged buffet menus available and we're leaning towards this one:

Taste of Italy
-Tossed Caesar Salad
-Chicken Parmesan
-Spinach Lasagna Rolls with Parma Rosa Sauce
-Chef-Attended Pasta Station: Selection of Two Pastas and Sauces, White & Red, with Mixed Vegetables & Sautéed Chicken
-Garlic Bread

We'll also have a selection of 5-8 different apps. 

We can make additions to any of the buffet menus (extra sides/salads, carving stations, extra add ins to the pasta station, etc) and while all the food on this one is fantastic, I seriously can't help but feel like its missing SOMETHING, but I just can't put my finger on what. 

Anyone have any ideas? I'm feeling stumped. 

Re: How does this menu look? Feels like something is missing...

• Oversized slice of yummy cake with fruit and scoop of ice cream... 

Really, the only thing I can think is "carb/starch overload" in reading that menu...  And, as much as I love Caesar, for large groups I prefer tossed because of the dressing (my husband can't do the dressing on Caesar salad, so having dressing on the side is always appreciated!)  In a sense it's sort of a mini way to have something for those with food sensitivities have something to put on their plate - as long as the croutons are on the side as well!!!).  If you've got any guests with Celiac's they won't be able to eat much of anything on the menu.  Of course, you know your guests and many times venues will offer an option for someone with an allergy/intolerance if it's planned/ordered ahead of time, but that'd be on a case by case basis...

• Maybe one more vegetable option, that's not part of the pasta station?  I think it all looks really heavy so having one more lighter side dish might be appreciated.
    Married 9.12.15
  • sugarunicornsugarunicorn member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2015
    Veggies, thats it! I'll definitely talk to the planner about adding a veggie side or two. I'm going to upgrade to the full salad bar since its only $7 more per person and gives a LOT more options for people to customize as they like:

Tossed Caesar Salad, Mixed Greens, Tomatoes, Onions, Carrots, Cucumber, Black Olives, Cut Corn, Chopped Egg, Banana Peppers, Croutons, Bacon Bits, Shredded Cheese and Assorted Salad Dressings

I'm thinking perhaps I might swap out the chicken parm with something like a grilled pork loin or bruschetta chicken (also grilled) so folks who don't want pasta or heavy breading can have plenty of options. 

Our apps are also on the lighter side to balance out the heaviness of a full italian, pasta heavy dinner. 

We will have special options available for anyone with dietary restrictions - we're putting a line on the RSVP to note anything like that (vegan/veggie/dairy free/gluten free/celiac etc). Our venue is really great about accommodating those types of requests with a great meal rather than forcing guests to eat nothing but sides or get a meal that seems like an afterthought. 
  • I like the idea of swapping the parm for something lighter, and a salad bar would be great.  When I'm at a wedding I don't like to eat a lot of heavy food, that way I can try everything without getting full and have room for dessert, and not feel like I need a nap afterwards :)
    Married 9.12.15
  • Looks fine to me.  

I'm not sure what the other PP's are talking about. 

Your only proteins are the chicken parm and the OPTION of adding chicken to the pasta station. Key word OPTION.  Meaning it's a maned station where the guests pick what they want.  The options are 2 different pastas, 2 different sauces, veggies and sautéed chicken. 

I do not think there is pasta overload either.  In theory you can go to the pasta station and only order veggies and/or just chicken.

The lasagna is veggie (I'm assuming since it's spinach lasagna). 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'm a huge fan of this menu. I would love to eat any of that at someone else's wedding! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards